Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 70 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 70 of 192 FirstFirst ... 60 69 70 71 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 3838

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Unlock with code a few times without glasses and it’ll learn. I believe the key is to setup faceid without glasses if you plan on using it without glasses once in a while.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Just setup your alternate appearance without glasses

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unlock with code a few times without glasses and it’ll learn. I believe the key is to setup faceid without glasses if you plan on using it without glasses once in a while.
    this, I wear glasses 95% of the time but FaceID can detect my face even without glasses, wearing a hat or sunglasses.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Yup found the alternate setup. Thanks!
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Damn, changing the DOF after you take a pic is pretty amazing.
    That part is just software tricks - nothing new there, been around for years in various forms.

It was actually disappointing to read about the camera and the subsequent reviews - even from iVerge. In a couple weeks they are about to be 2 full years behind the camera game, in arguably one of the most important areas of value these days. For the most part, every flagship phone is pretty much the same now and there is little to differentiate them hardware-wise. The camera(s) are still one of the very few areas they can set themselves apart. With a $2K SKU available, that phone should have the best camera on the market by a mile - kind of disappointing they pretty much ignored it because they know people will just buy it anyway haha.

I was fully expecting the new 11" iPad Pro to be announced but now it looks like October for that one. Pixel 3 and iPad Pro in same month - my poor CC.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, the camera for the XS is an interesting letdown. I mean, most new features are software only these days, with video driving actual camera physical specs in terms of frame rates and resolutions. Most of the stuff is in software, and even the XS is lacking in software. SmartHDR realistically caught up to Google's still photo taking abilities, while changing DOF is alright. Like you said, it's been around for a while, but certainly better quality than the 3rd party apps that can do that now with portrait photos. But compared to others out there, I'm jealous of that P20 Pro night mode. That shit is amazing.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yea, the camera for the XS is an interesting letdown. I mean, most new features are software only these days, with video driving actual camera physical specs in terms of frame rates and resolutions. Most of the stuff is in software, and even the XS is lacking in software. SmartHDR realistically caught up to Google's still photo taking abilities, while changing DOF is alright. Like you said, it's been around for a while, but certainly better quality than the 3rd party apps that can do that now with portrait photos. But compared to others out there, I'm jealous of that P20 Pro night mode. That shit is amazing.
    If I understand the P20 night mode correctly, it uses a 4 second exposure, which would require a tripod for best results. I haven't read much about it though. Most smartphones have a minimum user-selectable shutter speed of around 1/8th second, but would theoretically perform just as well if allowed 4 seconds of light collection as they are all using similar sensors (most of them are BSI & stacked Sony sensors).

A big reason why Google's 'normal' HDR photos and low light shots are so good is they are up to 10 images stacked and fed through a dedicated 8-core 'visual core' processor. Stacking images can get rid of a lot of noise (because it occurs randomly) and also obviously helps the HDR process. I am not sure exactly how the P20 does it behind the scenes.

The portrait mode fake-blur works so well because it uses the on-sensor dual AF pixels to create a depth map, which is more accurate and has greater discretion than 2 stereoscopic cameras most other companies use. I also think Google's AI is just better than anyone else's at this juncture, and they have been buying relevant companies like Lytro.

The most frustrating part of vacationing these days is processing DSLR RAW photos to look as good as the Pixel photos (which I often take side by side), which come out instantly perfect more often than not, albeit obviously with nowhere even remotely near the quality of the former. If you just want pics for social media sharing though it's hard to beat that instant-amazing-shot convenience. Also ever since I got into Drones, my normal photography has taken a back seat haha so I've been taking more and more photos with my phone.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-24-2018 at 09:36 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If I understand the P20 night mode correctly, it uses a 4 second exposure, which would require a tripod for best results. I haven't read much about it though. Most smartphones have a minimum user-selectable shutter speed of around 1/8th second, but would theoretically perform just as well if allowed 4 seconds of light collection as they are all using similar sensors (most of them are BSI & stacked Sony sensors).

A big reason why Google's 'normal' HDR photos and low light shots are so good is they are up to 10 images stacked and fed through a dedicated 8-core 'visual core' processor. Stacking images can get rid of a lot of noise (because it occurs randomly) and also obviously helps the HDR process. I am not sure exactly how the P20 does it behind the scenes.

The portrait mode fake-blur works so well because it uses the on-sensor dual AF pixels to create a depth map, which is more accurate and has greater discretion than 2 stereoscopic cameras most other companies use. I also think Google's AI is just better than anyone else's at this juncture, and they have been buying relevant companies like Lytro.

The most frustrating part of vacationing these days is processing DSLR RAW photos to look as good as the Pixel photos (which I often take side by side), which come out instantly perfect more often than not, albeit obviously with nowhere even remotely near the quality of the former. If you just want pics for social media sharing though it's hard to beat that instant-amazing-shot convenience. Also ever since I got into Drones, my normal photography has taken a back seat haha so I've been taking more and more photos with my phone.
    No need for tripod for the P20 night mode, which is what makes it so fucking amazing. It image stabilizes during the 6 second exposure. Fucking black magic shit haha.

The point of Smart HDR or whatever Apple calls it is basically a rip off of Google's HDR stacking AI logic.

I've noticed the Apple portrait mode edges have been improving in software throughout iOS 11 to the point where it's almost indistinguishable from real DOF from real camera, unless you zoom in. It still has some troubles with small areas under arms though where it doesn't blur the background.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    Can confirm, worked great on the drive home. Still waiting for Waze, it went private beta this week.
    Waze updated today, works great on Carplay.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    Waze updated today, works great on Carplay.
    What is the benefit of Waze? Doesn’t google maps use the same traffic data?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Cops, red light camera alerts

My Ride
    Ford

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Cops, red light camera alerts
    I also have my waze set to beep when 15% over the speed limit.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Went and played around with the Xs Max at the Apple Store. Not sure what The Verge was on about when they said it feels huge in the hands. Doesn't feel much bigger than my 7+ in an otterbox. Maybe I just have big hands though? Will definitely be picking one up in the new year.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

I installed Waze today to check it out. The screen was flooded with fast food restaurants and similar things (can't seem to turn this off), it didn't warn me of the red light camera Northbound on McLeod trail and 11/12th ave (though I guess the enormous signs do haha), and it didn't seem to take into account any traffic lights. Any time I waited at a light, my ETA just increased for the exact time I was sitting at the light - and there are some long ones on my commute (3-4 mins while multiple lanes get their greens). Can you turn on something to take into account the fact that you will not hit every single green light and get rid of the fast food crap? I do like the reporting aspect compared to Google Maps, but the traffic function on Google Maps already warns you of construction, accidents, huge delays, etc. with symbols and red traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by dino_martini View Post
    Went and played around with the Xs Max at the Apple Store. Not sure what The Verge was on about when they said it feels huge in the hands. Doesn't feel much bigger than my 7+ in an otterbox. Maybe I just have big hands though? Will definitely be picking one up in the new year.
    iVerge has a long history of making weird conclusions about phone size (i.e. saying one phone is too big, then an even bigger phone "just right"). I haven't played with the phone yet myself but I have big hands as well and I doubt it would bother me. I have read that some women are complaining it's too big to hold (haha), so maybe that is where they are coming from. It's not a small phone though.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-26-2018 at 08:51 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Weird. All the ads are gone for me when using CarPlay.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Weird. All the ads are gone for me when using CarPlay.
    Could be an Android thing then unless there is a paid version of the app I didn't see that eliminates the ads. Every McDonalds I drive by puts a giant graphic of the golden arches on the map haha. I could turn off gas stations but not fast food.

Is there a way to get it to assume you won't hit every green light?

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Well shit. Tracking is now saying Monday

Damn UPS. Pickup option wasn’t available when I ordered last Friday so that’s why I ended up picking shipping.

Maybe I’ll try to hit up market mall later to see if they have any grey 256 Xs’s left and return the one I get Monday.
    So in the end it's kinda good this happened. Ended up thinking about it more over the weekend and realized it wasn't the best decision to spend $2k (1589 + 249 apple care + case + screen protector + tax) on a phone right now. instead i found a deal on a 6 month old mint iPhone X 256GB with apple care for $1000, so i went with that instead. at the end of day there isn't much difference between the X and Xs, so to me it's basically $1000 savings.

Overall pretty happy with the X. Feels like a brand new phone compared to my 7. FaceID works great so far for me, even in the dark. It's only been a day and i've already gotten used to no home button. Only thing bothering me is the app switching gesture... haven't quite got that down 100%.

Anyways, question... anyone charging their iPhones wirelessly? If so can anyone recommend any decent wireless charging pads that aren't too expensive?

My Ride
    95B

So in the end it's kinda good this happened. Ended up thinking about it more over the weekend and realized it wasn't the best decision to spend $2k (1589 + 249 apple care + case + screen protector + tax) on a phone right now. instead i found a deal on a 6 month old mint iPhone X 256GB with apple care for $1000, so i went with that instead. at the end of day there isn't much difference between the X and Xs, so to me it's basically $1000 savings.

Overall pretty happy with the X. Feels like a brand new phone compared to my 7. FaceID works great so far for me, even in the dark. It's only been a day and i've already gotten used to no home button. Only thing bothering me is the app switching gesture... haven't quite got that down 100%.

Anyways, question... anyone charging their iPhones wirelessly? If so can anyone recommend any decent wireless charging pads that aren't too expensive?
    I am using a Logi from Logitech. It is not the cheapest but I am extremely happy with it.
    https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...stand?fnode=97

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

We ended up biting th bullet on 2 new XS max 256GB. After tax they were $1050 each on the 2 year plan. Now we have to get Apple care - $450 and probably another $50 on 2 cases.

So $2600, luckily we sold both our 7’s for $600.

I think we did okay. 2 new phones for $1400 - should be good for another 2 years!
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Anker from Amazon. Charges even through the case AND a pair of Thinoptics glasses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I installed Waze today to check it out. The screen was flooded with fast food restaurants and similar things (can't seem to turn this off), it didn't warn me of the red light camera Northbound on McLeod trail and 11/12th ave.
    Interesting. Mine sees that camera, and no ads at all, nor any visible restaurants.

Page 70 of 192 FirstFirst ... 60 69 70 71 80 ... LastLast