Quantcast
Roofer wanted to install additional vents - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Roofer wanted to install additional vents

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

ExtraSlow dreams of building in the country with a really steep roof and no gutters. It'll be glorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I agree that your problem is very baffling! I hope you can figure it out.
    My gut says that it's not a leak but that the conservation is gathering IN the exit vent and then making its way back in to the house.
    Just a guess though... I'm not sure why I think that.
    That makes the most logical sense. If there was attic rain issues we would have seen them last winter or even last week. Its been warm for too long for it to just show up yesterday.

Did not run the fan all night last night and the dripping and cold draft seems to have stopped. Still a small stain on the ceiling. What in the fuck? Unless whatever moisture issue is up there has frozen back up (ie: blocked vent) so no more dripping/draft. Probably to return later this week when it warms. Fuck off roof.

Any recommendations for roofers to come take a quick look at this. Zero chance I'm climbing up onto the roof or through a tiny attic space to check this shit out further.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    That makes the most logical sense. If there was attic rain issues we would have seen them last winter or even last week. Its been warm for too long for it to just show up yesterday.

Did not run the fan all night last night and the dripping and cold draft seems to have stopped. Still a small stain on the ceiling. What in the fuck? Unless whatever moisture issue is up there has frozen back up (ie: blocked vent) so no more dripping/draft. Probably to return later this week when it warms. Fuck off roof.

Any recommendations for roofers to come take a quick look at this. Zero chance I'm climbing up onto the roof or through a tiny attic space to check this shit out further.
    Getting around in your attic might not be as horrible as you think. I had to take a few steps in and it was massively complicated by the fact that my blown-in insulation completely obstructs my view of the trusses, but with some good gloves and a head lamp... It was... Tolerable.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Getting around in your attic might not be as horrible as you think. I had to take a few steps in and it was massively complicated by the fact that my blown-in insulation completely obstructs my view of the trusses, but with some good gloves and a head lamp... It was... Tolerable.
    Yah it's not so bad. I ran cables up there before. Just have to make sure you feel the trusses before you take your next step, else you fall through the ceiling

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

4:12 slopped roof and minimum heel heights mean there is no space up there. Or very little, especially at the perimeter where the bathroom sits.

Wear an N95 mask. That shit will rek your lungs.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I have that low slope roof and you can basically take a look from the hatch but good f'n luck crawling around in there on your belly. Plus the attic hatch has a rectangle of fibreglass just sitting loose on it so I had to run strings over it to pull it down into place once the hatch was closed back up.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    4:12 slopped roof and minimum heel heights mean there is no space up there. Or very little, especially at the perimeter where the bathroom sits.
    True, I didn't say that I went all the fuckin way over there - just that I took a couple baby steps and it wasn't as life-altering as I thought it would be.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Ok here is an update on my bathroom fan leak situation. It kept happening so I pulled the fan out to look at the ducting. No damper at the fan housing, flex vent went about 2' laterally then connected to a vertical rigid vent. I could feel cold air drafting in. I contacted the builder who put me in touch with the hvac guy. I told him about my roof damper theory. He said he has seen this issue often but the 2 most likely causes are:
    - fan housing takes up 8" of ceiling cavity so blown in insulation is thinner over the can. The 2" of insul doesnt keep the can warm eenough so condensation develops on can. Need to add insulation above fan if that is your issue.
    - second option is a blocked fresh air vent causing house to pull a vaccum and suck air in from the fan vent. Well sure as shit my fresh air vent was linted up the asshole and I didnt catch it during my fall maintenance. Cleaned it out and will see if problem resolves when I run fan tomorrow morn. Already it feels like less air draft coming in from the vent duct.

Name:  IMG_20220202_1303371.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  386.9 KB
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Trucks

Gotta go Brazilian on that one. Keep your holes clean, damn it.

My Ride
    Canyonero

are you sure that's your furnace's fresh air intake? why the fuck would it lint up like that?

To me that screams dryer exhaust vent, which would explain why it's so lint-y.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

No damper, should be an intake vent.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    are you sure that's your furnace's fresh air intake? why the fuck would it lint up like that?

To me that screams dryer exhaust vent, which would explain why it's so lint-y.
    Lint is on the outside of the grill, not inside.

My Ride
    *The First*

That's remnants from several vagrant rodents and other vermin participating in a soup kitchen at the air intake.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I looked at the lint I vaccuumed/brushed out of there and I couldn't tell if it was mouse fur or dandelion fluff mixed with scuzzy dust. But we did have a lot of dandelions on that side of the house this past summer. I am thinking of suing my neighbour for spreading dandelions to my yard, thereby linting up my air intake, thereby pulling a vaccuum through my bathroom fan, thereby dripping water onto my waterproof floor and the side of my arm while I was taking a morning shit. So far I am calculating my damages at $1MM for pain and suffering and liability seems open and shut to me.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    I looked at the lint I vaccuumed/brushed out of there and I couldn't tell if it was mouse fur or dandelion fluff mixed with scuzzy dust. But we did have a lot of dandelions on that side of the house this past summer. I am thinking of suing my neighbour for spreading dandelions to my yard, thereby linting up my air intake, thereby pulling a vaccuum through my bathroom fan, thereby dripping water onto my waterproof floor and the side of my arm while I was taking a morning shit. So far I am calculating my damages at $1MM for pain and suffering and liability seems open and shut to me.
    Just whack off shortly before the next time you fuck his dad so you can really get some mileage out of it.
    Then you're pretty much even.
    /Arbitration

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    You can't have a screen on a dryer vent according to the code! It's probably an intake vent but it's good that you cleaned it.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Ya that was the fresh air intake. Because it was clogged, the furnace and hrv was pulling a vacuum and making air suck in through the bathroom exhuast ducting. That cooled down the fan causing condensation which would melt/drip when the fan was turned on. I cleaned the lint, now the hrv/furn had good intake air and no more vacuum/air leak through the bathroom vent duct.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

I ended up having Magic siding and roofing in Cochrane install these solar powered active vents. I went into that attic a week later and I can certainly feel the draw that 2 of these vents. They're hail resistant with a warranty included so they'll get the test next year haha.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seasons-design...65724139&psc=1

Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 366
Size:  185.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by B69 View Post
    You can't have a screen on a dryer vent according to the code! It's probably an intake vent but it's good that you cleaned it.
    Anything pre-90s and you'll see the wackiest things. Anything pre-00s and it's only half crazy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3