Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 404 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 404 of 985 FirstFirst ... 394 403 404 405 414 ... LastLast
Results 8,061 to 8,080 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Assuming schools are smart enough to keep 1 teacher with 1 class as a bubble and not kids shuffling all around I think things will be okay, at least for the first semester. There will definitely be outbreaks but there's 250 schools in Calgary and say ~50+ 'bubbles' of students per school. So roughly 12,500 groups of people and we only have ~275 active cases in Calgary ... so it's not like very class is going to immediately have infected students in it (As opposed to some of the states like Texas where 25% of their covid tests come back positive).

I do wonder if they'll adjust the school schedule to have mini-breaks as well? A week or two semester break at Halloween might help any mini outbreaks calm down by keeping kids separated for a bit?

On a unrelated, victory to Calgary note, the Alberta covid page updated the landing page for the interactive data to now show the # of cases in the Edmonton zone rather than the Calgary zone. #Winning

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a unrelated, victory to Calgary note, the Alberta covid page updated the landing page for the interactive data to now show the # of cases in the Edmonton zone rather than the Calgary zone. #Winning
    This is the kind of petty bullshit that I love. Fuck Edmonton.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Teachers will need to be away from school a hell of a lot mroe than a normal year. Teachers get loads of colds from the disgusting children, and mostly they just "play through it", which won't be an option this year. If you are a substitute, you might get a lot more days. Think that's right @MalibuStacy ?
    Including myself there are a few Beyonders that either are teachers or have spouses that are teachers, I'm the latter. Through a normal school year my wife is fighting something at least 25% of the year and she just loads up on the Tylenol / Sudafed / Whatever and powers through. That won't be an option and as anyone connected with the CBE knows their substitute roster is too short as it is. It's common, almost expected that if you try to call in sick the morning of a regular school day the sub desk is out of people. You have to book the night before or your school is just simply short a staffer that day. I'm pretty sure the CBE hasn't hired a thousand new substitutes to meet the demand so it won't take long for this whole thing to implode.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I know someone who is a qualified teacher, but has been in oil and gas for ten years. He's thinking of going back to teaching, maybe this is the year to do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

yeah...fuck James Neal for ruining Andreas' COD matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Hiding symptoms is going to be a thing right from day one I suspect. Don't worry though folks, my current guesstimation is that school will be shut down again by Halloween, maybe even Thanksgiving. The domino effect of one or two kids and or a teacher getting sick with pretty much anything is so disruptive that I can see the house of cards falling quite early.
    I suspect we will see what happens in the USA with schools opening before us first as an idea of what will happen here.

Also the problem with bubbles or cohorts is what happens at lunchtime; or afterschool care; or on the bus; or extracurrilar activities. They all have bubbles too.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 08-17-2020 at 09:26 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Including myself there are a few Beyonders that either are teachers or have spouses that are teachers, I'm the latter. Through a normal school year my wife is fighting something at least 25% of the year and she just loads up on the Tylenol / Sudafed / Whatever and powers through. That won't be an option and as anyone connected with the CBE knows their substitute roster is too short as it is. It's common, almost expected that if you try to call in sick the morning of a regular school day the sub desk is out of people. You have to book the night before or your school is just simply short a staffer that day. I'm pretty sure the CBE hasn't hired a thousand new substitutes to meet the demand so it won't take long for this whole thing to implode.
    Is your solution to go straight to online?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I suspect we will see what happens in the USA with schools opening before us first as an idea of what will happen here.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/u...ronavirus.html

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Is your solution to go straight to online?
    May not be a bad idea. The school boards has been loading up on chromebooks.

IMHO, there is 0 confidence in any of the school opening policies. IESO (Ontario's version of AESO) wil not let anyone back in office until 2021. We are also put on indefinite delay and give a wait and see after school opens but I won't be surprised we are on the same boat. We may be a bit better than Georgia but I don't think by much.

Every time I get sick, it's someone got it from the kids and drag it to work. Now that this thing is asymptomatic and will stay in the air for up to 4hrs in area with bad air flow, the fall is gonna be bad if we are spreading 2-3x more than expected in the summer.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-17-2020 at 09:34 AM.

My Ride

NY Times eh?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    NY Times eh?
    Prefer another MSM? Or is 4chan the only truth?
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/second-...grow-1.5060393

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I would think the extra steps taken to prevent covid would help lower the amount of regular cold/flus as well. All the extra cleaning, and mask wearing. Obviously it won't eliminate them, but drastically reduce it. My work has never stopped, and has followed AHS guidelines since the beginning. They also pay full wages while self-quarantined. With the exception of the initial two weeks when the entire country locked down and scared shitless, there hasn't been any colds or anything else floating around. Almost zero sick days since April.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

May not be a bad idea. The school boards has been loading up on chromebooks.

IMHO, there is 0 confidence in any of the school opening policies. IESO (Ontario's version of AESO) wil not let anyone back in office until 2021. We are also put on indefinite delay and give a wait and see after school opens but I won't be surprised we are on the same boat. We may be a bit better than Georgia but I don't think by much.

Every time I get sick, it's someone got it from the kids and drag it to work. Now that this thing is asymptomatic and will stay in the air for up to 4hrs in area with bad air flow, the fall is gonna be bad if we are spreading 2-3x more than expected in the summer.
    I would consider it, although I would also (as a member of the public) be somewhat, uh...deliberate...in how I handled teacher's pay as a result. If teachers think they should get full pay for a few hours of online teaching per week, then I think we need to have a hard discussion with the union. It seemed apparent to me in the spring, that the online resources for learning (Khan, etc), were far superior to what the CBE was going to be able to accomplish.

Teachers should be more concerned about how this impacts the public's view of how necessary they are. If we innovate around the teachers absence, it won't be good.

I said it quite early on: one of the victims in COVID is going to be the public's impression of public education.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Prefer another MSM? Or is 4chan the only truth?
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/second-...grow-1.5060393
    Ask @Buster . He has bad taste in music so you don't have to trust him.

I have a NYT subscription.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I would consider it, although I would also (as a member of the public) be somewhat, uh...deliberate...in how I handled teacher's pay as a result. If teachers think they should get full pay for a few hours of online teaching per week, then I think we need to have a hard discussion with the union. It seemed apparent to me in the spring, that the online resources for learning (Khan, etc), were far superior to what the CBE was going to be able to accomplish.

Teachers should be more concerned about how this impacts the public's view of how necessary they are. If we innovate around the teachers absence, it won't be good.

I said it quite early on: one of the victims in COVID is going to be the public's impression of public education.
    Grade 2 was a lost year for my daughter. We already knew we had a shit teacher but were hoping for inclass lessons to atleast give her more time to learn but as soon as the online learning started the teacher interaction slimmed down to 15 mins a week and the class work was a joke, so much that we saw on instagram from the school that grade 2 was learning all about eastern Canada but our student didnt learn anything about eastern Canada. Not just in covid time but there needs to be better oversight on how well each teacher is doing and if they arent pulling their weight move them into some admin function.

My Ride
    ute

Grade 2 was a lost year for my daughter. We already knew we had a shit teacher but were hoping for inclass lessons to atleast give her more time to learn but as soon as the online learning started the teacher interaction slimmed down to 15 mins a week and the class work was a joke, so much that we saw on instagram from the school that grade 2 was learning all about eastern Canada but our student didnt learn anything about eastern Canada. Not just in covid time but there needs to be better oversight on how well each teacher is doing and if they arent pulling their weight move them into some admin function.
    That's too generous.

I don't understand why teachers think they are exempt from the consequences of the world around them.

My kids need to be educated: are teachers/CBE going to be the solution? Are they not going to be the solution? If they aren't, then mass layoffs, and I'll take care of this shit myself. I really hate paying for a service that is not delivered.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

That's too generous.

I don't understand why teachers think they are exempt from the consequences of the world around them.

My kids need to be educated: are teachers/CBE going to be the solution? Are they not going to be the solution? If they aren't, then mass layoffs, and I'll take care of this shit myself. I really hate paying for a service that is not delivered.
    This is a harder line stance than the one I've been taking around this topic but the base point is equal.

I don't understand why of all the people who have to live/work/earn differently right now the teachers are the unassailable holy grail of the "but it isn't fair" contingent. You either do what needs to be done or you don't, you either have a job or you don't. But you don't get to not do your job and then still keep all the funding from my exorbitant property tax and income tax allocations.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This is a harder line stance than the one I've been taking around this topic but the base point is equal.

I don't understand why of all the people who have to live/work/earn differently right now the teachers are the unassailable holy grail of the "but it isn't fair" contingent. You either do what needs to be done or you don't, you either have a job or you don't. But you don't get to not do your job and then still keep all the funding from my exorbitant property tax and income tax allocations.
    It's a pretty common response when faced with an existential crisis: people confuse the situation being not-their-fault, with the situation being not-their-problem.

COVID is certainly not the teachers' fault, but it most definitely is their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Up to 8 days.
    The actual test itself takes less than 24 hours to produce results IIRC. This "up to 8 days" is purely based on how long reporting of results can take since there is potential for large backlogs due to the volume of testing.

Also the problem with bubbles or cohorts is what happens at lunchtime; or afterschool care; or on the bus; or extracurrilar activities. They all have bubbles too.
    I think that depends if we react here based on what appears to be happening down there. Or if we actually respond to our own statistics here. We currently can't trust much of anything in regards to data coming from the US. They're making everything appear much worse than it is.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I read something that teachers must pay for substitute teachers, is this true and if so what kind of nightmare will that be if teachers are having to quarantine multiple times per year
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    I read something that teachers must pay for substitute teachers, is this true and if so what kind of nightmare will that be if teachers are having to quarantine multiple times per year
    No, teachers don't pay the substitutes. The only time a substitute has any impact on a teacher's pay is if they book a bunch of personal days then the CBE deducts some of the sub cost from the teacher. I don't remember the exact amounts and for what days but legit sick days have no impact on the teacher's paycheque.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 404 of 985 FirstFirst ... 394 403 404 405 414 ... LastLast