The Scotch Thread - Page 79 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 79 of 111 FirstFirst ... 69 78 79 80 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 2217

Thread: The Scotch Thread

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For a 21 yr, its priced very well (~140), but I was disappointed with it, as was the bunch our blind tasting a few weeks ago (last place). Different stokes for different folks of course.

For those curious our rankings were as follows (out of 10 scale, average)...

8.0 - Glen Scotia 15 - $113
    7.7 - Kayo Japanese Mizunara oak - $99
    7.7 - Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben - $78
    7.0 - Finlaggan Old Reserve Islay (Trader Joes) - $18 USD
    6.6 - Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 - $89
    6.3 - Togouchi 15 - $159
    6.0 - Arberlour A'bunadh - $120
    5.5 - Aberfeldy 21 - $140

Even though it was over zoom, a fun way to break up the monotony of Covid
    That trader joes! I'd be a lot more unhealthy if we could get good whiskey for that cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    For a 21 yr, its priced very well (~140), but I was disappointed with it, as was the bunch our blind tasting a few weeks ago (last place). Different stokes for different folks of course.

For those curious our rankings were as follows (out of 10 scale, average)...

8.0 - Glen Scotia 15 - $113
    7.7 - Kayo Japanese Mizunara oak - $99
    7.7 - Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben - $78
    7.0 - Finlaggan Old Reserve Islay (Trader Joes) - $18 USD
    6.6 - Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 - $89
    6.3 - Togouchi 15 - $159
    6.0 - Arberlour A'bunadh - $120
    5.5 - Aberfeldy 21 - $140

Even though it was over zoom, a fun way to break up the monotony of Covid
    Curious... How does one set up a blind tasting over zoom? Sounds interesting!

On a side note, I always am a little more cautious in trusting the palette (mine included) and tasting notes when trying multiple scotches like this. Tastebuds from spirits definitely get affected and confused by the alcohol and flavours, and the order with which everything gets tested and so forth. Even with a single bottle, one day I can identify different notes than another day. I mean there is usually always going to be something predominant, but overall it does change with all the variables. That doesn't mean it isn't good fun none-the-less!

A guy like me loves all of them. I am not a Islay guy or Highland guy or Speyside guy etc... I am a whisky guy, and all of them have something different but enjoyable!
    Last edited by tirebob; 01-15-2021 at 11:10 AM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

On a side note, I always am a little more cautious in trusting the palette (mine included) and tasting notes when trying multiple scotches like this. Tastebuds from spirits definitely get affected and confused by the alcohol and flavours, and the order with which everything gets tested and so forth. Even with a single bottle, one day I can identify different notes than another day. I mean there is usually always going to be something predominant, but overall it does change with all the variables. That doesn't mean it isn't good fun none-the-less!

A guy like me loves all of them. I am not a Islay guy or Highland guy or Speyside guy etc... I am a whisky guy, and all of them have something different but enjoyable!
    I agree, it’s almost impossible to taste multiple whiskies in one sitting and determine a profile. Totally fucks with my tastebuds/smells.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I think it's possible to taste 7-8 of them in one sitting, but you need some thing in between to reset the palate (e.g. dark chocolate) and nose (e.g. coffee).

That's a decent list to taste in that there's nothing peaty that would overwhelm everything else, but that A'bunadh could be a challenge. It's a massive sherry bomb at 58-60% abv depending on the batch (which batch did you guys open?), so that's a finish difficult to shake off.

Ive tasted most on that list and I think my #1 would be the A'bunadh (depending on batch #), and then the Aberfeldy 21. Never tried the Trader Joe's but the Kayo would be on the bottom end of my list, slightly better than the Togochi 15
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 01-15-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    I think it's possible to taste 7-8 of them in one sitting, but you need some thing in between to reset the palate (e.g. dark chocolate) and nose (e.g. coffee).
    The issue with spirits is the strength of the alcohol itself doing temporary damage to the taste buds that affects the way flavours are perceived. Not amount of palette cleanse will fix that up in the time between tastes. Again, the predominant characteristics will still come through, but the subtitles will be socked.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That trader joes! I'd be a lot more unhealthy if we could get good whiskey for that cheap.
    That was a shocker - a friend of ours works in SF and donated the bottle to the cause. It was great actually because it acted as a bit of an equalizer with some otherwise expensive scotches. Next time I do this, I want to bring in a JW Red or something for giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    A little bit of prep work involved, I initially thought I would try to get a taster series from a liquor store but they were super overpriced, and we didn't like that we couldn't really choose. Essentially, we set a price point (max $150), and everyone gave their bottle suggestions (and a backup in case I couldn't find it). I went to Superstore/Wine & Beyond to find the best price and picked up the bottles. Then, off to Dollarama, they have 8 packs of jam jars for $4. I got my wife to split up the bottles evenly into the jam jars and label them 1-8. I put one set in the mail for a friend in Kelowna. Took the total price and divided it by the number of folks.

For the zoom call, we all had it set up with glasses and water. Took our time through the first go around with some small samples to make sure we didn't get too drunk before going into it, I took down comments, and ratings from everyone. Then, we kind of bullshit and drank whatever we wanted to. Nothing super academic...

Nice thing is that we all still had lots of leftovers, so have been dabbling throughout the last month and given some revised feedback. Overall, none of my ratings changed (surprisingly), a few people mentioned they like the Balvenie CC more the they got into it.

Lots of fun, can't wait to do it again and a nice way to try out a bunch of scotches without having to commit to a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    I agree, it’s almost impossible to taste multiple whiskies in one sitting and determine a profile. Totally fucks with my tastebuds/smells.
    I agree, not perfect of course, but we were all surprised that our preferences were relatively consistant.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post

That's a decent list to taste in that there's nothing peaty that would overwhelm everything else, but that A'bunadh could be a challenge. It's a massive sherry bomb at 58-60% abv depending on the batch (which batch did you guys open?), so that's a finish difficult to shake off.

Ive tasted most on that list and I think my #1 would be the A'bunadh (depending on batch #), and then the Aberfeldy 21. Never tried the Trader Joe's but the Kayo would be on the bottom end of my list, slightly better than the Togochi 15
    Your right, fortunately (somehow), we ended up with the A'bunduh last #8. I have come back to it many times as I have heard so much positive about it, and just can't get into it. It absolutely assaults my senses even compared to Octomore 09.3. Again personal take.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Name:  DC455456-7DA1-4465-93D5-40C4200C910E.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  96.4 KB

I need to build a bar, ran out of room.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Name:  DC455456-7DA1-4465-93D5-40C4200C910E.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  96.4 KB

I need to build a bar, ran out of room.
    You can always throw away some dishes and just keep filling cupboards! Ask me how I know... Lol

Looking good!

Sobeys/Safeway has most of their scotch on sale. Picked up Old Pulteney 12 for $46 and The Classic Laddie for $54.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

That's a cute start, 89coupe.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    That's a cute start, 89coupe.
    Wont get any larger, have to drink what’s there for anything to be replaced. It’s a revolving shelf of tasty delights.

My Ride
    V8s

Got a few more delivered today, they're all on sale at Craft Cellars. Haven't tried any of them before, and they are a little outside of my normal preferences, but wanted to try some new things.

Name:  IMG_2241.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  54.0 KB

My Ride
    95B

Got a few more delivered today, they're all on sale at Craft Cellars. Haven't tried any of them before, and they are a little outside of my normal preferences, but wanted to try some new things.

Name:  IMG_2241.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  54.0 KB
    Nice
    I have Mortlach 20. It is good.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Nice! I haven't tried any of those yet myself. Any age statement on the BenRiachs?

I was rewarded for successful completion of Dry January with a steal of a deal at the Supermarket: 50% off JB Double Black so I only paid 15 Euro. It's really not a bad blend, particularly for that price!

Name:  IMG_20210201_120101_2.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  45.6 KB

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Nice! I haven't tried any of those yet myself. Any age statement on the BenRiachs?
    Nope no age statement on them. Tried the mortlach, it’s a good scotch just not my favourite. For someone who is into something spicy (strong nutmeg and clove) they’d love it, it’s a little much for me though. I’ll probably drink it periodically.

Digging back into something more familiar tonight. This stuff is just awesome:
    Name:  245249A5-4FCA-4807-B0B6-5FB5F91C5CDB.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  61.9 KB

In my opinion its a toss up between Springbank and Kilchoman for the best whisky coming out of Scotland these days, just fantastic juice!

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I picked up a few supplies for summer...

Name:  IMG_20210315_182115_2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  79.4 KB

My Ride
    06 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    I picked up a few supplies for summer...
    Deanston has earned some high praise in recent years. I was really impressed by the 12 for the money and would buy again in a heartbeat. Great value in those picks all around.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by tenth View Post
    Deanston has earned some high praise in recent years. I was really impressed by the 12 for the money and would buy again in a heartbeat. Great value in those picks all around.
    Yea, that's what I was going for. Regret not picking up an Uigeadail as well but I'll keep watching for the next sale.

I don't have photos but yesterday my UK-based whisky group picked up a cask of Linkwood New Make in a bourbon cask. 2k GBP to buy, then we'll pay 65 GBP/year to store it, and a bunch more at bottling. Idea is for each person in our group of ~20 to receive a bottle and for us to hopefully still earn a profit on selling the rest of the cask.

I didn't organize it but my mate used Braeburn for the purchase. https://braeburnwhisky.com/

Really enjoying this single cask from Sierra Springs, I'm a sucker for a port cask and this one is a beauty!
    LD-Export by Erik McRitchie, on Flickr

Page 79 of 111 FirstFirst ... 69 78 79 80 89 ... LastLast