Quantcast
AT or winter tires for truck in snow?? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT or winter tires for truck in snow??

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

You're right, these tires are no good on ice, guy's just completely out of control sideways

The fact is, good tires allow you to have the control and confidence to do this, so yes it is a good demonstration of a tire's ability.

My Ride
    *The First*

You mean that person who is racing?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right, these tires are no good on ice, guy's just completely out of control sideways

The fact is, good tires allow you to have the control and confidence to do this, so yes it is a good demonstration of a tire's ability.
    and yet he would still give his left nut for better tires that dont slip in those conditions. and someone with said tires that dont slip would win every race by a huge margin.

Instead he is making do with the best he has available, that doesn't make them perfect.

pretty bad example
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

For "magic" tires, yes. Better might not be the ideal word choice, here.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    You mean that person who is racing?
    Is there any other way to drive in winter?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Is there any other way to drive in winter?
    Ha! Yeah, I'm feeling lazy to type out my convoluted argument but I feel similar to what Killy said.
    I feel that you are correct, but you are correct about something that doesn't make me incorrect.
    That hurts my head.

Seriously, it's not like I'm wrong.
    Seriously, you are.

Do people realize that a tire's job is to NOT let you go sideways?
    A tire's job is to literally do such a thing for maximum performance.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...iding-slightly

When talking loose surfaces where static friction is greatly diminished, even more so because the mechanical force generated by the tire interacting with the surface sideways is greater then just static friction on its own.

Love the goal post moving though, from TPiM "The best advertisements for tires are those which show them failing" to Killramos "Instead he is making do with the best he has available, that doesn't make them perfect" which nobody actually argued initially. But literally, as the concept of a tire entails, they are effectively perfect, with the only limitation in that specific scenario shown being a mandatory maximum studs. Even with maximum theoretical studs, they are faster sideways then not. A rubber tire, on a smooth surface, is faster sliding then perfectly static.

You're both wrong. Just wrong.

Sentry, don't be a bitch and agree with these retards just because you want to get along with the Beyond crew. You're embarrassing yourself. TPiM's argument isn't convoluted, it's just straight wrong, and Killramos goalpost moving is just his typical BS.

And back to lurking. I was doing so well!
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

FIGHT! FIGHT! FiGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    FIGHT! FIGHT! FiGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    Not today, Satan.
    Without peaking into the ignored post, I'm guessing it's at least two of the four following things
    1.) A misplaced argument about instantaneous centres.
    2.) Needlessly inflammatory.
    3.) Some sort of EIT bullshit about kinetic coefficient of friction.
    4.) Total lack of comprehension of the "argument" in the first place.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It might be all four.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2010 S4

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    If you don't offroad a lot with it, Michelin LTX are fantastic summer/all season for ride quality and noise.
    This was tire I was leaning towards, don't do much offroad other than a little crown land camping here and there

My Ride
    Blue boy

one of my customers asked for my cheapest AT tires so sold him a set of Federals after explaining the difference between AT's and winters etc. Needless to say he came back a month later complaining that they sucked in the deep snow and wanting a refund on them

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by B20EF View Post
    That seems like a good setup - I might copy it.
    I change to my KO2s fairly late into winter, and early in the spring. I like them for heavy wet snow, which we generally only get in the shoulder seasons. Rest of the winter the studded nokians are perfect. Setup works for me.

Just thought I would bump this as for the first time in a lot of years I have switch out of the Duratrac into a new tire just to give something else a go for a change, namely the Toyo Open Country ATIII. I have a lot of clients on these and they seem universally well liked so I am giving them a shot. First impressions are really good! Super smooth and quiet and traction on 2wd driving around in the snow we have been having recently is absolutely decent for an AT type tire. Obviously it is super early to give a completely rounded view and seeing how things are with a bit of wear, but as it sits now I am certainly pleased!

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Just thought I would bump this as for the first time in a lot of years I have switch out of the Duratrac into a new tire just to give something else a go for a change, namely the Toyo Open Country ATIII. I have a lot of clients on these and they seem universally well liked so I am giving them a shot. First impressions are really good! Super smooth and quiet and traction on 2wd driving around in the snow we have been having recently is absolutely decent for an AT type tire. Obviously it is super early to give a completely rounded view and seeing how things are with a bit of wear, but as it sits now I am certainly pleased!
    Super glad for this review, intending to ring you up for a set of them.

are you running the P-rated or the LT 10 ply?

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    Super glad for this review, intending to ring you up for a set of them.

are you running the P-rated or the LT 10 ply?
    My truck is a Chev Trailboss 1500 so definitely the standard load. LT 10 ply is entirely unneeded for these.

The Duratracs that came on it were LRC 6 ply being the trailboss but I really prefer the standard load. Surprisingly the standard load has a higher load index than the LRC/6... Super weird. The P rated is a 116 rating (2756 lb per tire) and the LT LRC/6 is only a 113 (2535 lb per tire) but the LRC has a max pressure of 50psi and the standard P rated is only 44psi.

Goofy...

My truck is a Chev Trailboss 1500 so definitely the standard load. LT 10 ply is entirely unneeded for these.

The Duratracs that came on it were LRC 6 ply being the trailboss but I really prefer the standard load. Surprisingly the standard load has a higher load index than the LRC/6... Super weird. The P rated is a 116 rating (2756 lb per tire) and the LT LRC/6 is only a 113 (2535 lb per tire) but the LRC has a max pressure of 50psi and the standard P rated is only 44psi.

Goofy...
    I've learnt that atop of the right tire for the terrain, the load rating as mentioned is so important to ride quality, road contact and lastly fuel economy.

the best on-road winter tire was my Nokian R3 at 116 and the best A/T in winter I've used was the Nokian Rotiiva (prior to the latest offering).

both had amazing traction, drivability, road comfort, etc... but likely at the expense of durability. but nothing gave me more confidance on the road.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I have a couple of trucks in inventory now with some Nitto something all terrains and they are fucking awful in snow and ice. Both are 22” wheels as well which sucks.

My Ride
    Taco

I've seen some negative reviews for Open Countries with lighter trucks like Tacomas. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by B20EF View Post
    I've seen some negative reviews for Open Countries with lighter trucks like Tacomas. Does that make sense?
    You will see negative reviews on every tire because everybody has different expectations, environments, driving styles, preferences and so forth. Generally I tell people make negative reviews not because a product is bad, but more because it was not the appropriate product for their personal use and driving needs. That is the fault of a sales person not asking the right questions or knowing their products and applying that knowledge correctly. The consumer only knows it didn't meet their expectations rather than the actual reasons why it didn't meet their expectations, so they just say "bad", and that really is unfair tom the tire itself.

When that Toyo came out it got a lot of good press so you get guys going away from more aggressive tires to try it and it is not quite as aggressive, so maybe that guy was disappointed, but for the guy who is lots of highway without serious hardcore off-roading, they may love it.

My point being is it all depends. I rarely get people come back complaining about anything I have sold them, not matter what the tire is, and that is because I try and assess their needs properly before making recommendations. The only real times I get complaints is from those people who don't listen and go by and believe all the online reviews without questioning things. I mean sometimes even the tire that is hatred by most is the absolute perfect tire for someone else's needs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast