Quantcast
City charter, prepare for lower speed limits. Implementing April 2021 - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: City charter, prepare for lower speed limits. Implementing April 2021

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alright, I've sliced up the data in Excel. I can send it to whomever wants to review it or criticize the logic.
    Feel free to pick apart my assumptions for filtering and I can adjust. If it's actually taking off, I can spend more time and make the data look nicer like the guy's original one...

Flitered to include: All Death accidents, Major accidents >=2, Minor accidents >=3, No injury and Unknown are removed.
    Intersections where a death and major accident were counted are only counted once. Arrived at 287 locations of interest.

Just scrolling the data though, most sites are major roads. Richmond Rd has 4 intersections of interest along it. Macleod Tr has 9.
    You start combing it down to locations that are residential and I bet you get to under 50 sites. Pretty weak for a blanketing of speed changes.

One could argue what about the 1 minor accident here and there? Well, targeting those is like trying to predict the next B&E or Murder. Might as well get a Pre-Cog from Minority Report to start working.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...FTv5QbApDgY7nl

Future changes: Could review intersections where speed is currently 70km/h or above and that would remove most markers as it's a lowering of speed limit from 50km/h to 30 or 40 km/h.
    Add more detail and titles to take it further and prove it's a cash grab within residential areas and not a safety item.
    This has always been the argument brought up. The amount of deaths in residential areas isn't enough to warrant this bullshit.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    How many more tickets they gonna hand out now?
    The same amount as before, only now each ticket will cost the driver more.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    I want to post this on our community facebook page where all the soccer moms are in full support of locking up every speeder that goes over 30 in the neighborhood.
    And then every soccer SUV mom are on their phone instagramming their latest hair style. while driving.,

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Ward 7 strikes again. Druh Farrell's pet projects have been some of the worst things to ever happen to this city.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    The same amount as before, only now each ticket will cost the driver more.
    I'm sure there will be a bunch of new 55-60 in 40 that get handed out until it normalizes.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Ward 7 strikes again. Druh Farrell's pet projects have been some of the worst things to ever happen to this city.
    The minute NDP handed of the jurisdiction, you know it's coming.

Now.... giving the number of idiots that barrel down towards an active crosswalk and stop at last minute this morning in the rain/dark, these idiots are giving these restrictive laws more ammo.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-27-2018 at 02:22 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Farrell has always been anti-car. If she had her way we would all be riding bycicles to and from work.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It’s annoying that there’s no recent data. CPS removed downloads for yearly raw data after that compilation was released. We used to be able to grab data for every crime reported yearly.
    I think it's because it became part of that Open Data project: data.calgary.ca
    ---

If you see Druh as the problem, you're missing the forest for the trees.

The vote passed 8-6 without Woolley (the main champion of this) even voting. So really it was 9-6. This had the urban ideologues (Farrell, Carra, Woolley) as well as surburban councilors (Davison, Keating, Jones, Chahal) vote for it. This isn't just a Druh pet project people didn't bother to push back on. This has been a thing from community associations and other vested interest groups for a while all over the city and the council support shows how widespread it is. It was effectively finding an excuse to do something they can pass off as a public safety issue.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Drove through a longer playground zone today, I imagined that everywhere... it was awful

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If a study happens at all, it would be great to know attention vs. speed. My opinion is that the lower the speed limit is across bigger areas, people will pay attention less with an internal dialogue of "I'm not going fast enough for anything bad to happen" and distracted driving goes way up.
    Last edited by msommers; 09-28-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Do you have a list of them? I think one was someone getting run over by a car backing out of a driveway
    The lady killed in Hawkwood was a guy at works wife, he retired 2 weeks before that happened. Was walking their new puppy they got to enjoy retiring with.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    If you see Druh as the problem, you're missing the forest for the trees.

The vote passed 8-6 without Woolley (the main champion of this) even voting. So really it was 9-6. This had the urban ideologues (Farrell, Carra, Woolley) as well as surburban councilors (Davison, Keating, Jones, Chahal) vote for it. This isn't just a Druh pet project people didn't bother to push back on. This has been a thing from community associations and other vested interest groups for a while all over the city and the council support shows how widespread it is. It was effectively finding an excuse to do something they can pass off as a public safety issue.
    Just because some councilors are behind it doesn't mean it's a good idea. The fluoride fiasco is proof the a group of councilors can make some really bad decisions on behalf of Calgarians.

Just because some councilors are behind it doesn't mean it's a good idea. The fluoride fiasco is proof the a group of councilors can make some really bad decisions on behalf of Calgarians.
    I’m not saying it’s a good idea, I’m saying you’re ignoring what the driving force behind it is. Getting rid of Druh and this still would have passed.

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    I’m not saying it’s a good idea, I’m saying you’re ignoring what the driving force behind it is. Getting rid of Druh and this still would have passed.
    Yep. Just go look on every community facebook page. Tons of stay-at-home moms complaining about speeders, or talking about cars almost crashing into them while they're crossing the road. These people complain to their Councillors and police daily.
    ---

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Maybe I'm being cynical, but I just see the "study" as a way to distract the general public and quiet the complainers while they prepare to push through 30km/h for all neighborhoods regardless of what the outcome of the study will be. If they relied on facts to make sound decisions, this idea would have never been suggested in the first place.
    If this is what comes, I'd actually consider leaving Calgary over it.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    If this is what comes, I'd actually consider leaving Calgary over it.
    Start considering
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Start considering
    I'm kinda bummed about this as a born and raised calgarian, I really like it here.
    I was thinking about this as I was running around earlier this morning - I noted as I was cutting through cliff bungalow sidestreets i.e. 22nd ave, that I was only doing about 40kmh due to congestion, and wouldn't really go much faster than that in any other circumstance. So yeah, there are a few instances where a reasonably lower limit probably won't hurt anything. But my confidence is just so low that the leadership at this city will actually take a pragmatic rational look at this - there's no way I should be limited to less than 50 while going down 5th SW, for example, if the road is clear.

Come on, Toronto office transfer?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

I'm curious, how do the beyond members in Airdrie survive with their city's lower residential speed limits? The city of Chestermere also has 40kph pretty much everywhere. Okotoks is at 40 as well.
    Last edited by speedog; 09-29-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Seeing somebody drive 40 on a road like 22nd Ave is definitely what would get the Mission-Cliff Bungalow busybodies to call for a 30km/h limit.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I'm curious, how do the beyond members in Airdrie survive with their city's lower residential speed limits? The city of Chestermere also has 40kph pretty much everywhere. Okotoks is at 40 as well.
    Like you yelling at thE clouds, ppl just deal with it bro.

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast