Quantcast
AT or winter tires for truck in snow?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: AT or winter tires for truck in snow??

My Ride
    Taco

Default AT or winter tires for truck in snow??

For those of you that have run both All Terrain (KO2, Open Country etc) and winter tires (blizzak, x-ice etc) which do you prefer for snowy days like yesterday/today?
    My Tacoma came stock with Goodyear Wranglers. They seem good at everything but great at nothing.
    I’m trying to decide if it’s worth getting dedicated winters and how would they perform driving in 12” of snow? Do they just out perform AT tires on ice or snow too?

My Ride
    *The First*

There is no comparison. Be great at something.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Had a 2500hd truck and ran both winter and all seasons. Never really noticed much of a difference.

4wd helped more than the tires did imho

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Speaking in hypotheticals… an aggressive A/T should out perform a dedicated winter in deep, fresh snow… but those conditions I would agree that 4x4 (with locking diffs) and ground clearance is what really shines.

It’s unrealistic to think pure deep snow will be everywhere, and on or off-road where you will get hung up the most is anywhere it’s polished down to ice… and this is where the compound on a dedicated winter will shine.

What seems to be the real winner for trucks in the winter though is a sipped and studded A/T, which is what I’d personally do if I winter wheeled at all after experiencing the hills all shined up in waiparous on M/Ts back in the day

Currently I have some borderline tread open country A/Ts on the hooptie truck and a more moderate bridgestone dueler A/T with full tread on the bronco and they both did great this week, but neither were awesome last month during heavy ice conditions

Which Wranglers? There are a multitude of different sub-models of Wrangler...

Generally though, proper quality winter tire in deeper cold and on ice and compact to medium depth snow will be superior to any all terrain.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

ran michelin defender LT on a 2500 HD and it was perfectly fine in winter and on moderately icy roads.

Past 2 winters have been on Michelin x-ice snow in a LD F150. Seem to be a bit better on icy conditions but still not as good as a studded tire.

So if money was no object, I would run A/T style tires in the summer and a dedicated winter w/ studs in the winter.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

On my Taco I usually run studded Nokian Hakka's in the winter and Yokohama 003's for the rest of the year.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

No comparison get winters

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No comparison get winters
    This and that.

This thread will help as it's been discussed. https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/415...AT-Truck-Tires

My Ride
    Taco

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Which Wranglers? There are a multitude of different sub-models of Wrangler...

Generally though, proper quality winter tire in deeper cold and on ice and compact to medium depth snow will be superior to any all terrain.
    Stock Tacomas now come with Wrangler territory AT with Kevlar. I believe these are made only for Tacoma’s and not sold by shops - but you would know that better than me!

They performed well in the snow the last two days. They are only ok on icy highways. My Michelin X-ice on my old Ridgeline felt significantly better on ice. But being a different vehicle it’s not apples to apples comparison. I just have to decide what’s better to upgrade first - dedicated winters or better AT tires for summer.

Trying to see if there are any downsides to winters - like performing worse in deep snow.
    Last edited by B20EF; 02-23-2023 at 08:12 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bob is right, there are "okay in winter" wrangler and there are "shit in winter" wrangler. None are better on-road below -15c than a true winter tire.
    And this is coming from a buy who drives a pickup with wrangler daily all winter. Winters are better.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Winters will be best in winter of course. But if you just want to own one set of tires, some siped all terrains work pretty good too. I have Cooper AT3s on the jeep and they're decent. Duratracs are good too but spendy.
    Name:  225-70r14-99s-discoverer-m-s-w113ctr844--d0d0d4ae-e56d-417b-a29a-ea6f4453a7d2.png
Views: 650
Size:  874.8 KB

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

ATs will generally do the job, but I do all kinds of stupid shit with winters that I'd never think of doing with ATs.

I think with snow, clearance and ground speed are going to do more than tread will. It's not like you can kind of paddle your way through snow like you can in mud.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

General Grabber ATX

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Do we have two threads on this topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    General Grabber ATX
    I wasn’t a fan of these, they only lasted 35000km on my truck.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    . Duratracs are good too but spendy.
    ]
    Duratracs are garbage on ice. Incredibly horrible on ice. Great in snow.

I am a taco owner and spend a significant amount of time on the Icefields parkway in winter. I have had duratracs, AT/3s, Falken wildpeaks and now run X-Ice's in the winter and sand bags in the back (wildpeaks in summer). They're absolutely fine in the snow we had yesterday, and now functional as the roads turn to ice typically within a day of a snowfall here. It makes for a far more comfortable ride, less time in 4H and generally just a safer feeling. We deal with ice far more then snow, and even when it dumps the roads go icy within a day or two. My duratracs felt like were trying to kill me in winter except in deep snow conditions.

Go see tirebob for a beyond discount on winters and be done with it. The wranglers you have are fine for a summer or two unless you're going to spend much time off road. better then the shitty stock Bridgestone Dueler i got with mine.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 02-23-2023 at 08:53 AM.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Haha good to know, when I worked at Cochrane Toyota theyd always shill them to tacoma guys and they liked them, ones I drove in snow I liked.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

They look fantastic on a truck (super aggressive, no shocker that the TacomaTown boys were shilling them), are great on snow and were very functional for offroading in winter (used them lots to get in and out of the Ghost during ice climbing season), but man alive on an icy highway or even around the collector roads in calgary they were generally terrifying after 1 year of wear. Studded duratracs would be a great winter tire but man they were plenty loud being un-studded. Being worried about sliding through a set of lights in a 50 km/hr zone got old pretty quick

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

I put Geolander X-AT tires on my Tacoma. In the deep snow they are great, I have been really impressed with them. My first winter I was a bit worried how they would do on the icy roads compared to winters, but they have kept me out of trouble so far.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast