Quantcast
Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread - Page 47 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly have no idea who cross shops civics with GTI’s.

The last few gens of civics are such trash, SI or not, as you said not even comparable to how nice even a base GTI is so I don’t know why you keep bringing it up.

Only thing civic really wins on is price, so if that’s all you care about then go civic?

“Fully loaded” is a red herring and the GTI comes pretty well equipped even as a stripper model.
    I don't think many people cross shop them - and I didn't bring up the Civic, someone else did a couple pages back and now everyone seems to be bringing them up again, even you

I tried to cross shop them when I was buying, but the price difference for similar equipment and slightly better performance was $10-11K so I abandoned the idea. If I could add a decent stereo and driver's assistance to a base GTI I'd probably be driving one right now. There is a lot more than price in the equation.

"Fully loaded" is not a red herring, you can look at the option sheets and it's pretty clear what qualifies for fully loaded and what doesn't. Most cars these days are better equipped than they ever have been in base form. The base model GTI comes with pretty much the same things as most other base model cars come with these days. In all of these cars, except the ones only offered in on trim level, you still need to pay more for a stereo that isn't complete garbage, driver's assistance, and leather among other things. A lot more manufacturers offer Apple Car Play / Android Auto along with touchscreens as base features now too. Mostly though nothing has changed, the manufacturers know what people want the most, peel those out, and offer them as options.

Anyways like I said earlier, the WRX Hatch was probably the closest competition and now it's gone. Maybe if the new MB A-class has a semi reasonable base price it could be a competitor, but I suspect it will cost too much.

You keep bringing up the civic, and then comparing it to an autobahn trim Gti The logical comparison is the base model as both are cloth seated. And as I said above, the Gti is $2,000 more. The reason why its only a $2,000 difference is Honda included a bunch of bullshit options that I don't want and would never spend money on to justify the price of the car.

Lane control? Drivers assistance? Autonomous whatever? Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    You keep bringing up the civic, and then comparing it to an autobahn trim Gti The logical comparison is the base model as both are cloth seated. And as I said above, the Gti is $2,000 more. The reason why its only a $2,000 difference is Honda included a bunch of bullshit options that I don't want and would never spend money on to justify the price of the car.

No, I reply to people who brought it up such as yourself. I did not once bring it up, but I have replied to posts about it. I've also said many times not they aren't a good comparison to the GTI and I have always compared like trim levels for consistency. Anyways, who cares? It's mostly a moot point since the prices are so far apart.

A lot of people want options like good infotainment and driver's assistance, which is why they are specifically peeled out and offered as add-ons to increase sale price. If you don't care about those, that's great, there is some real money to be saved if you are always cool buying base models. Nothing wrong with that.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

You can't compare prices for cars in different classes.

Civic = Golf TSI
    Si = GTI
    Type R = Golf R

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    A lot of people want options like good infotainment and driver's assistance, which is why they are specifically peeled out and offered as add-ons to increase sale price. If you don't care about those, that's great, there is some real money to be saved if you are always cool buying base models. Nothing wrong with that.
    The GTI (plus any Golf for that matter) has a good infotainment system with CP and AA and a volume knob. Plus.. the Base GTI has a 8 speaker sound system.. Not sure how that qualifies as "complete garbage".

VW offers DAP on all models of the GTI as well (manual and DSG).

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    The GTI (plus any Golf for that matter) has a good infotainment system with CP and AA and a volume knob. Plus.. the Base GTI has a 8 speaker sound system.. Not sure how that qualifies as "complete garbage".

VW offers DAP on all models of the GTI as well (manual and DSG).
    I haven't heard the 2018 yet, maybe it's better. The base stereo in the 2017 was one of the worst base stereos I've heard - bad enough it would be a deal breaker for me since I listen to music the entire time I am in my car. The number of speakers has little to do with sound quality. Given that they offer an upgraded stereo still, I am going to guess the base stereo is still pretty bad. Not everyone cares about that, but it was important to me when I was shopping.

Yes, I know DAP is offered as an option on all models, that's great and consistent with how most other manufacturers do it - the problem (for me) is to get a half decent stereo you have to buy the $5,300 Autobahn package. If the Fender audio was a separate option like the DAP, that would be perfect.

My Ride
    LNF

Yes, I know DAP is offered as an option on all models, that's great and consistent with how most other manufacturers do it - the problem (for me) is to get a half decent stereo you have to buy the $5,300 Autobahn package. .
    How is that any different from any other manufacturer? If you want premium sound on the Honda.. You have to get the Sport Touring model civic Hatch..

Once again.. You are not comparing apples to apples. Civic Hatch = Golf TSI..

How is that any different from any other manufacturer? If you want premium sound on the Honda.. You have to get the Sport Touring model civic Hatch..

Once again.. You are not comparing apples to apples. Civic Hatch = Golf TSI..
    Why are you still talking about a Civic? Haha. That has nothing to do with it. There is no other apple to compare with

Within the GTI model line you have to pay $5,300 to get a good stereo, due to all the other stuff that comes with it. That was my problem when I was trying to buy one - all of a sudden you are at $40K because the base price is already quite high.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Why are you still talking about a Civic? Haha. That has nothing to do with it. There is no other apple to compare with

Within the GTI model line you have to pay $5,300 to get a good stereo, due to all the other stuff that comes with it. That was my problem when I was trying to buy one - all of a sudden you are at $40K because the base price is already quite high.
    A Golf Highline has an MSRP of $29k, which is more comparable to your Civic Hatch in terms of features and performance. The Highline has leather, panoramic sunroof, Fender audio, navigation, etc.

My Ride
    LNF

The Civic does have everything to do with this. You cannot get a "economy" car with a premium sound system without getting the loaded model. Compare any "economy" car and you will have to package 5-6k worth of options or packages to get premium audio.

The Civic does have everything to do with this. You cannot get a "economy" car with a premium sound system without getting the loaded model. Compare any "economy" car and you will have to package 5-6k worth of options or packages to get premium audio.
    I give up, I don't understand your obsession with the Civic haha. I'm not even arguing against what you're saying so I don't know why you keep bringing it up. Can we go back to talking about the GTI now?

You brought it up...

C&D did a little better, that's good. Still a fair bit slower than 2015 though. Their Civic Si time is weird, the Civic Touring CVT sedan which is the heaviest variant (IMO an econobox) has been tested at 6.7sec 0-60 haha, maybe something was wrong with their Si. So if the GTI was slipping into the 6.2 range, that's why I thought it was creeping a little to close to econobox territory.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Mitsu keeps referring to the civic he bought “instead of a GTI” in all but name. But keeps claiming he has never mentioned civics.

Classic.

Besides what kind of premium sound quality does any model or option civic really have anyways
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I haven't heard the 2018 yet, maybe it's better. The base stereo in the 2017 was one of the worst base stereos I've heard - bad enough it would be a deal breaker for me since I listen to music the entire time I am in my car. The number of speakers has little to do with sound quality. Given that they offer an upgraded stereo still, I am going to guess the base stereo is still pretty bad. Not everyone cares about that, but it was important to me when I was shopping.
    you lost me on thinking the civic stereois good..

You brought it up...
    No I didn't, someone else did several pages back when they posted Civic data and I replied to it.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Mitsu keeps referring to the civic he bought “instead of a GTI” in all but name. But keeps claiming he has never mentioned civics.

Besides what kind of premium sound quality does any model or option civic really have anyways
    I have been clear about my purchase process. The Civic's don't have great stereos and I never said they do All these cars have 'premium' stereos that are better than the base ones, doesn't make them great. You are making assumptions.

I bought a Civic because I was shopping a price bracket a full $10-11K below the GTI, and in that category, it was the best car for me. As myself and others keep saying, they are not comparable vehicles. That has never been relevant to the discussion but everyone keeps bringing it up and it's partially my fault for replying to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    you lost me on thinking the civic stereois good..
    Not only have I never said that, but I don't think that. You are putting words in my mouth.

Are we done with the derail? I'll do my part and not reply to anything that isn't specifically GTI related

My Ride
    G37X

No I didn't, someone else did several pages back when they posted Civic data and I replied to it.

I have been clear about my purchase process. The Civic's don't have great stereos and I never said they do All these cars have 'premium' stereos that are better than the base ones, doesn't make them great. You are making assumptions.

I bought a Civic because I was shopping a price bracket a full $10-11K below the GTI, and in that category, it was the best car for me. As myself and others keep saying, they are not comparable vehicles. That has never been relevant to the discussion but everyone keeps bringing it up and it's partially my fault for replying to them.

Not only have I never said that, but I don't think that. You are putting words in my mouth.

Are we done with the derail? I'll do my part and not reply to anything that isn't specifically GTI related
    Careful, look what happened to me when I mentioned that I have a 278 hp car that traps 103 mph stock....

Also disagree on civic stereos. My 14 Accord has good bass response and I'm quite satisfied with it for the price point.
    09 Civic Si also had amazing bass stock.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 02-13-2018 at 11:05 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'd take an ecoboost mustang over the gti any day.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    What would make you come to that conclusion? Is a 25 year old's comment less valid to you?
    Because nobody here really cares what your Accord traps (dude we really don't care) and we are discussing a great (maybe the best) all around car in the GTI as magazine numbers really don't matter that much in the real world. You will come to understand when you get older that the magazine numbers are not as important as the overall package.

My Ride
    GT TDi

haha accord, i wonder if its feroshes from soundsaround brothaaaaaaaa
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast