Quantcast
Tenant went on a trip for 3 weeks over xmas and thought it was ok to turn heat off... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenant went on a trip for 3 weeks over xmas and thought it was ok to turn heat off...

Unreal.
    Check your policy to know how long a place can go without being checked on.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    X2, I've dated a few of them.

Good for a short time, not a long time.
    Don't even date em. Only good for a "u up?"

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Unreal.
    This. Insurance likely has a requirement. There is probably a lot more damage that you will find over the course of the next few days. Document everything, this will likely be a lawsuit.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    This. Insurance likely has a requirement. There is probably a lot more damage that you will find over the course of the next few days. Document everything, this will likely be a lawsuit.
    It was funny, I pushed Meloche Monnex to give me the date requirement to check in on the place and they told me they didn't have one... which I found to be interesting.

Something like this happened to some guys I knew in university. Guy tells his friend could stay at his place in Edmonton over the winter break, but told him to turn off the water when he left. He decided to turn off the heat, in -30 Edmonton for a few weeks.

Guy comes back up a few weeks later after a long drive from Calgary and needs to use the washroom ASAP... walks into the house runs to the washroom and opens up the toilet to find a frozen block of ice. This is where it gets even crazier.. Guy decides to 'thaw out' the place and cranks up the heat and goes out for the day. Of course, every pipe in the house at this point has burst and the house essentially flooded. I think they had to end up restoring the house virtually from square one.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Lease

@Neil4Speed so where did buddy end up turfing the turd?

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    @Neil4Speed so where did buddy end up turfing the turd?
    Hopefully this is a backstory of @Toilet_X 's life.

My Ride
    POS

I've seen this at some vacant houses for sale. You could see your breath when walking around with all the floors creaking. I hope that $50 in savings was worth it.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    It was funny, I pushed Meloche Monnex to give me the date requirement to check in on the place and they told me they didn't have one... which I found to be interesting.

Something like this happened to some guys I knew in university. Guy tells his friend could stay at his place in Edmonton over the winter break, but told him to turn off the water when he left. He decided to turn off the heat, in -30 Edmonton for a few weeks.

Guy comes back up a few weeks later after a long drive from Calgary and needs to use the washroom ASAP... walks into the house runs to the washroom and opens up the toilet to find a frozen block of ice. This is where it gets even crazier.. Guy decides to 'thaw out' the place and cranks up the heat and goes out for the day. Of course, every pipe in the house at this point has burst and the house essentially flooded. I think they had to end up restoring the house virtually from square one.
    This would be my biggest concern thawing it out. The freeze normally only weakens the pipe, the shards of ice that push past the pipe or pressure that builds up at turn points are what cause blow outs. My condolences man, this won’t be an easy fix.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    bus

Time to find smarter tenants. Oh the joys of being a landlord, any profit always get wiped out by these idiot renters.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Lockout temp control to your phone app or at least monitor it for any tenant nonsense. Set-up an alert if it's set below 15c? Surely there are smart thermostats that allow for this.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Lockout temp control to your phone app or at least monitor it for any tenant nonsense. Set-up an alert if it's set below 15c? Surely there are smart thermostats that allow for this.
    There are many systems for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Unreal.
    from what i was told its 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    Time to find smarter tenants. Oh the joys of being a landlord, any profit always get wiped out by these idiot renters.
    The crazy part is this tenant is by far the most educated ive had by far. As far as profit loss goes you got a point no doubt but thats not the case for all, like i said its not for everyone and some will lose their asses but for me ive been lucky and had some good tenants for the most part(longest was 10.5 years not 1 issue and this lady on paper looked like shit, divorce with no credit and debt).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Definitely going to look into something like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Canyonero

wow- hope it all works out Rocket. Looks grim.

The lease we signed on our current place has us PERSONALLY liable for flood damage due to freezing as the result of negligent acts like this (eg. leaving a door open in the cold, or turning off the heat). My tenant/possessions policy wouldn't cover this. I signed the lease under protest and IIRC changed the wording to reflect intentional malice, because I don't feel like getting sued or going bankrupt over a situation like this, not that I believe I'd be so dumb as to inflict such a scenario.

As an LL, this seems like a nightmare; your probability of success in collecting on a property insurance claim is in question (i.e. damage was the direct result of a negligent and intentional act), and your tenant certainly won't be able to cover the damage if it is severe.

I acknowledge negligence alone is not a reason to void a claim (eg. most collisions and home insurance claims are the result of negligence of some form) and malice is hard to prove; but intentionally disabling the heat in winter is definitely approaching that bar.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    The crazy part is this tenant is by far the most educated ive had by far. As far as profit loss goes you got a point no doubt but thats not the case for all, like i said its not for everyone and some will lose their asses but for me ive been lucky and had some good tenants for the most part(longest was 10.5 years not 1 issue and this lady on paper looked like shit, divorce with no credit and debt).
    Book smart != Life Smart.

I have seen PhD's that book an appointment at crappy tire to check tire pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    wow- hope it all works out Rocket. Looks grim.

The lease we signed on our current place has us PERSONALLY liable for flood damage due to freezing as the result of negligent acts like this (eg. leaving a door open in the cold, or turning off the heat). My tenant/possessions policy wouldn't cover this. I signed the lease under protest and IIRC changed the wording to reflect intentional malice, because I don't feel like getting sued or going bankrupt over a situation like this, not that I believe I'd be so dumb as to inflict such a scenario.

As an LL, this seems like a nightmare; your probability of success in collecting on a property insurance claim is in question (i.e. damage was the direct result of a negligent and intentional act), and your tenant certainly won't be able to cover the damage if it is severe.

I acknowledge negligence alone is not a reason to void a claim (eg. most collisions and home insurance claims are the result of negligence of some form) and malice is hard to prove; but intentionally disabling the heat in winter is definitely approaching that bar.
    It doesn't matter what your lease says or would have not said, it wouldn't have be enforceable under the LTA. The tenant is liable due to negligence and it's a matter for the court.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

For the small cost I wonder why more landlords don't run a small Raspberry PI with home assistant and a few monitors. Guess renters would be grumpy about it but might be worth it for security. ~100$ setup would get you the mini server, a few zwave temperature sensors, water sensor (for leaks). Heck you could even put a small open/close sensor on the furnance filter cover to log if they ever actually change the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Book smart != Life Smart.

I have seen PhD's that book an appointment at crappy tire to check tire pressure.
    My wife is that person lol

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    It doesn't matter what your lease says or would have not said, it wouldn't have be enforceable under the LTA. The tenant is liable due to negligence and it's a matter for the court.
    Goes both ways, I cant add in bullshit things on my lease but at the end of the day it wont get me anything when it goes to court.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So… wouldn’t you still go through your rental insurance policy for repairs? Then the insurance company would go after the tenant to recover costs? If they don’t have a tenant policy, or their insurance company voids it due to being away for too long, then they’d be personally liable? I fail to see how your policy wouldn’t cover you, it’s pretty unreasonable for you to keep tabs on the coming and goings of tenants

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Rentals lol. Gift that keeps on giving.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Wi-fi thermostats and flood detectors will compensate for tenant negligence in the future.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast