Quantcast
Japan Accomodation - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan Accomodation

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

One more thing i found useful when I traveled to Japan (actually anywhere really) was that if I needed to make a local call if you use google hangouts its only 10 cents a min. Also, if I made a call to Canada via google, there was no charge applied even though I was in Japan.

Doubt you'd use it but we found it pretty handy

I'm good without a plug adapter as long as:

A) there is no ground prong

and

B) both prongs are the same size

Correct? Or should I just buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...BBKPUYSM&psc=1

I think the only things I have to plug in are all chargers, which are 2-prong.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Correct? Or should I just buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...UYSM&psc=1
    No clue what you need, but if you get something like this you'll be guaranteed prepared for almost anywhere?

https://www.amazon.ca/AlierKin-Unive...in+one+adapter

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Pretty much got it right. Only thing I needed an adapter was for my laptop which has the ground plug. Not a bad idea to bring an adapter anyways though.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I didn't require an adapter anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

B) both prongs are the same size
    Most chargers and stuff will have the same size prongs, but other devices may have the bigger and the smaller. For the most part (at least in my inlaws house where I cared), the wall plugs were all Big Small combo, but some extension cords and such are Small Small. The inlaws house is 35 years old, so not sure if Big Small was an old thing there, or if it has always been the case for wall plugs.

I have bought some small switched power splitters before in Japan and they were only good for Small Small config, so when wife and I were going this time around she asked if she could bring her curling iron, I told her it wouldn't fit and got her the adapter, but was surprised to see the wall plugs are no different than ours in NA (except for the ground plug obviously)

Thanks, sounds like we'll be OK. I will double check everything but I *think* all my charges are 2-prong, same width for both prongs. We're not bringing any hair dryers, curling irons, laptops, etc. or anything like that.

My Ride
    M3P

Hey Guys, I left this to the last moment, but curious where the best place to buy Yen is, as far as conversion and fees.

Looking to get about $1500CAD worth.

Thanks!

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Usually Calforex but TD was better when I last checked. Not by much though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

I used CalForex and they only had 10,000 Yen notes but that didn't seem to be an issue anywhere.

Also if JDMAN doesn't pick them up (he has first dibs) I have 22,000 JPY + some small change left over I am happy to sell at spot rate. We were able to use credit card a lot.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Has anyone been to Japan recently? I can't imagine covid really changed anything but worth asking.

Much to my surprise my wife is willing to go to Japan, for probably 3 weeks. Beach and 'spa' are necessary for her, and I have loads on my list to see and do. I was really hoping to visit during cherry blossom season but I dunno if it's going to be doable.

Cost is something we haven't really gotten into. We have lots of WJ dollars and the voucher, so let's just say flights are covered. But daily costs, staying in nice/decent (non-luxury at all) hotels, train, food etc. Some days will be cheap ramen, and others will be nice/fancier for sure but on average I don't know what to budget.
    Last edited by msommers; 01-24-2023 at 12:29 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Oh man ima follow. I wanna do japan again but with a stable gf this time lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Cost is something we haven't really gotten into. We have lots of WJ dollars and the voucher, so let's just say flights are covered. But daily costs, staying in nice/decent (non-luxury at all) hotels, train, food etc. Some days will be cheap ramen, and others will be nice/fancier for sure but on average I don't know what to budget.
    It highly depends. Stay in Toyko, accommodation is a bit more. Heard a lot of gouging with hotel prices but $2K for a week in Shinjuku where I last stayed and seems pretty much the same now. It's a bit further and seedier but as long as you don't stay our past 2-3am it's way safer than Calgary downtown. Around Ginza is a bit higher class but costs more.

Train, just get a Suica card (digital wallet) and load it whenever you are out. If you stay for 2 weeks or more and want to experience Bullet Train, JR Pass is a cheap way to do that. JR Pass basically cost the same as 1 round trip + a week of local Tokyo JR train cost. If you can squeeze more destinations outside of Tokyo in that 2 weeks, then when saving starts. Otherwise, just stick with Suica because it's just easier than JR pass day to day use. And JR pass only cover the Yamanote loop. If you want to do subway, that's a different system and extra.

Food. Not sure about now but they were holding inflation pretty good up til the full opening. Ramen and fast food joints still have meals around $7-$10CAD. But budget it like you would be eating out in Calgary. Sushi has various price ranges. Beef is f'ing expensive. Pork and chicken are cheap and way tastier than anything in North America. 7-11 and Family Mart food is mostly edible if not great unlike here.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-24-2023 at 03:03 PM.

My Ride
    Z

I'm in Osaka right now. There's a lot more masks than last time I was here (2020) but hotels are quite cheap.

I find food quite cheap, definitely cheaper than Calgary for things like sushi or ramen and the no tipping is huge.

Shinjuku is super, super safe at any time, much safer than North America or pretty much anywhere. Lol @ seedy.
    Last edited by g-m; 01-25-2023 at 07:23 PM.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Subways and the bullet trains are the best way to get around IMO. Cheap, reliable and on time. Taxis are pretty cheap as well from what I remember.

Spend some time in Osaka for the hip cool city. Kyoto for the old town/touristy stuff. I went out to Kobe and the Himeji Castle was quite interesting to see.

Onsens/spa/hot springs are quite nice out there too. Very cheap, but its quite traditional and have some pretty strict rules in regards to tattoos and are separated by sex.
    Last edited by OTown; 01-28-2023 at 04:34 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

taxi prices are comparable to here, I remember us having to take a late taxi ride from Narita to Shinjuku and was around 120CAD$

+1 on Suica card and subway system in Tokyo is really easy to navitage, I remember us taking the subway from Shinjuku to Haneda airport with carry-ons last time we were there before covid

trying to remember but Cherry blossom season is probably going to be around mid-end of March now, it will also be packed
    beach you may have to go south Japan but will still probably be cold. easy to fly to South East Asia though

food, pretty much cant go wrong anywhere, even their food mart/7-11 bento boxes are good.
    i can post some places for recommendation if you want depending on what type of cuisin.
    we stayed in an airbnb when we backpacked around Shinjuku area. lots of camera stores in there too

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    I'm in Osaka right now. There's a lot more masks than last time I was here (2020) but hotels are quite cheap.

I find food quite cheap, definitely cheaper than Calgary for things like sushi or ramen and the no tipping is huge.

Shinjuku is super, super safe at any time, much safer than North America or pretty much anywhere. Lol @ seedy.
    Word id rather sleep outside anywhere in Shinjuku than at the DI

Also in certain streets at Shinjuku you might get a run and tug to help you sleep

Lawsons chicken + rice ball and set for life

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Has anyone been to Japan recently? I can't imagine covid really changed anything but worth asking.

Much to my surprise my wife is willing to go to Japan, for probably 3 weeks. Beach and 'spa' are necessary for her, and I have loads on my list to see and do. I was really hoping to visit during cherry blossom season but I dunno if it's going to be doable.

Depends on what you want out of a hotel. We wanted ones in the areas close to the stuff we were doing, but didn't need anything particularly fancy - just somewhere to sleep and stash our stuff. Usually ended up going APA, they were generally ~$100/night, small (and I do mean small) but nice and clean. Perfect for two.

We did spend a bit of time at Sanrakuso ryokan in Shirahama - super cool seaside experience, entirely train-accessible as they run a shuttle. They serve an in-room multi-course dinner which was outstanding. Lots of amazing onsens in Wakayama, Yunomine Onsen was a great spot but also pretty remote, we were hiking through the area.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Japan can be cheap if you want it to

Try not to big too many luggage as the rooms are hilariously cozy

If your schedule is flex you can chase cherry blossoms using this map

https://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Japan can be cheap if you want it to

Try not to big too many luggage as the rooms are hilariously cozy
    True, although I will admit I packed waaaay heavy on the camera gear - don't regret it but would slim it down a bit next time. Any of the rooms we stayed in could fit a couple of checked bags + carryons and misc but not a lot more.

If you plan to hit multiple major centers or spend a lot of time in Tokyo, JR Pass can be a huge money-saver - our paid for themselves after only a couple of Shinkansen trips.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast