Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you do that, I'll buy the 3600x off of you for my HTPC
    Just note if you get a 3600X you will need a discrete GPU, compared with something like a 3400G you would not as it has an integrated GPU capable of HTPC use. You may already know that, but just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I'm still going to get a 5900x but the 3600x will be a rental/gap filler. 2 weeks+ wasted now waiting and if some stock comes in by the end of the month and I don't get one then it's another 2+ weeks wasted.

Ready to say fuck it and either return to Amazon or take a ~$100 hit and sell on Kijiji once I get my 5900x.
    That's not a bad plan either. Worst case scenario you use it for 1-2 months at which point you will EASILY have got ~$100 of value out of it. Even 1 weekend of gaming is worth the $100, if you assign a value of say $10/hr for cheap entertainment.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Just note if you get a 3600X you will need a discrete GPU, compared with something like a 3400G you would not as it has an integrated GPU capable of HTPC use. You may already know that, but just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not a bad plan either. Worst case scenario you use it for 1-2 months at which point you will EASILY have got ~$100 of value out of it. Even 1 weekend of gaming is worth the $100, if you assign a value of say $10/hr for cheap entertainment.
    Yeah at this point I'd pay $100 over retail for a 5900x too just so I don't waste time hitting F5 throughout the day. Obviously didn't want to go this route but might be the best play if it's weeks or months before I get a 5900x.

Just bought one off Amazon so yolo it is.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you know what case I'm stuffing it into... lol. Guide me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Heck I'll rent out my 5800x for 100$ :p

Well you know what case I'm stuffing it into... lol. Guide me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.
    Haha that's true, I do. That case will take a GPU up to 210mm long, but I didn't know if you wanted a discrete GPU if that is going to be a HTPC. You could go either way.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Heck I'll rent out my 5800x for 100$ :p
    Thought about buying your 5800 several times but afraid I'll have remorse in a few years not going for the extra cores

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Haha that's true, I do. That case will take a GPU up to 210mm long, but I didn't know if you wanted a discrete GPU if that is going to be a HTPC. You could go either way.
    I want to be able to play most games in 1080p on my 60" TV. Not too concerned about 4k but would be sweet if I could make that happen somehow. Will also stream Netflix/YouTube/etc. on it. Going to run Windows 10 Pro.

I was thinking of stuffing in a 2060 or something or the biggest thing I could get to fit in there.

I want to be able to play most games in 1080p on my 60" TV. Not too concerned about 4k but would be sweet if I could make that happen somehow. Will also stream Netflix/YouTube/etc. on it. Going to run Windows 10 Pro.

I was thinking of stuffing in a 2060 or something or the biggest thing I could get to fit in there.
    OK if you're going to game I would probably get a discrete GPU, it will give you more flexibility.

Mid-range cards like a 2060 or similar should be easy to fit in that case. You can also buy some extremely compact GPUs such as this one: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX75296

I suspect only thing you might see a really good deal on is peripherals or a SSD/HDD. Sales on more desirable PC parts are usually pretty weak, or no different than regular sales throughout the year.

Best Buy has the Seagate 10TB externals back on for $199 which is the same as Black Friday / Boxing Day last year. Inside is a ~$450 Barracuda Pro 7200 RPM Helium-filled PMR drive and they're super easy to shuck.
    Hey, which of the Seagate 10tb drives have the Barracuda Pro drive inside of them, there are 2 for sale at BestBuy, one is 199 the other 249. I'm going to shuck a couple of them, so I want to be sure I get the right one.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...00400/13873749
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...c=ds&gclsrc=ds

Hey Pheoxs, I'm might buy one of the 980 Pro drives that are on early sale. I think. Does the PCIE 4.0 that the 980 supports make much of a difference in performance over 3.0? Reason I ask is I have all the parts waiting for my 5950x build, and the board supports 4.0 obviously. Is it worth it to jump to the 980 Pro, as I had planned and re using a 970 Evo I have left over in the AMD system build from my 10900k current system.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Lmao, Memex apparently didn't get ANY of the new AMD cards. Looks like AMD somehow managed to +1up the Nvidia 3000 launch.

My Ride

Well I changed my mind yet again yesterday, nixxed buying a 3600x as a rental and ended up buying pheoxs' 5800x off of him.

Might roll with the 5800x for the foreseeable future and buy a 5900x way down the road if the extra power is needed. Not sure how long it will take for 5900x stock to come in and I was just flat out tired of waiting.

Built last night:

Ryzen 5800x
    Aorus Elite x570 mobo
    ASUS TUF OC 3080
    32GB G.Skill CL16 RAM
    2TB XPG Gammix S11 M2 NVMe
    Seasonic 750 watt platinum PSU
    Fractal Design Define 7 case
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO cpu cooler

Some pics from along the way

Name:  PC1.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  59.8 KB
    Name:  PC2.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  66.6 KB
    Name:  PC3.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  40.6 KB
    Name:  PC4.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  40.6 KB

Super love this case, so easy to work with, and love a fully modular psu coming from a non-modular on my old rig.

Just updated the bios and installed Windows and a few apps last night so haven't really played around with it overly yet. Everything is so quiet compared to the jet engine that was my old setup.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Dang that looks nice and clean / minimal

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Hey, which of the Seagate 10tb drives have the Barracuda Pro drive inside of them, there are 2 for sale at BestBuy, one is 199 the other 249. I'm going to shuck a couple of them, so I want to be sure I get the right one.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...00400/13873749
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...c=ds&gclsrc=ds

Hey Pheoxs, I'm might buy one of the 980 Pro drives that are on early sale. I think. Does the PCIE 4.0 that the 980 supports make much of a difference in performance over 3.0? Reason I ask is I have all the parts waiting for my 5950x build, and the board supports 4.0 obviously. Is it worth it to jump to the 980 Pro, as I had planned and re using a 970 Evo I have left over in the AMD system build from my 10900k current system.
    Both of them, so buy the cheaper one - Seagate doesn't make a low-end 10TB drive to my knowledge.

Some of them are even shipping with Exos enterprise drives in them, but the "worst" you can do is a Barracuda Pro. You can always verify with software before you shuck it as well if you're worried. I have bought both of those exact drives though and shucked them and it's the same Barracuda Pro inside both.

For games you will notice zero difference with a PCI 4.0 SSD but the price difference is so small (less than $100 on a 1TB) you might as well just get one in my opinion. That way if anything changes in the future you don't have to bother with swapping out your OS drive. 1TB 980 Pro is only $300 - much cheaper than prior "pro" models. Looks like Best Buy is still the only place with them in stock at least at that capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I changed my mind yet again yesterday, nixxed buying a 3600x as a rental and ended up buying pheoxs' 5800x off of him.

Might roll with the 5800x for the foreseeable future and buy a 5900x way down the road if the extra power is needed. Not sure how long it will take for 5900x stock to come in and I was just flat out tired of waiting.

Built last night:

Ryzen 5800x
    Aorus Elite x570 mobo
    ASUS TUF OC 3080
    32GB G.Skill CL16 RAM
    2TB XPG Gammix S11 M2 NVMe
    Seasonic 750 watt platinum PSU
    Fractal Design Define 7 case
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO cpu cooler
    Looks awesome I'm jealous that you got a CPU haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Lmao, Memex apparently didn't get ANY of the new AMD cards. Looks like AMD somehow managed to +1up the Nvidia 3000 launch.
    Yeah people were warned a little while ago that supply would be basically zero for the first month or so. With GPUs though I don't mind waiting a bit, unlike CPUs they sometimes have a few bugs to work out.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-18-2020 at 10:28 AM.

My Ride

My buddy ordered the same card I have, asus 3080 TUF OC, on launch day online from memex and it finally shipped yesterday...was just delivered an hour ago.

Seems like some 3000 series stock was dropped on Radeon launch eve, fun reading all the rage posts on reddit about the lack of Radeon stock....although after looking at and watching some reviews, Nvidia still the winner in multiple areas.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

My buddy ordered the same card I have, asus 3080 TUF OC, on launch day online from memex and it finally shipped yesterday...was just delivered an hour ago.

Seems like some 3000 series stock was dropped on Radeon launch eve, fun reading all the rage posts on reddit about the lack of Radeon stock....although after looking at and watching some reviews, Nvidia still the winner in multiple areas.
    I'm gonna wait for a TI release and drivers to go through a rev or two then probably swap GPUs. I swore many generations ago to never buy a launch gpu again. So much hit or miss disappointment.

The people on reddit losing their minds obviously didn't do any research - it was well known this launch would be similar to Nvidia's with the initial stock being extremely hard to get. Also, AMD probably shipped quite a few units but with demand being so much higher than supply, it feels like there were none available. It should start to improve when the partner card embargos are lifted next week on the 25th. I suspect (and am hoping) that most of these supply issues are a thing of the past by early 2021.

I've got a 1080Ti to use for now, but I will be buying a 3080Ti or 6800XT/6900XT - haven't had a chance to look at any reviews yet. Either way I'm waiting until the dust settles in 2021 and any driver/hardware issues are ironed out for both.

The people on reddit losing their minds obviously didn't do any research - it was well known this launch would be similar to Nvidia's with the initial stock being extremely hard to get. Also, AMD probably shipped quite a few units but with demand being so much higher than supply, it feels like there were none available.
    That's because Intel/Nvidia bad. AMD is the messiah they can do no wrong and are the best at everything. The blind fanboyism around AMD is incredibly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    That's because Intel/Nvidia bad. AMD is the messiah they can do no wrong and are the best at everything. The blind fanboyism around AMD is incredibly annoying.
    I don't think that's why. Nvidia almost surely shipped FAR more units but also had much higher demand, so the outcome was the same (i.e. most people don't get their GPU on launch day). Neither company wants to see willing customers unable to buy their product. The nice thing about PC components is there isn't much room for subjectivity, everything is run through the same set of objective tests and compared on equal ground so it's really easy to make accurate comparisons. I've only had time to scan one review so far but the 6000 series doesn't look groundbreaking, it seems to trade blows with the equivalent Nvidia offerings as expected in games without ray tracing, and Nvidia has a clear lead with RTX. Nvidia's GPUs should also still be better for creatives as Ampere is a workstation architecture at heart. I'll wait for more objective testing but I suspect I'll end up with a 3080Ti when the dust settles as my personal usage is mixed between games and photo/video editing.

Both of them, so buy the cheaper one - Seagate doesn't make a low-end 10TB drive to my knowledge.

Some of them are even shipping with Exos enterprise drives in them, but the "worst" you can do is a Barracuda Pro. You can always verify with software before you shuck it as well if you're worried. I have bought both of those exact drives though and shucked them and it's the same Barracuda Pro inside both.
    I picked up 2 from Memory Express on Monday. They both had Iron Wolf Pros.

Which is great because I'm replacing my 4TB NAS drives with them!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This is pretty good actually. I've been looking to migrate over from Win7 to 10 (begrudgingly) and this would be helpful for backing up everything I have. Thx
    @msommers I got you, homeboy.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast