Quantcast
Climate change discussion. - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate change discussion.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shrinking ice and change in arctic temperatures is having an effect on the polar jet stream causing it to resonate significantly more which brings warm air north (causing things like permafrost melting and releasing methane pockets which further adds to warming, also leads to much more extreme spring melting which can lead to greater flood risks) as well as bringing cold air south (like the polar vortexes, which can really mess up food production as well as have a crippling effect on flora and fauna and general biodiversity).
    this is interesting.

Can you link to the data?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    this is interesting.

Can you link to the data?
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0528140115.htm

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....9/2018MS001492

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    You mean like what happened back in the early 1900’s where we had the worst droughts and the worst flooding in modern human history?
    Did we have the worst droughts and flooding in modern human history, or just the most destructive because the early 1900s saw a huge shift in population and industrialization next to major river systems with poor emergency controls so bad floods had the most significant effect? Should be concerning that after all the flood mitigation built as a result of that flooding is now starting to see failure and a major uptick in flooding everywhere including many other regions experience 'worst flooding in 120 years.' China in particular has had numerous floods affecting tens of millions of people who, over a hundred years ago, might not have been able to be evacuated then keeping the death counts in modern flooding significantly lower.

Fuck, humans were doomed. I bet they predicted in 10 years we were all gonna die.
    Nobody's predicting that now, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. When warming cycles see an increase in glacier melt and the worry becomes 'what happens if the Bow Glacier goes by 2070 instead of 2100' and other longer term causes of catastrophe.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Did we have the worst droughts and flooding in modern human history, or just the most destructive because the early 1900s saw a huge shift in population and industrialization next to major river systems with poor emergency controls so bad floods had the most significant effect? Should be concerning that after all the flood mitigation built as a result of that flooding is now starting to see failure and a major uptick in flooding everywhere including many other regions experience 'worst flooding in 120 years.' China in particular has had numerous floods affecting tens of millions of people who, over a hundred years ago, might not have been able to be evacuated then keeping the death counts in modern flooding significantly lower.

Nobody's predicting that now, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. When warming cycles see an increase in glacier melt and the worry becomes 'what happens if the Bow Glacier goes by 2070 instead of 2100' and other longer term causes of catastrophe.
    Bullshit like this, and the sheep who eat it up.

Bullshit like this, and the sheep who eat it up.
    There's a pretty big difference between "we'll all be dead in 10 years" and 'the processes in place for catastrophic events are reaching the tipping point of action.' It would be good to know the difference rather than get all uppity because a teenage girl is on TV.

So far the biggest drama queen when it comes to exaggeration in the thread is you.

Also, Greta probably doesn't drink soda, FWIW.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

There's a pretty big difference between "we'll all be dead in 10 years" and 'the processes in place for catastrophic events are reaching the tipping point of action.' It would be good to know the difference rather than get all uppity because a teenage girl is on TV.

So far the biggest drama queen when it comes to exaggeration in the thread is you.

Also, Greta probably doesn't drink soda, FWIW.
    There are no tipping points in regards to climate change, natural cycles are occurring.

Don’t give me the whole CO2 bullshit either.

This will all blow over in 10 years after all the Y generation have experienced their first “the world is ending” experience.

What I do see is human population levels increasing to a point of unsustainability.

Disease

Polluted land, human waste.

Canada will be a safe haven until the rest of world decides they need to move here, then we will be fucked.

The planet itself will be just fine after humans kill themselves off.

This will all blow over in 10 years after all the Y generation have experienced their first “the world is ending” experience.

What I do see is human population levels increasing to a point of unsustainability.

Disease

Polluted land, human waste.

Canada will be a safe haven until the rest of world decides they need to move here, then we will be fucked.

The planet itself will be just fine after humans kill themselves off.
    There's a startling lack of self awareness in the progression of this post.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Let’s come back to this thread in 10 years if Beyond is still up and running.

Sheep

Sheep
    Again, who is saying the world will end in 10 years? You've thrown out this number, nobody else has.

You have kids, why wouldn't you at least be thinking about timelines longer than the time it took them to get through grade school?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Again, who is saying the world will end in 10 years? You've thrown out this number, nobody else has.

You have kids, why wouldn't you at least be thinking about timelines longer than the time it took them to get through grade school?
    What fantasy land of denial are you living in? Major American and global political players are shoveling and pitching this ~10 year death to us all, horseshit.

This is considered MAINSTREAM narrative. The more fear they can throw at the masses, the better.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, in front of a crowd in New York City in January, was more blunt, saying: “The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change.”
    (larger context)

What Franzen’s piece unwittingly does is tap into broader questions about the place of apocalyptic rhetoric in today’s climate discourse. Ever since the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released its 2018 report illustrating that the world’s nations would have to act swiftly to prevent warming exceeding from 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) — which it estimated would happen around 2030 — protesters and politicians alike have seized on the idea that we are close to a point of no return. According to teenage activist Greta Thunberg, “We are less than 12 years away from not being able to undo our mistakes.” Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, in front of a crowd in New York City in January, was more blunt, saying: “The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change.”

This apocalyptic thinking does make it seem like climate change is all-or-nothing: Either we fix it, or we’re done. And it can motivate extraordinary action.

“As long as humans have been alive, we’ve been thinking about the end times and the apocalypse,” said Per Espen Stoknes, environmental psychologist and author. Doomsday deadlines, he argued, can foster a kind of “heroic hope” — the idea that “if we only fight hard enough against climate change, we will win.” Both supporters of Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal resolution and activists with the Extinction Rebellion, who use the fear of a 2030 “climate breakdown” to spark political change, have successfully whipped up that sentiment.

https://grist.org/article/jonathan-f...mate-deadline/

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Cause roughly every 10 years bullshit propaganda pops up to make money off the sheep. Stop playing semantics, you know exactly what I’m talking about. More Beyond bullshit.

I’m thankful we live in Canada as we are the most responsible Nation in the world with one of the lowest population densities.

We have zero control over the climate, but we do have control over population levels which directly affect pollution levels, wastes, disease, crops, water & land.

Cause roughly every 10 years bullshit propaganda pops up to make money off the sheep. Stop playing semantics, you know exactly what I’m talking about. More Beyond bullshit.
    The “propaganda” has been pretty steady for a long time, it isn’t really cyclical.

Unless you’re throwing in things that we were able to actually address like lead in gas, CFCs putting holes in the ozone layer, garbage and waste problems. If it seems like this one is new it’s because you haven’t really been paying attention a while, but also because some of the old ones aren’t as pressing concerns as they once were because we did something about it. Probably a lesson around there somewhere.

I’m thankful we live in Canada as we are the most responsible Nation in the world with one of the lowest population densities.
    You think the low population was a conscious choice? Having our major population centres have such low density adds to the water, land and pollution problem so that probably should be celebrated.

We have zero control over the climate, but we do have control over population levels which directly affect pollution levels, wastes, disease, crops, water & land.
    So because a genocide is out of the question, do you think we should do something about these levels or just see what happens?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

The “propaganda” has been pretty steady for a long time, it isn’t really cyclical.

Unless you’re throwing in things that we were able to actually address like lead in gas, CFCs putting holes in the ozone layer, garbage and waste problems. If it seems like this one is new it’s because you haven’t really been paying attention a while, but also because some of the old ones aren’t as pressing concerns as they once were because we did something about it. Probably a lesson around there somewhere.

You think the low population was a conscious choice? Having our major population centres have such low density adds to the water, land and pollution problem so that probably should be celebrated.

So because a genocide is out of the question, do you think we should do something about these levels or just see what happens?
    What did we do? Actually don’t answer that because you are clueless.

You are spewing complete bullshit, quit while you are ahead.

What did we do? Actually don’t answer that because you are clueless.

You are spewing complete bullshit, quit while you are ahead.
    CFC reduction in response to ozone layer hole: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Protocol

Leaded gasoline: Clean Air Act in the US, Transboundary Air acts, acts eventually culminating with REACH in Europe, etc.

Acid rain: Eastern Canada Acid Rain Program, Protocol on the Reduction of Sulphur Emissions, Protocol on Further Reductions of Sulphur Emissions

So we managed to get by in managing and reducing the amount of lead, sulfer, and CFCs we were putting into the atmosphere because the environmental effects were getting out of hand, but you think trying to do the same with carbon is bullshit? Hmmm.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Look at the differences in ice. Antartica although a small portion of it shrank, is much less affected than the Arctic which has shrunk a lot. We're losing ice much faster up here, as well as there was an article a few months ago that Canada is warming at twice the global average.
    There was a funny article showing how most countries are warming at least twice the global average. Many much more as it’s just a headline grabbing statement based on a mathematical twist. I will try and find it again.

It is based on the ocean warming slowly so all countries are warming at 300% the global average when you consider most of the planet is ocean. It’s 100% hype.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 12-05-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Alberta schools are bringing this crew in to "teach" the children.
    https://3percentproject.com/meet-steve/
    Quoting myself. Finally others are starting to notice the propaganda being spread in Alberta classrooms. People need to start bringing their O&G working parents in to discuss the industry.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ooms-must-stop
    The efforts to convince Canadians that the Alberta energy sector is the best in class and deserves to be supported are being undermined right here at home. Rather than focus on the detractors outside Alberta’s borders, we need to focus on the detractors within our own publicly funded school system.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Alberta can acknowledge its environmental efforts and regulation, and be proud of that, while simultaneously recognizing that climate change is real. The conversation doesn't have to be, nor should it be, an either-or scenario.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Hell, I used to work with a guy in the 80/90's who didn't own a car and his wife and him raised a family without owning a car as well.
    Knew a colleague who tried to go carless in 90s. Again, taxi and rentals. Finally had a kid and caved and bought a car. I guess wife wasn't on the same page and had enough of his shit and they divorced in the late 2000s and now he drives a Porsche.

Sheep
    I don't think anyone cares any more and since I don't plan to have any kids, I also don't have a horse in this race. Climate change or not, we are heading toward a war to reduce head count anyway.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-30-2019 at 12:36 PM.

If Calgary had a slightly more extensive pathway system (not impossible especially considering you could easily run one along the train tracks) I'd say that one could probably do the 350 to 500 watt electric scooter thing for five solid months of not freezing cold weather. I mean seriously, 25 km/h is slow by car standards, but it doesn't add that much more time to a short commute.

Amazon looks like its got most purchaseable goods covered. It costs way more to drive to the store to get a roll of paper towels than to have Amazon deliver it for pennies.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    If Calgary had a slightly more extensive pathway system (not impossible especially considering you could easily run one along the train tracks) I'd say that one could probably do the 350 to 500 watt electric scooter thing for five solid months of not freezing cold weather. I mean seriously, 25 km/h is slow by car standards, but it doesn't add that much more time to a short commute.

Amazon looks like its got most purchaseable goods covered. It costs way more to drive to the store to get a roll of paper towels than to have Amazon deliver it for pennies.
    So you're saying you want more bike lanes basically

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast