Quantcast
What would be your must haves/wish list if you could build a custom home? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would be your must haves/wish list if you could build a custom home?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Everyone in this thread is saying triple garage. As a triple garage owner, I can attest that it isn't enough. Depending on the property, I'd prefer a double attached, PLUS a double (or triple) detached. One for daily drivers, one for a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both infloor and drains. Humidity hits 70% because it is so tight. The heat not only melts the snow that drops of the car, it evaporates the water as it drains.
    Maybe it was just your truck? I have a heated garage with no drains, and none of my vehicles rust out. Then again, it's definitely not an energy efficient garage, lots of heat/air loss areas.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think a triple entry with one tandem bay would do it for me, if you really wanted lots of cars add a lift to the tandem bay.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I want a triple-triple tandem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I want a triple-triple tandem.
    Ahhh the warehouse approach. Ballin.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

So far I think we'd prefer having a large bungalow with a finished walk out - stairs suck. Office in the basement away from bedrooms and sound proofed between floors. Gas range with a double oven, large island food prep area. Walk in pantry. Large shower in the master and 100% must have a double sink. Main room vaulted ceilings and tons of windows out to the back yard

For me, in my next house my main focus is going to be the back yard. We spend a ton of time back there and we love to cook and entertain. I'd want a large deck off the back with an outdoor kitchen and nat gas heaters for winter/fall. Under the deck I'd like a hot tub and seating for a firepit. Room for a large shed for yard and lawn things and enough room for a nice sized lawn with flower gardens around it. I'd need to have large privacy screens on the deck and a large fence and trees if its in the city. Ideally I would not have anyone behind us because fuck having neighboors.

I told the wife I won't even consider moving unless we get a bigger garage and currently I have an oversized double. So we'd be looking at a tripple car garage with at least one of them being a tandem, or a double attached and double detached. Essentially a place for each DD as well as a bay for toys and a bay for my wood & metal shop. I'd definitely be rocking in floor drainage too.

I would rather not live in the city but thats probably the only way I would be able to afford a custom build. Otherwise my ideal location would be an acrage just outside of town on the SW side surrounded by large mature treas
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Lots of good ideas!

I like the soundproofing of rooms but I am not sure the cost/effectiveness around it.

I would also add:
    -2 hot water tanks
    -In floor heating in the master bath
    -a ton of dimmable pot lights

I'm going to install an on-demand water heater when the hot water tank goes kaput. Looks like most of the annoying problems are gone now.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember to get solid core doors if you want soundproofed rooms. Makes a huge difference.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

We've got an eye out for a development lot now and this is a constant discussion I have with my wife ("put it on the list!")... A few items off the top of my head -

Large, oversized garage... Ideally each bay needs to be extra wide and extra deep.
    Storage area in the garage... Bikes, skis, etc
    Large mudroom with lots of storage, lockers, etc. A friend had a vent built in to each locker to act as a boot dryer...
    Exterior man door in the garage or mudroom, etc... Convenient exit for letting dogs out and containing them when they come back in with muddy paws, etc
    Large butlers pantry (one builder we've talked to called it a "scullery")... Extra sink, extra fridge, extra dishwasher; basically an area to hide all the mess after a big meal if you don't want to deal with it right away.
    Lots of storage - broom closets, linen closets, etc.
    Higher ceilings - probably 10'.
    Sound proofing between floors
    Solid core doors
    Dual wall overs with an additional warming drawer
    Built in coffee station with water line
    Pot filler over the stove
    Heavy duty hood fan
    Steam oven (I have a feeling we'll go over-the-top in the appliance area)
    At least one dual and an additional single sink in the kitchen
    Space for a small TV in the kitchen
    Separate, dedicated playroom, to (try and) contain all the kids' toys and crap
    Dual sinks and make up vanity in the master bathroom
    Built in bench and shelf for shampoo etc in the shower
    Heated floors in all ensuites (I like the idea of complete radiant heating, but haven't looked into it enough yet)
    Proper wine storage room... Doesn't have to be a extravagant cellar, but at least dark and cool. A friend is a wine distributor and his ~2,000 bottle "cellar" is a spare room in the basement with the carpet taken up to expose the concrete floor and black out shades over the window.
    Large laundry room w/ dual washers / dryers and sink
    Dedicated kids playroom with tons of storage

Things I think we would skip / do without -

Multiple wine fridges... Like, we have one in our bedroom now... Why?
    Multiple shower jets... I have yet to find a body jet system / set up that I like.
    Honestly, we could probably do without a tub in the master bathroom... Unless we pile the kids into "the big tub" for fun, it gets used maybe once a year. I know, I know... resale...
    Fireplace in the master / ensuite... Never used

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^That’s a pretty solid list! Good points all around.

fact.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    We've got an eye out for a development lot now and this is a constant discussion I have with my wife ("put it on the list!")... A few items off the top of my head -

Large, oversized garage... Ideally each bay needs to be extra wide and extra deep.
    Storage area in the garage... Bikes, skis, etc
    Large mudroom with lots of storage, lockers, etc. A friend had a vent built in to each locker to act as a boot dryer...
    Exterior man door in the garage or mudroom, etc... Convenient exit for letting dogs out and containing them when they come back in with muddy paws, etc
    Large butlers pantry (one builder we've talked to called it a "scullery")... Extra sink, extra fridge, extra dishwasher; basically an area to hide all the mess after a big meal if you don't want to deal with it right away.
    Lots of storage - broom closets, linen closets, etc.
    Higher ceilings - probably 10'.
    Sound proofing between floors
    Solid core doors
    Dual wall overs with an additional warming drawer
    Built in coffee station with water line
    Pot filler over the stove
    Heavy duty hood fan
    Steam oven (I have a feeling we'll go over-the-top in the appliance area)
    At least one dual and an additional single sink in the kitchen
    Space for a small TV in the kitchen
    Separate, dedicated playroom, to (try and) contain all the kids' toys and crap
    Dual sinks and make up vanity in the master bathroom
    Built in bench and shelf for shampoo etc in the shower
    Heated floors in all ensuites (I like the idea of complete radiant heating, but haven't looked into it enough yet)
    Proper wine storage room... Doesn't have to be a extravagant cellar, but at least dark and cool. A friend is a wine distributor and his ~2,000 bottle "cellar" is a spare room in the basement with the carpet taken up to expose the concrete floor and black out shades over the window.
    Large laundry room w/ dual washers / dryers and sink
    Dedicated kids playroom with tons of storage

Things I think we would skip / do without -

Multiple wine fridges... Like, we have one in our bedroom now... Why?
    Multiple shower jets... I have yet to find a body jet system / set up that I like.
    Honestly, we could probably do without a tub in the master bathroom... Unless we pile the kids into "the big tub" for fun, it gets used maybe once a year. I know, I know... resale...
    Fireplace in the master / ensuite... Never used
    We've done most on your list in our current house, but I want to build again. haha. make small improvements.
    It's been mentioned, but you forgot to put a sink in your garage.
    We did the boot dryer under the bench in the mud room. Each locker would be great, but overkill for us.
    Custom stainless hood fan is the bomb.

When you find a coffee station with a waterline (that feeds into the machine), let me know. Miele, Wolf, and others still have to be filled by hand.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, extra high CFM hood fan would be high on my list. My wife burns shit on the regular...
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

1200 CFM. haha

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

We've done most on your list in our current house, but I want to build again. haha. make small improvements.
    It's been mentioned, but you forgot to put a sink in your garage.
    We did the boot dryer under the bench in the mud room. Each locker would be great, but overkill for us.

When you find a coffee station with a waterline (that feeds into the machine), let me know. Miele, Wolf, and others still have to be filled by hand.
    I'm having a tough time thinking of a practical use for a sink in the garage... best for rinsing muddy boots, etc? I know this is the wrong place to admit it, but I'm not really a "garage guy"...

We definitely need individual lockers for the kids, but you're probably right that individual dryers would be overkill and a single 'boot area' under the lockers would suffice. I did notice in a home we toured recently that they included laundry equipment in the mudroom, as well as a primary laundry room on the second floor - I could see that being useful for snow pants, wet sports great, etc...

The waterline to the coffee machine was something I haven't actually looked into, but it's one of those "surely it must exist" thoughts I've had, as I constantly refill the reservoir. Why hasn't someone done that?!

I see that I listed playroom twice... hahaha

I do also like the idea of heated driveways, walkways and patios...

Since you've been there, done that, any other suggestions?

My Ride
    V8s

Both infloor and drains. Humidity hits 70% because it is so tight. The heat not only melts the snow that drops of the car, it evaporates the water as it drains.
    My parents garage is like this. Super tight, in floor heating with drains. My dad used to have an exhaust fan cycling and window cracked all winter to get some moisture out. He put HRVs in the house and garage last year.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I think a triple entry with one tandem bay would do it for me, if you really wanted lots of cars add a lift to the tandem bay.
    This is my garage and it's pretty glorious. 2 Daily drivers in the double section, 2 race cars and 1 summer car in the tandem section. Zero cars on the driveway.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    This is my garage and it's pretty glorious. 2 Daily drivers in the double section, 2 race cars and 1 summer car in the tandem section. Zero cars on the driveway.
    I approve of your lifestyle.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I'm having a tough time thinking of a practical use for a sink in the garage... best for rinsing muddy boots, etc? I know this is the wrong place to admit it, but I'm not really a "garage guy"...
    For me it would be to wash my hands and such after working on the cars or doing yard work rather than using the inside bathroom and getting it all dirty every time.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sink to pre wash rags after detailing would be great. Having water right there to wet rags also good.

Lots of reasons to have a sink in the garage.

Was walking my dog this AM and what is a real flex, is those heated driveways. Wow.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sink to pre wash rags after detailing would be great. Having water right there to wet rags also good.

Lots of reasons to have a sink in the garage.

Was walking my dog this AM and what is a real flex, is those heated driveways. Wow.
    Heated driveways and sidewalks, for sure. Without that, you are just a plebe.

My wife actually wanted one to bathe the dog instead of bringing a dirty dog in the house.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast