Quantcast
Radon? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Radon?

$50 off the better of the two Airthings Radon meters today:

https://www.amazon.ca/Corentium-Airt...YQ5NPX7WWES7X3

For those of you who actually got mitigation done, what company did you use, and were you happy with them? We have it roughed in but I still need to pay someone to install the fan/pipes.

Looks like the two main companies in Calgary have almost the same name: Radon West and Great West Radon.

Great West Radon has more reviews on Google but both seem OK.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know much about this, but a buddy of mine did his own install and said it was easy as pie. Bought the stuff at one of the local plumbing parts places I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I don't know much about this, but a buddy of mine did his own install and said it was easy as pie. Bought the stuff at one of the local plumbing parts places I think.
    Thanks - I did briefly look into doing it myself, but since the expensive part is already done, I just want to pay someone and have it done quickly and correctly.

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Radon West did ours and 2 nearby neighbours have used them since. All of us are happy and would recommend them.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

Quote Originally Posted by mikestypes View Post
    Radon West did ours and 2 nearby neighbours have used them since. All of us are happy and would recommend them.
    That is just the kind of info I am looking for, thank you.

Do you mind telling me what the cost was like, and did you have an existing rough-in or did you get the full meal deal?

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    That is just the kind of info I am looking for, thank you.

Do you mind telling me what the cost was like, and did you have an existing rough-in or did you get the full meal deal?
    1986 house so no rough in. $2700 full meal deal
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I also used Radon West 2 years ago and was very happy with them. However, if my house was all roughed in I would probably do it myself. I purchased a digital Radon Meter (Airthings) for $250 and did before and after tests to see the difference (it was a big drop in my case and went from 150 to between 7 and 20) so it should be fairly easy to see if your install made a difference.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I’ve been continuously testing my basement for 2 years now and I have a reading of 130 overall.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I also used Radon West 2 years ago and was very happy with them. However, if my house was all roughed in I would probably do it myself. I purchased a digital Radon Meter (Airthings) for $250 and did before and after tests to see the difference (it was a big drop in my case and went from 150 to between 7 and 20) so it should be fairly easy to see if your install made a difference.
    I made a mistake. We used Radon Controls, not Radon West. Full install price was $2,400.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Yeah I just don't want to mess around with piping, etc. It's a new house and I don't want to fuck anything up - plus if they damage anything during the install that's on them. I think because it's roughed in already it should cost under $1000 (I imagine boring a hole through the concrete is by far the most expensive part and that's done) but I need to get some quotes. I also just don't have the time to do it anytime soon, so I'm happy to pay for the convenience factor.

I have that same meter and I'm around 300-350 bq/m3 which is too high for my liking. If it was 100 or less I'd probably leave it alone. Canada says 200 or less is OK, most other places say 100 or less.

So far 2 votes for Radon West, that's good.

EDIT: One place got back to me and it looks like it's around $2200 regardless of the rough-in which is unfortunate haha - I thought the concrete hole was most of the cost but nope!
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-02-2020 at 04:22 PM.

My Ride
    KTM

Mine was roughed in. Cost me less than 100$ with fan to finish the install. Easy. Levels dropped to nothing instantly also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yeah I just don't want to mess around with piping, etc. It's a new house and I don't want to fuck anything up - plus if they damage anything during the install that's on them. I think because it's roughed in already it should cost under $1000 (I imagine boring a hole through the concrete is by far the most expensive part and that's done) but I need to get some quotes. I also just don't have the time to do it anytime soon, so I'm happy to pay for the convenience factor.

I have that same meter and I'm around 300-350 bq/m3 which is too high for my liking. If it was 100 or less I'd probably leave it alone. Canada says 200 or less is OK, most other places say 100 or less.

So far 2 votes for Radon West, that's good.

EDIT: One place got back to me and it looks like it's around $2200 regardless of the rough-in which is unfortunate haha - I thought the concrete hole was most of the cost but nope!

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I used Radon West. We probably got more value because some parts were pita. They also sell a do it yourself kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

I had radon mitigation done for my house last Oct, I went with Great West Radon, very happy with install. My levels in basement were around 350 bqm range and spikes of ~700 during winter as I tracked it using Airthings. After mitigation I'm averaging around 13-14 currently.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I got a quote from Doug Lacey Basement Systems. It seems they're a licensed installer for National Radon Defense & Breathe EZ? On the flip side, I have a friend that owns a foundation crack repair company and they're expanding into installing radon systems. They're going through the training and certification right now. I'll be getting our system installed once they're trained up and ready to go.

It's great to hear homes are coming with the option to have them roughed in now. My wife's grandma passed away due to lung cancer without ever having smoked a cigarette in her life...know there may not be a provable link, but we think radon could have contributed.

Questions for those who have had the mitigation systems installed: Are the systems as quiet as advertised? Can you hear the fans throughout the house? Also, has anyone done a hybrid sump pump and radon mitigation systems? I'm thinking of getting the sump installed at the same time as my research tells me they can share much of the same infrastructure.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Thanks for the extra info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    Mine was roughed in. Cost me less than 100$ with fan to finish the install. Easy. Levels dropped to nothing instantly also.
    So where do you vent it? Do you need to cut a hole in the side of your mechanical room? I have the rough in pipe that extends about 2 feet out from the floor but it's capped. Great West Radon also told me that about 25% of the time the builders put these rough-ins in the wrong place and they have to re-bore the concrete anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    It's great to hear homes are coming with the option to have them roughed in now. My wife's grandma passed away due to lung cancer without ever having smoked a cigarette in her life...know there may not be a provable link, but we think radon could have contributed.
    It became code I believe in 2015 for the rough-in. As for your grandma, apparently radon is the second most common cause of lung cancer next to cigarettes which is pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    Questions for those who have had the mitigation systems installed: Are the systems as quiet as advertised? Can you hear the fans throughout the house?
    Yes, it's very quiet, I only hear the hum if I'm by the wall of the utility room, my basement is developed. I was surprised how much air was being pumped out by the fan when I checked out the exhaust air coming out through the side of my house.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

those fans run 24/7? Are they basically sucking from the weeping tile under the slab?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    those fans run 24/7? Are they basically sucking from the weeping tile under the slab?
    Yup, it's constantly running, there's a pressure monitor on it to indicate the system is running correctly. They drill into the sub slab.

We're in a townhouse - inside unit, basement readings were between 100-200 in fall and in winter up to 200-400. We have two sumps, one for waste which is sealed and one for weeping tile which is completely open.

Had Doug Lacey's come do a quote, they said they couldn't do a sub-slab mitigation without making a mess of the walls and basement ceiling (basement developed) and suggested using an air cleaner. I believe it's one of these. https://breatheezair.com/. It looks like a fancy air filter. From my research, it doesn't appear to be a proven or suggested method for mitigation. Does anyone know if its effective or not? Even the installer said it wouldn't affect the bq reading.

We ended up buying and installing a sump pump cover over the weeping tile sump and it seems to have kept the level under 200 for now, but it hasn't been too cold since we put it on.

Anyone have ideas on effective mitigation for a townhouse unit?

I was wondering if the end units would be easier to install something and if that would affect the radon levels in our unit since we share the same foundation.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast