Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does this look reasonable? CAD and gaming (flight sim and FPS at 1080P 144hz)...
    This is a slightly better board and it's on sale right now for the same price as the Asus: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77643

It has Intel LAN (instead of Realtek), slightly better VRM, and Q-Flash bios flashback.

That RAM is too slow for Ryzen - ideally you want 3600 MHz CL16 (or better) unless you are going to be overclocking it. Then ideally you want either 2X dual rank sticks or 4X single rank sticks but that's harder to do with only 16GB.

This would be ideal: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-2...9dgwN2CgD72pew

It's also Samsung B-die and you should be able to easily OC to something like 3733Mhz 14-14-14-28 if you want.

For your SSD, PCI 4.0 won't help with games, so you may wish to get a PCi 3.0 drive instead but double the capacity, like a Samsung 970 Evo/Plus 1TB. That Corsair PCI 4.0 SSD is barely any faster than a good PCI 3.0 SSD as well, so unless you are getting something like a Samsung 980 Pro, I would just stick to a good PCI 3.0 SSD. Up to you for that one though. Vuugo has these 970 Pro Plus' 1TB for only $210: https://www.vuugo.com/samsung-ssd-MZ...=5108053939762

I assume you already have a case, PSU, windows, CPU cooler, etc.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-13-2020 at 10:43 AM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Similar to above, I'd swap the SSD for one cheaper
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX75358

And I'd swap the ram for something better
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX80360

Also since you are running the ryzen chip I'd consider waiting for more reviews of the 6800 to come out and see. It's a bit more expensive than the 3070 so gotta see which outperforms the other but it should be within ~50$ of the 3070 so worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    That RAM is too slow for Ryzen - ideally you want 3600 MHz CL16 (or better) unless you are going to be overclocking it. Then ideally you want either 2X dual rank sticks or 4X single rank sticks but that's harder to do with only 16GB.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGux...ardwareUnboxed

Suggesting he double his pricing for ram is silly, when we are talking gains of a couple % at most. Pheoxs suggestion is much more reasonable. Shouldn't get bottom of the barrel ram, but this whole dual rank vs single rank argument that is raging lately is pretty meaningless to 99% of even hardcore PC guys. Is there a benefit? Sure. But that $100 (or in the case of getting dual rank, more like an extra $200) makes no sense.

An extra $300 would get him a 3080 from a 3070, but we're talking 20fps at max settings at 1440p on most games, and almost 20fps at 4k.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Anything you guys have your eyes on for Black Friday?
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Anything you guys have your eyes on for Black Friday?
    I suspect only thing you might see a really good deal on is peripherals or a SSD/HDD. Sales on more desirable PC parts are usually pretty weak, or no different than regular sales throughout the year.

Best Buy has the Seagate 10TB externals back on for $199 which is the same as Black Friday / Boxing Day last year. Inside is a ~$450 Barracuda Pro 7200 RPM Helium-filled PMR drive and they're super easy to shuck.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This is pretty good actually. I've been looking to migrate over from Win7 to 10 (begrudgingly) and this would be helpful for backing up everything I have. Thx
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I coukd use a USB external drive to attach to my router as a poor boy Nas, but I have a pathological hatred for spinning platters so ssd or gtfo.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I coukd use a USB external drive to attach to my router as a poor boy Nas, but I have a pathological hatred for spinning platters so ssd or gtfo.
    Dafuq man. I have a Samsung T7 that was used for a few weeks waiting for you to low ball me.
    Fast but only 500GB though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Give ya an FJ for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Give ya an FJ for it.
    A Jeep?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Okay, thanks for the input. Changing my build accordingly.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I read a few places that DDR4-4000 will be the sweet spot with the new 5000's. Is the performance hit between 3200-3600 going to make a huge difference?

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    I read a few places that DDR4-4000 will be the sweet spot with the new 5000's. Is the performance hit between 3200-3600 going to make a huge difference?
    Depends on your FCLK on the processor. Seems to be a good bet is to get 1:1:1 on the infinity fabric, which is likely a 3600 or 3800 stick. If you want to go crazy, get those in CL14, but realistically CL16 is fine. As this article states, unlikely you'll be hitting 2000mhz on all but the best chips:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/co...yzen-5000-cpus

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you will get much larger of a performance boost by spending your money on the GPU. It's all GPU nowadays, especially at the higher resolutions. 4k the biggest benefit is gpu bar none. 1080 is definitely more cpu focused as the fps gets up there.

In my opinion, it really depends on what you are doing with the computer nowadays. HD gaming or "competitive" gaming.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    In my opinion, it really depends on what you are doing with the computer nowadays. HD gaming or "competitive" gaming.
    True. I love laughing at competitive gaming, streamers with 2080ti's and beastly CPUs running on minimum texture levels to get max fps haha. Makes sense, but I still find it funny.

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    DDR-4000 is only the sweet spot if you get extremely lucky with the silicon lottery - I haven't seen anyone yet that has got their fclk to 2000 MHz (what you would need to take advantage of 4000 MHz RAM). Apparently AMD is going to release an updated AGESA to make it easier to hit 2000 MHz but it doesn't look like many people are having luck even on those new AGESAs. Pretty much everyone can hit 1800MHz, hence the 3600MHz RAM recommendation. Also keep in mind RAM performance is a combination of the bandwidth and timings, so it's possible to have lower MHz RAM that performs better depending on the disparity between bandwidth and timings.

As I said earlier the sweet spot for value is 3600 CL16, ideally also with 16's for sub-timings as well but that will raise the price slightly. If you buy good RAM (Samsung B-die or Micron E-die), you will be able to overclock it to whatever you need anyway in terms of matching the fclk, and you will also be able to tighten the timings further. With Ryzen, buying the proper RAM can give you easily 10% or more performance compared to a lesser kit, which is more than you typically see out of a year-over-year CPU refresh for example (Ryzen 5000 notwithstanding haha), so it can be a really cheap way to get some extra horsepower if you can afford it.

As for your question, 3200 vs 3600MHz needs more context. 3200 14-14-14 for example will be Samsung B-die and will be about as fast as 3600 with loose timings, and you can also overclock it very easily. If you want plug & play, get a 3600 CL16 kit.

There is a crossover point where you can brute force your way past the magical 1:1:1 ratio and end up with higher performance, but it's not practical for 99.9% of users.

If you're getting 32GB of RAM, make sure you get either 2X16 dual rank or 4X8 single rank. Either of the kits I linked earlier would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    True. I love laughing at competitive gaming, streamers with 2080ti's and beastly CPUs running on minimum texture levels to get max fps haha. Makes sense, but I still find it funny.
    Of for sure lol I to find it hilarious in a sense. We have all this computational power and.... min settings at 1080p. The future is now!

To clarify a bit more of my previous post, here is another recent test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPTb...el=OptimumTech

I'm all for getting good performance, but it seems to me that memory by and large is a waste. Note the video is only "single rank" ram modules to boot. I've been very happy with my gskill flarex cl14 3200mhz ram that I then tinkered with the ram profile on.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Thinking about buying a 3600x off amazon to fill the void, tired of waiting and everything I read on reddit doesn't sound promising regarding restock any time soon.

Don't really want to wait for any potential Black Friday sales either as by the time I get the chip it'll be another 1.5-2 weeks wasted at this point.

Sounding like a broken record at this point but just pissed there's been zero 5900x stock and have an entire builds worth of parts just collecting dust while I game on an 8 year old build.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Thinking about buying a 3600x off amazon to fill the void, tired of waiting and everything I read on reddit doesn't sound promising regarding restock any time soon.

Don't really want to wait for any potential Black Friday sales either as by the time I get the chip it'll be another 1.5-2 weeks wasted at this point.

Sounding like a broken record at this point but just pissed there's been zero 5900x stock and have an entire builds worth of parts just collecting dust while I game on an 8 year old build.
    I would still wait for a Ryzen 5000 CPU. You are so close, and the performance uplift is massive compared to Ryzen 3000/Zen2.

Stock is regularly arriving - most retailers are still filling preorders. Everything I've read coming from actual retailers suggests it's not that bad and stock is regularly arriving but not in huge numbers. Canada Computers is getting Ryzen 5000 stock every 2 days, for example, but they won't ship them

I'm in the exact same boat as you, I have an entire build ready to go but missing a 5950x. No way would I consider a 3950x at this point but I guess it depends how badly you need your new PC up and running.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I would still wait for a Ryzen 5000 CPU. You are so close, and the performance uplift is massive compared to Ryzen 3000/Zen2.

Stock is regularly arriving - most retailers are still filling preorders. Everything I've read coming from actual retailers suggests it's not that bad and stock is regularly arriving but not in huge numbers. Canada Computers is getting Ryzen 5000 stock every 2 days, for example, but they won't ship them

I'm in the exact same boat as you, I have an entire build ready to go but missing a 5950x. No way would I consider a 3950x at this point but I guess it depends how badly you need your new PC up and running.
    I'm still going to get a 5900x but the 3600x will be a rental/gap filler. 2 weeks+ wasted now waiting and if some stock comes in by the end of the month and I don't get one then it's another 2+ weeks wasted.

Ready to say fuck it and either return to Amazon or take a ~$100 hit and sell on Kijiji once I get my 5900x.
    Last edited by 2Legit2Quit; 11-17-2020 at 11:24 AM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I'm still going to get a 5900x but the 3600x will be a rental/gap filler. 2 weeks+ wasted now waiting and if some stock comes in by the end of the month and I don't one then it's another 2+ weeks wasted.

Ready to say fuck it and either return to Amazon or take a ~$100 hit and sell on Kijiji once I get my 5900x.
    If you do that, I'll buy the 3600x off of you for my HTPC

Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast