Quantcast
Energy Efficiency Alberta - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Efficiency Alberta

What would be an example of "aggressive settings and cycle rates" for a neophyte?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would be an example of "aggressive settings and cycle rates" for a neophyte?
    From past experience, I would say set backs of more than 3 deg C should be avoided, I remember the Feds issuing a study that said 6 deg C gave the highest payback,but you'd have to record your return temps if you were going to push it that low to make sure you weren't below min return spec for that appliance..
    Some thermostats are supposed to learn the ideal cycle rate, I set them at 3 and if people complain about too much temperature droop, I'll increase the setting. Honeywell has a setting based on furnace efficiency, but I found it changes more based on how well the equipment was sized more than what efficiency it has. New machines that have timed based staging and variable fans take some fine tuning, the thermostats work a lot better if you use all the staging the furnace is capable of rather than just relying on the heating call time out feature that's in there to accommodate retrofits that were short of thermostat wires.
    Too loud for Aspen

Can a neophyte find these specifications you speak of on their furnace? My curiosity had been raised a bit.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    something green

It's typically in the install instructions with the furnace, you can find a lot of the original install manuals online, even stuff 30+ years old.
    Edit, I remember my heating instructor using the number 65 deg f for non condensing appliances as a general rule of thumb..
    Last edited by Maxt; 10-15-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

What does setback mean? Example, if I set temps to 20C with a 3C setback, does that mean the AC will only kick in at 23C and heat at 17C?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    What does setback mean? Example, if I set temps to 20C with a 3C setback, does that mean the AC will only kick in at 23C and heat at 17C?
    The amount of temp you decrease from your typical occupied setback for heating, but cooling typically isn't included like that, you can have a wider setback for your cooling and would have a differential in between the heating and the cooling set points. Honeywell typically forces a 2 deg between your cooling and heating set points. So on a honeywell set for 21c on heat, the cool set point would be 23c then with a 3 degree setback on each, the heat setback set point would be 18 and the cool would be 26C..
    so 26(cool)<-setback->23C(cool)<-differential->21(heat)<-setback->18(heat)
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Ok, I have a pair of furnaces, sized the same. Both have had the fans running continuous for the last 6 years. They seem to share the return air as they are both connected to an independent HRV.

Basement floor is heated to 21 (in floor boiler). Upstairs is set to 23. Middle floor is set to 22 during day, 18 at night. 6am, I can hear recovery going full tilt. Am I breaking my furnace? I’m happy to set the hold temp to 22 all summer and all night if hey will last longer. Gas is cheap.

I have carrier infinity with 96% with infinity thermostats.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    The amount of temp you decrease from your typical occupied setback for heating, but cooling typically isn't included like that, you can have a wider setback for your cooling and would have a differential in between the heating and the cooling set points. Honeywell typically forces a 2 deg between your cooling and heating set points. So on a honeywell set for 21c on heat, the cool set point would be 23c then with a 3 degree setback on each, the heat setback set point would be 18 and the cool would be 26C..
    so 26(cool)<-setback->23C(cool)<-differential->21(heat)<-setback->18(heat)
    I wouldn’t survive with that range haha. For the summer I’m at 20.5 to 22.5 range. If it drops below 20.5 it’ll fire heat till it hits 22.5. If it goes above 22.5 it’ll cool till it hits 20.5. Don’t see my system in recovery mode or anything like that at all, ecobee tracks that.

I don’t have a dc motor for my furnace so I run the fan 100% during the day to help circulate the air, which has worked wonders equalizing temperatures as well as keeping the air fresh through the house. It’s also triggered ac and heat less. Expecting that motor to die from so much action haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    something green

I wouldn’t survive with that range haha. For the summer I’m at 20.5 to 22.5 range. If it drops below 20.5 it’ll fire heat till it hits 22.5. If it goes above 22.5 it’ll cool till it hits 20.5. Don’t see my system in recovery mode or anything like that at all, ecobee tracks that.

I don’t have a dc motor for my furnace so I run the fan 100% during the day to help circulate the air, which has worked wonders equalizing temperatures as well as keeping the air fresh through the house. It’s also triggered ac and heat less. Expecting that motor to die from so much action haha.
    Most thermostats are fixed to a 2 degree differential, however if you chose to operate in F instead of C, you can get a narrower operating band yet, since F is a finer increment than C.. I always leave thermostats in F and people lose their shit and switch it to C, and then complain about the temp swing.. When your motors die, get these:
    http://www.usmotors.com/~/media/USMo...-EC-Motor.ashx
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    something green

Is your boiler on a setback as well and is the door closed to the basement?
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Is your boiler on a setback as well and is the door closed to the basement?
    Boiler thermostats are cheap ones that are set and forget. 6 Zones + DHW.

My Ride
    something green

Since most HRV's are garbage, I would put a recording thermometer in the return air and see what the coldest each furnace is seeing during the night and before recovery.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Do you do HVAC work Maxt? If so I’ll call ya when my motor dies haha. Had no idea I could retrofit a DC motor into my old furnace. Was just going to get a new furnace when it died.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Since most HRV's are garbage, I would put a recording thermometer in the return air and see what the coldest each furnace is seeing during the night and before recovery.
    I'll see where I can get one.

I hope my HRV isn't a POS. Paid a fuck load for it. it's a Lifebreath 300DCS. It's 79% efficient at 0 and 75% efficient at -25 according to the label on the box.

https://www.lifebreath.com/products/...on-hrv/300-dcs

The spec sheet doesn't seem to match what's on the unit itself.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

same here.... i'm just waiting for it to die then replace the whole thing. Told the wife "if there's no air coming out of these vents.... better call me asap, we need a new furnace".

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Yup, might be time for us to get a new Furnace soon too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Coop 16th avenue had the Daylight 60w equivalent led bulbs for a buck a bulb this week. Last time was warm white only.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

More in-store rebates coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy Efficiency Alberta website
    INSTANT SAVINGS AVAILABLE
    IN-STORE STARTING APRIL 5TH
    Instant Savings will be available on dozens of easy-to-install energy-efficient products at retailers across the province starting April 5th. Enjoy Instant Savings of $3 to $15 per item at the checkout and even longer term on your power bill. Products include motion sensors, smart power bars, programmable thermostats, clotheslines and much more. Shop early while supplies last.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

And if you buy a new furnace with an electronically commutated motor (ECM), they'll give you a $75 rebate too. Is that just another way of saying DC motor or what?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    And if you buy a new furnace with an electronically commutated motor (ECM), they'll give you a $75 rebate too. Is that just another way of saying DC motor or what?
    Its a variable speed DC motor.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast