Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 60 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1341

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does asking about rims ever go out of vogue?
    “Vogue”? Definitely dated yourself there, Marky Mark

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    “Vogue”? Definitely dated yourself there, Marky Mark
    Thank you.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

As the spouse of someone going through this Cenovus/Husky Merger or any merger I wonder why companies announce dates that people are going to be let go. They've been talking about these pending layoffs since December or maybe earlier and the whole company morale seems to be in the toilet.

The other interesting thing is that my wife tells me that the senior managers want the pandemic/restrictions to be over so that they can get people back into the office to improve productivity......maybe dont announce that 1/4 of the companies staff are going to lose their jobs.

I also dont understand why they paid out the RSU/PSUs of all the cenovus employees. The cve symbol isnt going away, whether this is to give everyone a boost, or some other plan to change the way compensation is done in the future.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I think the only people who need to be in the office to "improve productivity" are managers who do nothing but bullshit all day. Without face to face interactions, it's much more obvious that their position is almost pointless, and usually counter-productive.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I think the only people who need to be in the office to "improve productivity" are managers who do nothing but bullshit all day. Without face to face interactions, it's much more obvious that their position is almost pointless, and usually counter-productive.
    The other thing they enforce is that everyone has to have their video camera on for all meetings. I presume this is to make sure people aren't fucking around.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    As the spouse of someone going through this Cenovus/Husky Merger or any merger I wonder why companies announce dates that people are going to be let go. They've been talking about these pending layoffs since December or maybe earlier and the whole company morale seems to be in the toilet.

The other interesting thing is that my wife tells me that the senior managers want the pandemic/restrictions to be over so that they can get people back into the office to improve productivity......maybe dont announce that 1/4 of the companies staff are going to lose their jobs.

I also dont understand why they paid out the RSU/PSUs of all the cenovus employees. The cve symbol isnt going away, whether this is to give everyone a boost, or some other plan to change the way compensation is done in the future.
    1 - would you prefer they keep everyone in the dark speculating until random axe day? That and they are letting enough people go that they have a lot of hoops to jump through. Morale during mass layoffs is always going to be garbage, I’ll take garbage with as much clarity as I can get over garbage with uncertainty.

2 - if you job is to manage a team it’s far easier to do when you can physically do that, maybe that means they aren’t good at their jobs but it’s easy to understand why they would prefer to be in the office.

3 - They wouldn’t have paid them out if they didn’t have to, my guess is the Husky deal amounts to a material change triggering immediate vesting of all LTI. Whether the symbol changes or not Cenovus is a materially different company once this deal closes.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    1 - would you prefer they keep everyone in the dark speculating until random axe day? That and they are letting enough people go that they have a lot of hoops to jump through. Morale during mass layoffs is always going to be garbage, I’ll take garbage with as much clarity as I can get over garbage with uncertainty.

2 - if you job is to manage a team it’s far easier to do when you can physically do that, maybe that means they aren’t good at their jobs but it’s easy to understand why they would prefer to be in the office.

3 - They wouldn’t have paid them out if they didn’t have to, my guess is the Husky deal amounts to a material change triggering immediate vesting of all LTI. Whether the symbol changes or not Cenovus is a materially different company once this deal closes.
    Ding ding ding. Winner winner.
    Not sure what is so difficult to understand. One might not agree with certain actions, but understanding the intent is easy.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Honestly just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining. And that makes you a Karen.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Honestly just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining. And that makes you a Karen.
    Yup.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Your wife can ask about #3 on the RSU/PSU via HR.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Yup.
    I’m not denying that I may have some Karen qualities to my persona.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Your wife can ask about #3 on the RSU/PSU via HR.
    She doesn’t ask them out anything she asks me but I don’t work there. I mean I like that we have 40k extra to put on the mortgage

The other thing they enforce is that everyone has to have their video camera on for all meetings. I presume this is to make sure people aren't fucking around.
    I work at CVE - there has been no enforcement of cameras during meetings for the entirety of the pandemic/work from home order

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Maybe enforcement is not the right word but asked to keep their cameras on - might just be her boss... My work only just started saying it was an option for the sake of our mental health however we generally keep them off because the company VPN only allows each employee 2Mbits to use and a HD web cam can suck a bunch of that bandwidth.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 01-19-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This is exactly why they want people in the office, it's all for optics. When people like that are at home, it's more obvious that they don't do any actual work when their day-to-day is to make a few phone calls and attend a few meetings.

I haven't heard of the mandatory cameras though, that's getting pretty extreme.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This is exactly why they want people in the office, it's all for optics. When people like that are at home, it's more obvious that they don't do any actual work when their day-to-day is to make a few phone calls and attend a few meetings.

I haven't heard of the mandatory cameras though, that's getting pretty extreme.
    My wifes boss is a bit of a micro manager, imho working from home is great for companies as people can be at hand to answer emails or get shit done at any hour. Atleast thats how Ive been working and alot of my collegues have been working alot longer hours for the same reason but perhaps IT is different than engineering. If companies were really concerned about people slacking off they could use any number of spy programs that are probably sitting on peoples laptops to figure out what they are really doing.

My manager admitted he plays games on steam while in meetings sometimes. My manager would also be the least micro managing manager ive had with the exception of when I worked for Telus.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 01-19-2021 at 11:55 AM.

My wifes boss is a bit of a micro manager, imho working from home is great for companies as people can be at hand to answer emails or get shit done at any hour. Atleast thats how Ive been working and alot of my collegues have been working alot longer hours for the same reason but perhaps IT is different than engineering.
    Totally. Everyone seems to agree with that except upper management haha, at least as far as I can tell - they are the only ones who think you can't work unless you are physically in the office. I definitely put in more hours at home, I think a lot of people do, but WFH makes a lot of managers/executives look bad so they don't seem to like it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Managers who prefer people to be in office also prefer camera on.

Facial cues vs vocal cues

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Totally. Everyone seems to agree with that except upper management haha, at least as far as I can tell - they are the only ones who think you can't work unless you are physically in the office. I definitely put in more hours at home, I think a lot of people do, but WFH makes a lot of managers/executives look bad so they don't seem to like it.
    I've seen a noticeable decline in productivity in my team since some people started WFH People may be putting in more hours but it takes longer for things to get done.

I think I blame it on kids mostly though.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

My wifes boss is a bit of a micro manager, imho working from home is great for companies as people can be at hand to answer emails or get shit done at any hour. Atleast thats how Ive been working and alot of my collegues have been working alot longer hours for the same reason but perhaps IT is different than engineering.
    This is exactly the reason I have made it clear to my boss and colleagues that when I am not on shift, I won't be checking or answering emails and such. I do my 12.5 hour shift 3 days a week, and I check out. They all know I am available if needed, but unless they actually call me, I won't respond. I need to have a line in the sand that separates work from home life and with my dedicated office and WFH setup, that line can be easily blurred. I haven't been to my office since September 2019 and it has been great. I love WFH. But work is not my life either.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I've seen a noticeable decline in productivity in my team since some people started WFH People may be putting in more hours but it takes longer for things to get done.

I think I blame it on kids mostly though.
    It's different for everyone I guess. Some jobs can't really be done at home (i.e. physical records keeper, reception, etc.) so those people are going to be doing a lot less.

I don't have kids, but I am way more efficient (and happy) at home than I am in the office. That seems to be the case for most people I've talked to but I can see how if you have younger kids bugging you every 10 minutes that may not be the case haha.

Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 ... LastLast