Quantcast
Nvidia 3000 Series Announcement - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia 3000 Series Announcement

My Ride
    XT6

So is the gaming system to buy 5600X and 6800XT; assuming intel/nvidia don't respond with price reductions (or TI models) that could be a huge shift in market share.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6900XT at costing 30% less than 3090? That means I don't need to wait for 3080Ti any more.

Not just Linus, there will be many other reviews as well. If you want to really nerd out, Gamer Nexus goes a lot deeper.
    I just like that he's canadian.

IMO some of the only YouTube reviews worth watching for PC parts are Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed in that order. Gamers Nexus in particular has invested more than anyone else in specialized and in some cases custom equipment to ensure the utmost accuracy in all their testing, and they have a clear focus on objectivity regardless of the outcome. They also regularly call out manufacturers for shady processes which is nice to see since they are big enough to use their own money and not to have to rely on free review samples. The smaller YouTubers are heavily reliant on free review gear, especially while they're just getting their feet off the ground, and are therefore incentivized to not say anything negative because they can't afford to buy their own review samples.

I personally don't understand how Linus and J2Z are as popular as they are. They can be entertaining but if you're there for information, they often leave much to be desired and leave out lots of details. Then you have bottom of the barrel tech reviewers like MB who are insanely popular but offer zero actual information beyond what the manufacturer provides, and the channels are mostly just used to show off all the free gear they get.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    So is the gaming system to buy 5600X and 6800XT; assuming intel/nvidia don't respond with price reductions (or TI models) that could be a huge shift in market share.
    I think that will be an extremely popular combination, at least until the non-X parts come out that can simply be OC'd to the "X" levels. No way is Nvidia going to lower prices below the 6000 AMD GPUs, but they might go hard on ray tracing marketing as they are going to beat AMD there.

The AMD GPUs trading blows (and often beating) Nvidia's equivalents and giving people almost double the VRAM of a 3080 with less power consumption is going to be very well received. The cards are also significantly smaller which means they will fit in a wider variety of builds and mobos.

Hard to see the point of a 3070Ti and 3080Ti now as well, especially in the case of the 3080Ti because a 3080 is already 95% of a 3090 in games. There is a massive price gap to fill, but almost no performance gap to squeeze into.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-28-2020 at 01:00 PM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    Depends on your brand loyalty and preferences, but that combo would likely be the best bang for your buck. It's what I'm planning.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Depends on your brand loyalty and preferences, but that combo would likely be the best bang for your buck. It's what I'm planning.
    For the first time ever, I am buying an AMD card. Didn't see that coming.

5900x + 6800xt.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Still reading about the AMD cards but sounds like it's a step in the right direction and actual competition for Nvidia. Sounds like they're playing the pricing game appropriately as well since they're not on the same level yet as they did with the Zen 3 prime bump since they're on Intel's level/better performing on the cpu side.

For the price point, Nvidia software stack and owning a G-sync monitor already, I'm glad I nabbed a 3080 already as I'd want to stick with Nvidia for now.

Actual performance reviews a weekish before the actual release will be good from youtubers to see what real performance and stats are.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

I think that will be an extremely popular combination, at least until the non-X parts come out that can simply be OC'd to the "X" levels. No way is Nvidia going to lower prices below the 6000 AMD GPUs, but they might go hard on ray tracing marketing as they are going to beat AMD there.
    6800xt supports ray tracing? Or are Nvidia cards still better at this?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Thru DirectX XII Ultimate.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...x-12-ultimate/

So easy for devs to do this especially they are doing cross platform with Xbox.

Both support it but Nvidia will be better at it at least at launch. Nvidia has Tensor cores which help with noise reduction in RT - AMD can do the same thing by running the process through the shaders, but it puts more strain on the GPU, hence lower performance in that area. That is my understanding anyway.

Also it looks like AMD's infinity fabric gives them nearly double the memory bandwidth of Nvidia despite using GDDR6 vs 6X VRAM (1.66 TB/s vs 935.8 GB/s).

My Ride
    2020 M2 Competition

managed to get an MSI Ventus OC 3080 from the newegg drop tonight. at the end of the day, is a 3080 going to be good regardless of AIB (especially considering this insane stock situation)? Guess we'll see how the zen 3 launch goes for availability and if my release day preorder for a different 3080 at memex comes in by then as well.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Glad I waited on my next PC build. These cards from AMD do indeed look promising. Looking forward to benchmarks, specifically Flight Sim at 4k in Ultra in a very demanding area. (Yes I know Flight Sim is heavily CPU bound.)
    Last edited by 16hypen3sp; 10-29-2020 at 05:00 AM.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bicycle

6800xt and 6900xt both has the same TDP and virtually the same card with 8 more CU. So what's the magic sauce on 6900xt for it to match 3090?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

6800xt and 6900xt both has the same TDP and virtually the same card with 8 more CU. So what's the magic sauce on 6900xt for it to match 3090?
    3090 said its 10-15% faster than the 3080.

6800xt has 72 CU vs 80CU which is 11% more ... seems to check out? 6800xt and 3080 go toe to toe as well

My Ride
    Bicycle

3090 said its 10-15% faster than the 3080.

6800xt has 72 CU vs 80CU which is 11% more ... seems to check out? 6800xt and 3080 go toe to toe as well
    But why the same 300W TDP and not 330-350w. That's totally sus unless it's a typo or 6900xt are just binned version for 6800xt and Rage mode take it close to 3090 performance?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-29-2020 at 09:59 AM.

But why the same 300W TDP and not 330-350w. That's totally sus unless it's a typo.
    Sometimes binning is done for efficiency, that is probably at least part of the equation.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

But why the same 300W TDP and not 330-350w. That's totally sus unless it's a typo or 6900xt are just binned version for 6800xt and Rage mode take it close to 3090 performance?
    Probably the same reasons CPUs are binned are certain wattage threshholds. Take the Ryzen chips, from the 8-core 5800x to the 16 core 5950x are all rated at the same 105W TDP. But the 6-core 5600X is 65W. That doesn't mean the 5800x uses 50% more power than the 5600x, rather just thats what they spec'd it for. I'd guess the 6800XT has a decent but of headroom which means OC cards can be pushed and still within spec.

On another note, 3070 in stock at MemEx and other places, interesting how as soon as AMD drops their new card stock starts appearing all over.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 10-29-2020 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

3070 in stock at MemEx and other places, interesting how as soon as AMD drops their new card stock starts appearing all over.
    "in store only" and they won't pick up the phone.

People around these parts heap praise on MemEx, but it isn't the company it used to be. I called a few weeks back to add to the waitlist for 3080 and the dude on the phone was a total prick. It's why I bought most of my PC from Amazon out of spite: at least I'm a shareholder of the company telling me to go fuck myself.

MemEx is just like any other shitty multi-location retailer now and no more deserving of your business than Amazon.

My Ride
    2020 M2 Competition

3070 in stock at MemEx and other places, interesting how as soon as AMD drops their new card stock starts appearing all over.
    Well, how much stock? Seems sold out online everywhere again... it is launch day after all.

There is lots of speculation that Nvidia is playing games like they did with the 2000 series launch to keep prices artificially high. They have definitely done it before.

They also set the embargo date for partner cards long after their own founders edition is available so they get all the first sales with ridiculous MSRPs. Can't really blame them for taking advantage of early adopters though I guess.

Honestly I think it would be pretty dumb to buy an Nvidia card until the third party reviews on AMD 6000 come out in a few weeks. With the lower power limits, smaller physical size, and significantly higher VRAM I think they are going to take a lot of Nvidia's sales. Also, anyone building a PC at this point is obviously going to be building with Ryzen 5000 over Intel, and AMD is giving you a further incentive to pair it with their GPU with Smart Access Memory.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    MemEx is just like any other shitty multi-location retailer now and no more deserving of your business than Amazon.
    This. I am going out of my way with this build to not buy from MemEx even if it means paying shipping from Newegg and it will probably be the most expensive build I've done.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    "in store only" and they won't pick up the phone.

People around these parts heap praise on MemEx, but it isn't the company it used to be. I called a few weeks back to add to the waitlist for 3080 and the dude on the phone was a total prick. It's why I bought most of my PC from Amazon out of spite: at least I'm a shareholder of the company telling me to go fuck myself.

Oh interesting ... good to know. Maybe I won't put my faith there for the Zen 3 chips then

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast