Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym equipment

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's crazy.

You should aim for a buck a pound. 2 bucks is premium
    For sure. Hence asking above haha. I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    I don't think I could ever go back to a gym ever again... not because of costs, but because I'm grossed out by everything you have to share/ touch in there...I still remember all the people that just leave their sweat on machines.
    Thats just a silly line of thinking. I've been going to gyms on and off since the early 90s and not once has that ever crossed my mind as a reason to not go. Mind you I will wipe if the bench is soaking or I've left an obvious mark of sweat behind.

The skin is a fantastic flexible barrier. People are far too timid now a days. In fact sweat might actually help ward off bugs from equipment.

https://www.insider.com/does-sweat-c...ms-and-viruses

Wash your hands, shower and there are zero issues - unless you're licking the bench.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-12-2020 at 07:10 PM.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    For sure. Hence asking above haha. I'm sure I'll find something eventually.
    It's gonna be a while. Most manufacturing for these are in China.

There is some major gouging going on across North America on gym equipment. Best bet is to order something that will ship when it comes in stock. It's almost tempting to sell everything I just bought new recently for profit, but I would rather keep it.

Most dumbbells are $4/lb used right now or higher, and most of the time they are not the nice ones.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    It's gonna be a while. Most manufacturing for these are in China.

There is some major gouging going on across North America on gym equipment. Best bet is to order something that will ship when it comes in stock. It's almost tempting to sell everything I just bought new recently for profit, but I would rather keep it.

Most dumbbells are $4/lb used right now or higher, and most of the time they are not the nice ones.
    I'm lucky to have a 100lbs of old plastic covered weights. But I went to look at bars and good lord.. $300 for an olympic bar.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    I'm lucky to have a 100lbs of old plastic covered weights. But I went to look at bars and good lord.. $300 for an olympic bar.
    $300 is pretty reasonable for an olympic bar depending on the quality. Olympic bars can range $300 to over $1k for higher end. Quite a bit more to get wrong when manufacturing an olympic bar. The good olympic barbells are made in Canada and the US. Dumbbells are mainly manufactured in China.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

$300 is pretty reasonable for an olympic bar depending on the quality. Olympic bars can range $300 to over $1k for higher end. Quite a bit more to get wrong when manufacturing an olympic bar. The good olympic barbells are made in Canada and the US. Dumbbells are mainly manufactured in China.
    Yeah the one I'm looking at is made here in Calgary. I'll probably be picking one up regardless as I'll be needing one.

My Ride

Yeah the one I'm looking at is made here in Calgary. I'll probably be picking one up regardless as I'll be needing one.
    You must mean the Bells of Steel bar. I don't know that it is made in Calgary?

I have their bar. It's been good so far.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You must mean the Bells of Steel bar. I don't know that it is made in Calgary?

I have their bar. It's been good so far.
    Different company https://yycweights.com/

Not sure what their quality is but I inquired.

My Ride

Different company https://yycweights.com/

Not sure what their quality is but I inquired.
    Hmm, thanks for the link. Interesting, but they are charging $285 for an olympic bar with no knurling, basically a smooth steel bar. The Bells of Steel barenaked power bar is $300, not in stock right now, but comes with full knurling and at least a warranty.

Just be careful with a company that just popped up to take advantage of a shortfall in equipment. They are charging nearly the same prices as current established manufacturers, with no knurling, no returns (according to their website), and "approximate" weights in their plates. I mean, the plates could do in a pinch.

THey seem ok for dumbbells, but again pricing is that of existing manufacturers. I would wait on stock.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Hmm, thanks for the link. Interesting, but they are charging $285 for an olympic bar with no knurling, basically a smooth steel bar. The Bells of Steel barenaked power bar is $300, not in stock right now, but comes with full knurling and at least a warranty.

Just be careful with a company that just popped up to take advantage of a shortfall in equipment. They are charging nearly the same prices as current established manufacturers, with no knurling, no returns (according to their website), and "approximate" weights in their plates. I mean, the plates could do in a pinch.

THey seem ok for dumbbells, but again pricing is that of existing manufacturers. I would wait on stock.
    Oh absolutely. I sent them an email to ask what type of testing they have done. This isn't something I'm willing to risk my life with LOL.

Has anyone heard of hyper fitness (https://www.hyperfitness.ca/)? I wonder how their material quality are cause the price for packages seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by phubu View Post
    Has anyone heard of hyper fitness (https://www.hyperfitness.ca/)? I wonder how their material quality are cause the price for packages seems reasonable.
    no experience with their products yet, but i am in contact with them. They notified me when they had stock for back order, but fucking outlook put it in my junk mail and i missed it. Hope i can get it on their next container as reviews look really good.

These guys look like they were/ are a machine shop and are manufacturing their own materials.
    They likely have zero testing for their bars.... as far as weights go, well a plate is a plate.

They popped up here in 2020.

Edit: Just read some of their descriptions, they're literally a fly by night operation... Buyer beware.

Hyper fitness is just selling kits straight from China.
    They're decent for what they are, but overpriced (in my eyes) for the quality you'll be getting.
    Last edited by vengie; 04-13-2020 at 11:50 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Don't know how I'd feel about an olympic 7' bar for $125.

My Ride
    This and that.

Have you guys been seeing ads on Instagram about those dumbbell weight sets similar to Bowflex ones which gives you multiple weight options in a compact setup for $80 or so? Is that legit? Compared to Bowflex's $500 or so, seems like too good to be true.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    They likely have zero testing for their bars.... as far as weights go, well a plate is a plate.
    In most cases I agree. But there are variations in weight tolerance. For that price I would want a tighter variation. For close to what you are paying them you can get a set of calibrated plates from StrongArm sport. Those plates should be $1 to $1.50 a pound tops.

Also, I wouldn't be worried about the bar breaking unless you are doing some serious weight. Let's put it this way, I think they are saying it's a 25.4mm bar (1"), with no knurling for nearly $300, that's probably going to have a lot of whip I bet. Typical powerlifting bar is 28.5 mm diameter, with knurling and 190,000 psi or stronger bar. There are variations from there. I just don't see the value being there with that bar.

If you read that page About us, they started this because people couldn't get equipment. It's nice, and I understand this gentleman is hand making most of this stuff, but they are charging more than retail of other established brands. Unless you absolutely need equipment now, I would not buy from them.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've got a set of Powerblock Sport 5-50 that I would consider trading for one of the lightweight sets. I don't use much past 35 pounds.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Have you guys been seeing ads on Instagram about those dumbbell weight sets similar to Bowflex ones which gives you multiple weight options in a compact setup for $80 or so? Is that legit? Compared to Bowflex's $500 or so, seems like too good to be true.
    Almost certainly fake. After looking at a few sites for some I'm getting a ton of ads on all social media for them. Almost every single site was registered in the last couple months.

They'll make a site, advertise a cheap price, sell a bunch and never ship (or ship a empty box so there's a tracking number), then shutdown and disappear before you can do a chargeback.

They have stock now for pre order, delivery in July. Just ordered a rack with the bench upgrade, came out to just under $1300 with taxes and with pickup in calgary

Anyone have any recommendations on some floor mats for a home gym for under and around a squat rack? Will be covering a carpeted area if that makes any difference

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast