Quantcast
Has anyone used a dealership to source a used car? (Porsche or others) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anyone used a dealership to source a used car? (Porsche or others)

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mind sharing your insight into why you're targeting a higher mileage Cayenne? I looked into getting a Cayenne that was outside of the warranty, but everything I've heard about them indicates maintenance is absolutely atrocious (e.g. battery drainage problems, and battery is located underneath the drivers seat).
    Almost curious to know your reasoning for a 2011-2013 Cayenne. Are you looking at the S? or higher trim? how much are they going for now a days anyway..

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Almost curious to know your reasoning for a 2011-2013 Cayenne. Are you looking at the S? or higher trim? how much are they going for now a days anyway..
    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Mind sharing your insight into why you're targeting a higher mileage Cayenne? I looked into getting a Cayenne that was outside of the warranty, but everything I've heard about them indicates maintenance is absolutely atrocious (e.g. battery drainage problems, and battery is located underneath the drivers seat).
    The Cayenne is purely an emotional decision. Always loved the interior of that car and I drove one for the first time last weekend. It was a 2011 with 166k on it (high!). I was amazed at how good the condition was with the really only notable wear being swirls on the black paint (fixable with a power polish). It was tight as a drum and drove super strong. It was actually well speced with the moving compass, vented seats and the 18 way full leather sport seats and asking for $22k. I would have probably bit, but I really don’t want a black car again. Just finding it to be boring.

Maybe it’s a form of rebelling for getting the TLX (family car?...) in my mid-20’s instead of something a bit more irresponsible. In terms of maintenance, its not too bad from an independent, and this generation of Cayennes has been quite reliable outside of a few consistant issues which are in specific models and years.

A few issues though that I am internalizing.

1. General option spec on them is poor. They nickle and dime you for everything new, therefore, many are missing “key features”. Examples, Keyless go, Radar Cruise, Ventilated Seats, etc. I looked for curiosity at some of the Infiniti FX’s from 2009 onwards and they have pretty much everything plus more. FX50 and FX35 is also an option on my list.

2. The cost generally. I have been spoiled with a lease on the TLX that was about $366/month with no-money down (0%) and big incentives. All of a sudden doing the math on putting a bunch of money down (which could be used for getting some returns in the market – TMV of money), plus budgeting about 2k a year for maintenance/repair/depreciation… the monthly cost works out to be about $580 a month if I get a one which is about 30k over 5 years. All of a sudden, the Acura RDX A-Spec that I drove on the weekend (well speced and drove very well), for a $580/mo lease seems… reasonable? I just struggle paying almost twice as much as I am right now and not getting any discounts. I probably just need to come to terms with the fact that the TLX deal was truly once in a 10 year kind of thing.

3. I also don’t drive very much, well, won’t be for the next two years. I live and work in downtown. When I move to do the whole family man gig, I am going to try to live as close in as possible (in a small shack likely! Lol), do I need a car sitting in the garage costing me ~900/mo to put on 12,000km? Maybe I should get a cheap old reliable fun car (ie.. 3rd gen GS350 AWD, 09+ FX35) until I need to drive more? But when I start a family…. Will I be able to buy the Porsche?

4. Maybe I’ll just get a lime scooter?

I’m starting to sound like a certain beyond member now.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Wow I had no idea that you could so easily get into a Cayenne...

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/10323....05%2C-114.139

But seriously...

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/10486....05%2C-114.139
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I'm a fan of the FX35/50, especially the S models which you don't see very often.

If you're comparing a used Infiniti and Porsche I would personally take the Infiniti 10/10 times.

Cost of maintenance is significantly lower, and the reliability of the FX has been solid according to the forums.
    I almost bought one but couldn't stomach the required premium fuel for my DD.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Wow I had no idea that you could so easily get into a Cayenne...

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/10323....05%2C-114.139

But seriously...

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/10486....05%2C-114.139
    Unfortunately the Hybrids are one of the ones that has had scattered issues.

And the number of cheap turbos I have seen in the prior gen is staggering, but I don't really have the same love for the older ones.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    2. The cost generally. I have been spoiled with a lease on the TLX that was about $366/month with no-money down (0%) and big incentives. All of a sudden doing the math on putting a bunch of money down (which could be used for getting some returns in the market – TMV of money), plus budgeting about 2k a year for maintenance/repair/depreciation… the monthly cost works out to be about $580 a month if I get a one which is about 30k over 5 years. All of a sudden, the Acura RDX A-Spec that I drove on the weekend (well speced and drove very well), for a $580/mo lease seems… reasonable? I just struggle paying almost twice as much as I am right now and not getting any discounts. I probably just need to come to terms with the fact that the TLX deal was truly once in a 10 year kind of thing.
    I struggled with the same thing.... and I'm picking up my new RDX A-Spec tomorrow. I negotiated them pretty hard and ended up about 3% over invoice on a new 2020. Let me know if you want more details.

And yes that TLX lease deal was pretty insane. When I started shopping I couldn't even get into a 2.0T Sport Accord for a similar price. Like others said in the Recession Deal thread lease deals have dried up considerably.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    I struggled with the same thing.... and I'm picking up my new RDX A-Spec tomorrow. I negotiated them pretty hard and ended up about 3% over invoice on a new 2020. Let me know if you want more details.

And yes that TLX lease deal was pretty insane. When I started shopping I couldn't even get into a 2.0T Sport Accord for a similar price. Like others said in the Recession Deal thread lease deals have dried up considerably.
    I’m curious, how did you know it was 3% specifically over invoice. Did they show the invoice?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think we've all been hurt too many time by the NE budget baller who had his cousin fix up the car.

Back when I was looking for my fit, I was out in the "real" NE looking at a pretty blue one. Turns out it was salvage, and yep, his cousin is a "registered" mechanic who did all the repairs. You can see the paint drips where they resprayed, and oh yeah, they haven't passed the salvage inspection yet, so that's up to the buyer. Sigh. So glad I found the current car from a true beyond baller, it's been great.
    I've bought about 6 vehicles in the last 10 years (private) and never have I bought in the NE - for exactly these reasons. I did look at one, once, but I ended up not buying. |

So many people are all about cosmetic mods without doing the basic maintenance and mechanical work required for upkeep.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by NRGie View Post
    I’m curious, how did you know it was 3% specifically over invoice. Did they show the invoice?
    Invoice price according to Car Cost Canada.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Invoice price according to Car Cost Canada.
    Anyone know how accurate these reports actually are?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Now its changed to Unhaggle.. and its free which is nice. Also gives you the option of having a dealer call you that will hopefully be willing to move on the price.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Now its changed to Unhaggle.. and its free which is nice. Also gives you the option of having a dealer call you that will hopefully be willing to move on the price.
    I just checked it out, it’s amazing. Makes you jump through a couple hoops which is understandable because they need to monetize it somehow. Thanks for bringing this up though!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by NRGie View Post
    Anyone know how accurate these reports actually are?
    Not to hijack this thread but I think they're somewhat accurate.

From what I've read dealers still get many other potential manufacturer kickbacks/rebates and the real cost is still slightly lower then these reports state. Unless you get a dealer GM on records stating otherwise who knows.

But they do work as a good starting point. Add in some profit (2%-5%) and get er' done.

From what I've read dealers still get many other potential manufacturer kickbacks/rebates and the real cost is still slightly lower then these reports state.
    you are correct. When I worked for GM, they would do those Employee pricing sales. Technically it was the invoice price, and funny enough a random customer could pay less than the employee as the dealer charged $250 over invoice for employees at any time. But they would get a incentive from GM, which is where they made their money on those sales. It may vary by dealer/MFG, but ours was based on each unit, and changes by volume of total sold during the sale.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

From what I've read dealers still get many other potential manufacturer kickbacks/rebates and the real cost is still slightly lower then these reports state. Unless you get a dealer GM on records stating otherwise who knows.

But they do work as a good starting point. Add in some profit (2%-5%) and get er' done.
    I have access to Honda/Acura dealer costs and it was spot on when I priced an Acura RDX A-Spec on unhaggle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2