Quantcast
Whistler wants Alberta oil and gas company to pay for resort's climate change costs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler wants Alberta oil and gas company to pay for resort's climate change costs

Default Whistler wants Alberta oil and gas company to pay for resort's climate change costs

The people in this country have gone crazy...

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...e-27fd519828a4

Mayor Jack Crompton is asking Calgary-based CNRL to pay in to "the costs of climate change being experienced by Whistler," such as wildfire protection

RYAN RUMBOLT Updated: December 13, 2018

The municipality of Whistler, B.C., is asking the oil and gas industry to pay its “fair share” by chipping in for budget costs related to climate change.

In a letter addressed to Calgary-based Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. dated Nov. 15, Whistler Mayor Jack Crompton said the town’s taxpayers “are paying 100 per cent of the costs” associated with climate change events such as “drought, flooding, and extreme weather.”

He’s asking CNRL to pay in to “the costs of climate change being experienced by Whistler,” including the municipalities’ “$1.4 million investment in community wildfire protection activities” for 2018.

“As a town with a population of less than 15,000 people, this is a significant cost to bear along with costs associated with impacts to winter and summer sports tourism,” he said in the letter.

The request is part of a campaign by West Coast Environmental Law and the Union of British Columbia Municipalities “demanding accountability from fossil fuel companies,” the campaign website reads.

More than a dozen B.C. municipalities dating back to 2017 have sent similar letters to energy companies, including an open letter from the District of West Vancouver.

CNRL was the only Canadian company to receive the Whistler letter, but similar requests for funding from the resort were sent to 19 international producers, including British Petroleum, ExxonMobil, ConoPhillips, Royal Dutch Shell and Devon Energy.

A draft of the letter was penned by the resort’s outgoing council before a municipal election on Oct. 20.

Crompton said he acknowledges Whistler “benefits greatly” from tourism dollars from the fossil fuel industry, saying Whistler is not ignoring its own role in climate change but rather encouraging “action on climate change.”

“Our goal was to draw attention to climate change. In no way was our aim to cause anyone to feel unwelcome in Whistler,” he said in a statement.

Tristan Goodman, president of the Explorers and Producers Association of Canada, said he understands the issues being raised around climate change, but added singling out companies over a global problem doesn’t seem logical.

He said the letters will likely rankle people who rely on the energy sector and even urged travellers to “reconsider their activities and participation in resorts” who have signed on to the campaign.

“We have to remember most of Whistler’s clients are actually driving or coming (there) using fossil fuels . . . They might want to consider their customer base as they move forward,” Goodman said.

Prasad Panda, UCP energy shadow minister and MLA for Calgary Foothills, said any agreements on private sector climate change funding “is between the companies and the municipalities.”

“If they come to an agreement mutually . . . beneficial to those communities and the companies’ balance sheets are strong enough to support that, that’s between them,” Panda said.

CNRL declined to comment on the letter when reached Wednesday night.

— With files from Chris Varcoe

[email protected]

On Twitter: @RCRumbolt

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Its that the small minority of people like this are being given a platform now. Clicks sell news - thats all that matters. More stories like this = more clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its that the small minority of people like this are being given a platform now. Clicks sell news - thats all that matters. More stories like this = more clicks.
    Well when they've tricked the world into believing that driving an SUV is the reason the world is supposedly warming, then shit like this becomes real news.

My Ride
    Silverado

why not go to GM and Ford and say hey you guys pay for this?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Oil companies should stop shipments to all gas stations in New York immediately to reduce further liabilities stemming from this lawsuit.
    This was my comment when NY sued for climate change. Replace New York with BC haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Sue the ranchers and their farting cattle

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

They should also sue the SJW/#metoo movement for making it not cold outside anymore, baby

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    why not go to GM and Ford and say hey you guys pay for this?
    They should sue anyone who ever purchased a product made using petroleum.

Name:  ignorance.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  16.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

One thing that bothers me more than it probably should is when people refer to BP as British Petroleum.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    One thing that bothers me more than it probably should is when people refer to BP as British Petroleum.
    Why? I think a lot of ignorant people think BP is an American company, so I don’t mind.

Can’t wait for Todd standing to sue oil companies for contributing to the destruction of Bigfoot habitat

Hmm... last time I checked people from the Lower Mainland don’t teleport to Whistler? All the gas guzzling SUVs heading up the Sea-to-Sky though...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The only thing that makes sense is much higher fuel taxes. At least 5x higher than today.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by masoncgy View Post
    Hmm... last time I checked people from the Lower Mainland don’t teleport to Whistler? All the gas guzzling SUVs heading up the Sea-to-Sky though...
    Aren't they all Teslas yet?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Why? I think a lot of ignorant people think BP is an American company, so I don’t mind.
    The name is BP. It hasn't been British Petroleum for a long time. People act like they have this inside information that BP stands for British Petroleum, and at one time it did, but it's just BP now.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

The name is BP. It hasn't been British Petroleum for a long time. People act like they have this inside information that BP stands for British Petroleum, and at one time it did, but it's just BP now.
    Yea but c’mon that’s like saying someone calling a guy named ‘JP’ Jean-Phillipe is wrong. Fact is the initials BP absolutely stands for British petroleum, the only reason they shortened is through the years of combinations it would have made for a ridiculously long name.

With their environmental record most people assume they are an American company, hell might even be to keep British citizens happy because their garbage record isn’t immediately associated with Britain haha

Edit: and to be honest if that annoys BP employees I encourage people to use it, what an awful company
    Last edited by J-hop; 12-13-2018 at 08:37 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

May as well rename Encana while we're at it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    May as well rename Encana while we're at it.
    Enmerica?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Fact is the initials BP absolutely stands for British petroleum,
    That isn't a fact though. We all know what they mean when they say British Petroleum, but that's not the name of the company and it hasn't been for two decades. I don't know if people make a point of calling it British Petroleum to look smart, like they were able to solve some ancient mystery of what could the letters stand for, or what their deal is. But it's dumb and they look dumb and they are dumb. And if a person is a journalist, it would do them good to have their shit right.

Also, ConocoPhillips is misspelled. This article sucks and the author can go fuck his mouth.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Silverado

I like to refer to Imperial as xto. Makes me feel smart

My Ride
    V167

Also, ConocoPhillips is misspelled. This article sucks and the author can go fuck his mouth.
    fukin LOLD. Well done sir.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast