Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 38 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28 37 38 39 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Here's my $0.02, which is mainly a pessimistic/realist comment with a hidden shade of optimism.

Life "sucks", that is just how the world is. We have way too many fucking people. And us Westerners and other countries around the world perpetuate the problem with the way we are used to living.
    Have the 5-10 top things in your life you really enjoy and grind through the rest. I am OK tolerating a career I don't love if I can: enjoy time with family/spouse/friends, eat tasty food everyday, drive fun cars/motorcycles, experience nature just footsteps away, and fulfill my sense of accomplishment by building stuff and teaching others.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 05-16-2020 at 04:13 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been laid off for 5.5 months now with dwindling optimism and what feels like never-ending soul searching and finding purpose -- I mean Christ I'm turning 35 this year and feel utterly lost. So taking my own advice of 'follow your passion, be persistent and work hard' is challenging because I don't actually know what that is. Like so many things, it's easier said than done.

Cheers.
    Hang in there man. Just don't do anything drastic like working at shady camera stores again. That part of your life is over and it'll only get better.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I agree with Disoblige about tolerating a career, that enriches people who feasts on triple meat subs, in order to enjoy a little bit of life and to try and give my descendants a bit of a head start in life.
    I am sorry to hear about your situation msommers.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Hang in there man. Just don't do anything drastic like working at shady camera stores again. That part of your life is over and it'll only get better.
    Haha thanks. Man working at Saneal was an experience that'll go down in the books as a good laugh. If anyone wants to know what it was like to work retail in the 80s, but today, that's your ticket.
    Last edited by msommers; 05-17-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    worst career advice you can get.
    Beyond's Influencer

- - - Updated - - -

I can certainly appreciate your viewpoint on it and will backtrack a bit by calling you fellow hosers downers -- pessismistic would have been more accurate. Not every passion/hobby/interest is going to translate well into a career. For example, I love photography but more often than not I just enjoy taking pictures for me, not for someone else. So I get where you're coming from.

That said, I strongly feel there is an element of passion that most don't actually follow through on, lose drive/momentum/persistence and that is more often than not the reason(s) 'follow your passion' ends up failing. The Arts in particular as a career is like that, whether it be architecture, photography, modelling, acting, music.... There are years of grinding or a one-in-a-million chance to be successful. Then again, there is a lot of luck involved in any career whether one wants to admit it or not. Please don't interpret that as luck is everything.

If you're passionate about something, have a game-plan on how to realize that idea, be persistent and open to change, my opinion is that the money will come and you can be successful. What is success is so different among us all, and obviously not ever worrying about paying bills is likely a part of that.

---

I've been laid off for 5.5 months now with dwindling optimism and what feels like never-ending soul searching and finding purpose -- I mean Christ I'm turning 35 this year and feel utterly lost. So taking my own advice of 'follow your passion, be persistent and work hard' is challenging because I don't actually know what that is. Like so many things, it's easier said than done.

Cheers.
    Stay strong brother.

I can certainly appreciate your viewpoint on it and will backtrack a bit by calling you fellow hosers downers -- pessismistic would have been more accurate. Not every passion/hobby/interest is going to translate well into a career. For example, I love photography but more often than not I just enjoy taking pictures for me, not for someone else. So I get where you're coming from.

That said, I strongly feel there is an element of passion that most don't actually follow through on, lose drive/momentum/persistence and that is more often than not the reason(s) 'follow your passion' ends up failing. The Arts in particular as a career is like that, whether it be architecture, photography, modelling, acting, music.... There are years of grinding or a one-in-a-million chance to be successful. Then again, there is a lot of luck involved in any career whether one wants to admit it or not. Please don't interpret that as luck is everything.

If you're passionate about something, have a game-plan on how to realize that idea, be persistent and open to change, my opinion is that the money will come and you can be successful. What is success is so different among us all, and obviously not ever worrying about paying bills is likely a part of that.

---

Cheers.
    Amen. Ive gone down the route of passion to find the unbearable difficulties and infeasible circumstances. But to be honest, failing in something you arent passionate in is much worse than failing in something you are passionate at. Definition of success/fail is subjective.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I went down the path of following my passion after the first layoff. It was rewarding and educational, and really helped me hone in on exactly WHAT I was passionate about. It wasn't quite what I thought. I also learned a valuable lesson about some things that really don't motivate me, and those were also somewhat surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

I agree with Buster.

And this summarize it.
    https://moneyning.com/career/why-you...on-into-a-job/

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Chances are if you are a technical operations tech/engg at a producer, you are swamped as fuck because they are trying to do everything in-house. GG.
    I dont know about this. Maybe for the majors, but most of the companies I have worked with in the past that would be in the junior or midsize level are laying off staff and going for consultants or contractors. This takes them off G&A and instead can be put on AFEs. They will keep a couple staff around to guide the project but as far as leg work goes its all third party. Either way, it doesn't help with any sort of stability and as we've seen with companies like Delphi, its risky for those contractors and consultants.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

https://boereport.com/2020/05/19/poi...of-operations/

Point Loma officially out of business by the end of the week
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Damn. Good buddy of mine is over there
    Ultracrepidarian

Keyera last week. Heard it was about 10% of workforce

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

After their CEO “stepped down”, I wouldn’t want to be working at Vermillion for the next while.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

My company laid a couple ppl off this week at last. I don’t wanna say it’s unprecedented, but it’s certainly a rare occurrence.
    Last edited by bjstare; 05-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My company let one subsidiary go chapter 11 in March. We had plans to rehire 3 of them in June into my division. Got told this morning that it will be one-by-one. I need to look up how long each states unemployment benefits last....
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Company did big group of laid off March 23, temporary till May 25. I ended up being recalled back to work on the 19th. On the 21st, about 80% of those laid off, got the permanent lay off calls. I figured they would do a purge. A couple recalled back, and a couple got 2 month lay off extensions once it picks up, will be recalled. Some laid off are older senior workers who arent at retirement age just yet. Sad. All the lives affected by this
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think a large number of people will retire much earlier than they had hoped. It's bad for them, but good for the younger workers.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think a large number of people will retire much earlier than they had hoped. It's bad for them, but good for the younger workers.
    I've been hearing this for years. The reality is I don't think people are able to retire early. I have gotten a couple resumes from 30 year guys looking for work and saying they would accept basically entry level pay...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I've been hearing this for years. The reality is I don't think people are able to retire early. I have gotten a couple resumes from 30 year guys looking for work and saying they would accept basically entry level pay...
    A lot of older people just need a job for health benefits. Either for themselves or their spouse. Drugs aren't cheap.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I mean involuntarily.

Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28 37 38 39 48 ... LastLast