Quantcast
I've decided I want a Chevy Colorado ZR2. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I've decided I want a Chevy Colorado ZR2.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

German for business

4X4 for Play
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    It was, but that was almost a decade ago... M3 life currently for me
    I'm not sure... But I don't think the m3 would make it through that water.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'm not sure... But I don't think the m3 would make it through that water.
    That would be one hell of a snorkel
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I dumped my Hummer into a mud up to the doors with no more than 300km on the ODO, haha

It is super fun, but It gets expensive quick. Plus the reliability of your rig kind of goes to shit, haha

If you are thinking about this I think the Jeep truck is a WAY better choice btw. I think the ZR2 would be ok occasional off-roading, but the solid axles on the Jeep are the way to go for sure.
    I've learnt, after years of helping build and building rigs (I was a Sammy, Tracker guy) that its just cheaper to pull an already built rig behind you...

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with having 10+ inches of clearance for in case you get caught in snow or have to get through something, but honestly these days in McLean and Waiprous, you see so few rigs compared to the past.

Those Razr's especially the turbo ones are just wild... IFS suspension to boot and more power than you'd ever need offroad. Rock crawling is honestly just the most expensive redneck hobby I can think of.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I dumped my Hummer into a mud up to the doors with no more than 300km on the ODO, haha

It is super fun, but It gets expensive quick. Plus the reliability of your rig kind of goes to shit, haha

If you are thinking about this I think the Jeep truck is a WAY better choice btw. I think the ZR2 would be ok occasional off-roading, but the solid axles on the Jeep are the way to go for sure.
    I'm more solidly in the "pretender" camp.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Other than maybe minivans there are no less cool vehicles than a half ton. They are the dude equivalent of a minivan and I have no interest.
    Well, after the other thread talking about what women look for in men, supposedly owning a truck is the vehicle women associate the most with men they want to date.

So maybe its a you thing. I too dislike trucks, but a TrailBoss gm 1/2 ton is about as "cool" as the others you mentioned. In fact, most people look down on rinky dink quarter tons, except they are kind of justified in said judgement because of how useless they are.

Sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize an irrational purchase. Just admit you wanted to be an ask-hole and have your choice validated by us without listening to any rational arguments against

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Well, after the other thread talking about what women look for in men, supposedly owning a truck is the vehicle women associate the most with men they want to date.

So maybe its a you thing. I too dislike trucks, but a TrailBoss gm 1/2 ton is about as "cool" as the others you mentioned. In fact, most people look down on rinky dink quarter tons, except they are kind of justified in said judgement because of how useless they are.

Sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize an irrational purchase. Just admit you wanted to be an ask-hole and have your choice validated by us without listening to any rational arguments against
    I spend an inordinate amount of time rationalizing irrational purchases. But, if you look, I didn't ask for advice.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I am really liking the ZR2 over the competition, although the Ranger looks good too. I was surprised to read the specs and find out that these trucks are smaller (length) than my Dakota was, which is a good thing. My bumper was over the top of my stairs in my garage in order to park the Dakota in there. The suspension in the ZR2 sounds pretty awesome too, best on and off road but could be pretty pricey to replace when those high end shocks wear out.

I have driven a lot of off road for work including crazy steep, tight shoo flies, high speed ice roads, kilometers of matting and also working in my truck for 12+ hours per day. If I don't have to work in my truck I would go mid size all day everyday but I would live with the issues that come with a full size if I have to work in my truck.

This winter I drove a 1st gen Tundra and parked in a double attached garage with about 2 inches to spare (my bumper was touching the stair case to get the door to close) and underground parking with two pillars adjacent. In the underground I had to have my passenger mirror less than 3 inches from the pillar or I couldn't get out of the truck. If I had to do that everyday all year it would seriously suck. That extra bit of length and width and turning radius in a 1/2 ton make for a major ball ache most of the time and I can't see why anybody not doing a lot of towing or hauling heavy loads or working out of their truck everyday would want (not choose) a full size over a mid size. I completely understand the reasons they choose a full size but for me, more concessions are made picking a full size over a mid size.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I just did the mid-size comparison like 6 months ago. Just to preface this a bit, towing and major off-roading is not high up my list. If they are then go with a TRD, ZR2 or a true 1/2 ton. That being said the truck i chose will see numerous hunting/fishing trips but those are gravel roads and a muddy field at best.

So between the Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, Taco even used Silverado's i ended up with the Ridgeline. It's far larger inside then the competition, the tech options are fantastic, it's the only mid size to fit a 4x8 sheet of wood between the wheel wells, plus all the bed accessories built in. It handles far better then the Colorado, Ram and Silverado i test drove. I actually test drove the Ram, Silverado, Colorado and Ridgeline back to back. It wasn't even close between the two mid size trucks in my opinion. The Honda was a far nicer fake truck. My 2 cents. I encourage you to test drive a few trucks.

After 1 year the Colorado ZR2 actually seems to hold its value better
    The reason I'm comparing 2018's is because the only used ZR2s I could find are 2018s.

ZR2s: https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/...k0c174l9003a49
    TRDs: https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/...k0c174l9003a49

Drove a ZR2, was very impressed

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    I just did the mid-size comparison like 6 months ago. Just to preface this a bit, towing and major off-roading is not high up my list. If they are then go with a TRD, ZR2 or a true 1/2 ton. That being said the truck i chose will see numerous hunting/fishing trips but those are gravel roads and a muddy field at best.

So between the Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, Taco even used Silverado's i ended up with the Ridgeline. It's far larger inside then the competition, the tech options are fantastic, it's the only mid size to fit a 4x8 sheet of wood between the wheel wells, plus all the bed accessories built in. It handles far better then the Colorado, Ram and Silverado i test drove. I actually test drove the Ram, Silverado, Colorado and Ridgeline back to back. It wasn't even close between the two mid size trucks in my opinion. The Honda was a far nicer fake truck. My 2 cents. I encourage you to test drive a few trucks.
    Is the Ridgeline that much better then a new taco?

I'm a Honda fanboy and wasn't even considering a Ridgeline, I'm strongly considering a new 2020 Taco when they come out. Need power seats and LED headlights so no older Taco's or base Ridgelines. The Black Edition Ridgeline is pretty nice looking but no way I'm getting a black truck, its too bad they dont make them in any other colours other then black.

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post

I'm a Honda fanboy and wasn't even considering a Ridgeline, I'm strongly considering a new 2020 Taco when they come out. Need power seats and LED headlights so no older Taco's or base Ridgelines. The Black Edition Ridgeline is pretty nice looking but no way I'm getting a black truck, its too bad they dont make them in any other colours other then black.
    Depends what you're after. Refinement versus rugged.

I originally crossed shopped the Raptor, 1500 Denali, Tacoma, ZR2 and Ridgeline. Full-size was my preference but the Raptor was a tight fit in my garage and I wanted the less truck like ride.

Believe it or not the Raptor has a fairly compliant ride (closer to the ridgeline) but I couldn't get past the dealer gouging at the time so I bought the Honda (EX-L or Touring is the model to buy IMO).

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by Ukyo8 View Post
    After 1 year the Colorado ZR2 actually seems to hold its value better
    The reason I'm comparing 2018's is because the only used ZR2s I could find are 2018s.

ZR2s: https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/...k0c174l9003a49
    TRDs: https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/...k0c174l9003a49

Drove a ZR2, was very impressed
    You're comparing a limited edition ZR2 to the very common TRD Sport and OR models in those links. The Tacomas in the link were all closer to 40 grand before GST, whereas the ZR2s were closer to 50k. Apples to apples would be the TRD Pro trim to compare.

I had a new Ridgeline for 4 months before the Tacoma. RL is a better vehicle in pretty much every single way. It just didn't have the looks and felt like my wife's Odyssey to drive.

Ranger has a great powertrain but rest of the truck is old and not that impressive, Frontier is old and cheap. It actually is outselling the Ranger (USA). Colorado/Canyon are missing some features still like HID/LED lights and keyless entry/start. Gladiator looks really cool, and should be out for test drives soon.

Can't really go wrong with any of these, just depends on what you want.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

For me yes it is that much better. The Taco was a bumpy more truck like ride which is to be expected. 90% of my driving is in the city so i didn't want to compromise the ride for the 10% of fun out in the bush. Plus i could not get past the drum brakes on the Taco. Why Toyota why?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I really like these trucks as well, although i'd go for the GMC variant, i like the more bulky styling rather than the sporty... also i'd get the diesel for hauling my RV... my purpose would be to have something fuel efficient enough to DD (also easier to park) but also powerful enough to haul the trailer...
    Last edited by Thaco; 05-07-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    For me yes it is that much better. The Taco was a bumpy more truck like ride which is to be expected. 90% of my driving is in the city so i didn't want to compromise the ride for the 10% of fun out in the bush. Plus i could not get past the drum brakes on the Taco. Why Toyota why?
    Love the Ridgeline if you use it as a SUV, but you really just can't use it as a truck. But if you want a comfy SUV with alot of storage, and the odd time you need payload or tent trailer, its awesome.

The instant you use it for any sort of "work" there has been reported engine and oil consumption issues... I almost fear the same issue with the Taco moving from the more stout 4.0L

I say for the person who likes recreation, the Ridgeline is a great vehicle to drive to the kids around, looks good enough to drive to a high end event and likes Fishing, biking, skiing (basically a SUV w/ a Box)

For the person who is a hardcore sports enthusiast person, the Taco is reliable and will keep you out of trouble if you do go deep into the brush (shuttling bikes, fireroads, touring skiing)

I think there is a huge purpose for an offroad capable mid-sized truck (as capable mid-sized SUVs are going extinct) and I really don't think you can go wrong with the ZR2, Taco TRD, Ranger FX4

For me, its just I could buy a used Frontier which already has a nice rack for additional storage, for cheap... knowing its relatively reliable and has tons off aftermarket offroad part. At the end of the day, nobody buys or should buy a mid-sized offroad truck to take corners, drag race, or for its interior

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post

For the person who is a hardcore sports enthusiast person, the Taco is reliable and will keep you out of trouble if you do go deep into the brush (shuttling bikes, fireroads, touring skiing)
    Everyone always praises the tacoma for reliability however the newer gen (2016+) has had very poor ratings for predicted reliability (CR) and JD Power for dependability. I wonder how or if this will cause buyers to buy the GM midsize twins which are rated in the top for mid size dependability, predicted reliability and overall driving performance.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    JD Power

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    predicted reliability

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast