Quantcast
Rental Property Income - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rental Property Income

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're pretty much bang on! That's the thing, 10k over 12 years doesn't seem like a pretty good return. It's exactly why I was considering selling it and put my money elsewhere.
    It's still worked out to be 3% return in a tax deferred/free portfolio even in this depressed market (although, you basically work for free managing the rental). But you got it in absolute peak that we really never recovered to that point, not even in 2011/12.

At least you paid yourself for the 1st 8 years when you lived there instead of some landlord And rent was pretty crazy from 2011 to 2015.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-29-2019 at 08:42 AM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    You're pretty much bang on! That's the thing, 10k over 12 years doesn't seem like a pretty good return. It's exactly why I was considering selling it and put my money elsewhere.

But as some of you had mentioned, it's not really a seller's market, so I may just keep it for a bit longer.
    Its not a good return overall; but a profit is a profit.

I had a townhouse, bought at the similar time, very similar $$ numbers that I rented for several years and finally had enough dealing with it. Cut my losses (minimal gains I guess) and sold it last summer. Jordan did an amazing job selling it for a reasonable price all while the tenant was still living there.

I kept holding onto it because the overall return was shit (exactly like you) but I honestly didn't think it was ever going to appreciate from 2007 so I got out.

Last edited by stealth; 05-31-2019 at 08:37 AM.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    2 bedroom beach condo on the lake in Kelowna.

Make $10,000 year after all expenses and stay in it 3 weeks a year.
    Is it as AirBnB ?

Renting a condo out in Calgary now is pain in the butts .. high tax, increased high condo fee, after all, only $ few G/ year in my pocket, I know B.C. is still doing good, especially BnB ... but not sure if it is risky, I am more conservative ..

My agent suggested me to buy condo near by SAIT, UofC, or even Mount Royal, great return of investment, but I worry about if rent to young students (what if 6 if them share a two bedroom! LOL)

Love to own a place in Kelowna too! (already give up the plan to buy a condo in Vancouver .. lol)
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

i'm about -500 cashflow but about +200 income. I didn't want to be a landlord, but had trouble selling my townhouse (listed in the worst two months of the year Jan and Feb) and didn't want to hold out any longer.

I got pretty lucky with my tenants wanting to do a 2 year lease so i accepted with the hope that things improve by then assess the situation then.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    My agent suggested me to buy condo near by SAIT, UofC, or even Mount Royal, great return of investment, but I worry about if rent to young students (what if 6 if them share a two bedroom! LOL)
    Area immediate around UC tends to hold prices well. And near Foothills also guarantee more medical professionals/students as tenants.

But who knows, been driving around the new condos in University District, seems empty for now. I'm eyeing phase 2 after the main street is built. May be a good retirement townhouse if I don't retire in Kelowna like the rest of the country.

The 1st phase townhouse feels too tightly packed IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stealth View Post
    Ft. McMurray so worse than Calgary.

Townhouse purchase price of $425k + CMHC = $445k (0 down 40 year mortgage).

$350K left on the mortgage today. Current value: $200-220K.

Mortgage amount: $2100/m
    Condo Fee: $550/m
    Water: $100/m
    Power/Gas: $350/m

Total Cost: $3100 a month.

Rental Income: $2100 a month.

Bought during the boom in 2007, should of sold when I left Ft. Mac but was making good rental income at the time until the last oil crash. Biggest mistake.
    Sorry for saying this but thats a bad situation. 150k negative is insane. Ft Mac was a feeding frenzy and i recall seeing people renting out their driveways for rv's or something like that. Mind if i ask what you were getting at the peak?

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I didn't want to be a landlord, but had trouble selling my townhouse
    Exact same thing with me, i was 25 and no where near ready to be a landlord so i listed it for sale using my friend who was a new realtor(mistake and blessing). FFWD 2 years later my property has almost doubled in value, im now a landlord and im taking the tenant to court because i was too scared to carry 2 mortgages so i took the first guy that said yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    V8s

Ft. McMurray so worse than Calgary.

Townhouse purchase price of $425k + CMHC = $445k (0 down 40 year mortgage).

$350K left on the mortgage today. Current value: $200-220K.

Mortgage amount: $2100/m
    Condo Fee: $550/m
    Water: $100/m
    Power/Gas: $350/m

Total Cost: $3100 a month.

Rental Income: $2100 a month.

Bought during the boom in 2007, should of sold when I left Ft. Mac but was making good rental income at the time until the last oil crash. Biggest mistake.
    Leveraging the shit out of yourself was the real mistake. 0 down, 40 years is

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That's a pretty risky move in any location or market. Most people with zero down rent and save money for a down payment.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    Is it as AirBnB ?

Renting a condo out in Calgary now is pain in the butts .. high tax, increased high condo fee, after all, only $ few G/ year in my pocket, I know B.C. is still doing good, especially BnB ... but not sure if it is risky, I am more conservative ..

Love to own a place in Kelowna too! (already give up the plan to buy a condo in Vancouver .. lol)
    No, it's not AirBnB. It's called Casaloma resort and has an excellent management team that takes care of the rentals. I kind of lucked out when it came up for sale as they are nearly impossible to get a hold of and are usually purchased internally by other owners.

http://www.casaloma.com/accomodations/

I wouldn't bother looking there though because I'm buying another unit as soon as ones available!
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 05-30-2019 at 03:22 PM.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I have no idea you can do 0 down OR 40 years.... Always thought it's 5% and up to 25-30years...

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    I have no idea you can do 0 down OR 40 years.... Always thought it's 5% and up to 25-30years...
    You could for a couple years in 2005 to 2007 with 0% and 40 years. 35 year mortgaged ended around 2012 I think.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    They use to call it the mirror test... put a mirror under the applicant’s nose, if they fogged it then they were approved

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    They use to call it the mirror test... put a mirror under the applicant’s nose, if they fogged it then they were approved
    This.

I was 20 years old at the time. I had a monthly mortgage subsidy by the company I was working for. For the 3 years I lived in Ft. Mac I paid maybe a $200-$300/month out of pocket to live in the town house.

I did rent for the 1st 8 months a tiny bedroom in a townhouse with 4 other guys for $850 a month.

Rocket1k78 $3300 during the peak was normal for my area. I settled for good tenants at $2600.

This.

I was 20 years old at the time. I had a monthly mortgage subsidy by the company I was working for. For the 3 years I lived in Ft. Mac I paid maybe a $200-$300/month out of pocket to live in the town house.

I did rent for the 1st 8 months a tiny bedroom in a townhouse with 4 other guys for $850 a month.

Rocket1k78 $3300 during the peak was normal for my area. I settled for good tenants at $2600.
    FWIW i would've done the same thing as you, you were super young, making insane money and the company was paying a big portion of your mortgage, pretty damn hard to pass up at that age
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2