Quantcast
Cenovus... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cenovus...

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Cenovus...

Anyone care to make any predictions of how low this stock is going to drop. We have a bunch of it but not sure if we should pull out now or just wait it out.

My Ride
    Exploded.

How bad is your drop from your original investment, % wise?
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

I averaged down today lol.

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.fool.ca/2017/06/21/cenov...should-you-do/

Buy more!

Really depends your exposure to risk. If you need the $, sell. If you don't need the $ (which is rule #1 of investing), let it ride. If you got extra $, cost average it and buy more.

There is no telling how energy stock will do.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-22-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Its going to see 8s. it may see 7s.

I dumped all mine at 12.9x but I had only bought 10g worth and maybe only lost $1200. My wife hung on to hers and is riding it all the way down (she went in at 13.80).

My opinion is if you have ridden it this low, there is not too much point selling now IMO but it's your call. Your only real questions are:

1) is it going belly up (unlikely)
    2) is it never recovering (possible, but unlikely as well. it was a solid company prior to thier shitty deal no one liked..... however, thx to that shitty deal it may have just turned this company into a recipe for a great buy to double down on. keep waiting for it to turn around imo, or at least for thier to be some good news).
    3) when will it start to recover (you'd think within a year it'd be higher than it is now. possibly by the end of summer it might be doing ok. we'll see what oil does, but not too many people think oil is going to stay this low forever)
    4) Are there better opportunities with your money (if you know of something that is almost a sure bet, you might want to take your loss and switch. if you can't think of anything that seems like it has better potential then you might as well hold. at least there is a 2% dividend).

As far as I am concerned cve at $9 is probably a pretty smart play so why sell at that unless you just bought it and are barely losing anything by selling? Yes, I can pretty much guarantee its going lower, but I think if you hold on to it for 12 months you'll be thanking yourself you didn't sell at $9. If anything else of mine takes off and I sell out, i'm likely to re-enter CVE.

Oil is headed for the same fate as coal. It's overproduced/outdated tech and the price/barrel is headed for the single digits. Sell it all. Long live TSLA and SCO.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

I was talking to my co-worker and we have been joking that since CVE lost so much value conoco will buy back the whole company outright

Quote Originally Posted by RedDawn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oil is headed for the same fate as coal. It's overproduced/outdated tech and the price/barrel is headed for the single digits. Sell it all. Long live TSLA and SCO.
    yes, coal and oil literally have no other uses besides powering your truck/battleship/steam engine

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat View Post
    I was talking to my co-worker and we have been joking that since CVE lost so much value conoco will buy back the whole company outright

Lol'd

Another unlikely scenario is Encana and Cenovus combining back rofl
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    yes, coal and oil literally have no other uses besides powering your truck/battleship/steam engine
    With the lowest cost of extraction, Saudi Arabia will be able to meet whatever meager demand remains for non-transit purposes. 70% of oil demand is for transit and the decline to 0% has already begun. No economic feasibility for Cenovus's expensive SAGD techniques anymore. Calgary had our time and the party is over.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

The ACB is around 19k - my wife works there so I guess at some point they changed their RRSP contribution to all shares, which to be honest I guess saves them a tonne of cash but its pretty shit for the employees. I cant imagine it getting back up to $20 a share anytime soon. Even after they sell these assets and get a new CEO I am not sure if the share holder confidence will be there to bring it up again. Are any oil producers in Calgary doing well inregards to their share prices?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

With the lowest cost of extraction, Saudi Arabia will be able to meet whatever meager demand remains for non-transit purposes. 70% of oil demand is for transit and the decline to 0% has already begun. No economic feasibility for Cenovus's expensive SAGD techniques anymore. Calgary had our time and the party is over.
    So was it hard to catch and train your unicorn? I bet the leprechaun at the end of the rainbow helped you out.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

70% of oil demand is for transit
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

https://www.iea.org/oilmarketreport/omrpublic/

Weird. Seems oil use worldwide has continually grown forever and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Are we going to see $100/barrel oil again? I doubt it. But the worldwide economy also hasn't hit its stride like it was doing in 2002-2007, it may never again as China's boom is petering out. If another recession hits and the dead weight is allowed to actually die off, we may see a boom again. Point is, oil is here to stay for another 20-30 years easily, and arguably as China and India continue their pace of growth, it won't be slowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    https://www.iea.org/oilmarketreport/omrpublic/

Weird. Seems oil use worldwide has continually grown forever and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Are we going to see $100/barrel oil again? I doubt it. But the worldwide economy also hasn't hit its stride like it was doing in 2002-2007, it may never again as China's boom is petering out. If another recession hits and the dead weight is allowed to actually die off, we may see a boom again. Point is, oil is here to stay for another 20-30 years easily, and arguably as China and India continue their pace of growth, it won't be slowing down.
    The other factor thing is as these economies mature, other ones will grow and will need the cheapest energy source available to them. Vicious cycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    The ACB is around 19k - my wife works there so I guess at some point they changed their RRSP contribution to all shares, which to be honest I guess saves them a tonne of cash but its pretty shit for the employees. I cant imagine it getting back up to $20 a share anytime soon. Even after they sell these assets and get a new CEO I am not sure if the share holder confidence will be there to bring it up again. Are any oil producers in Calgary doing well inregards to their share prices?
    Frankly it's really dumb of the employees not to periodically be selling out of their stock position. I've been in the same situation in the past and I would sell off every 6 months or so and reinvest in ETF's in order to limit exposure. Straight up bananas to allow your RRSP to remain invested in the shares of a single company.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    Frankly it's really dumb of the employees not to periodically be selling out of their stock position. I've been in the same situation in the past and I would sell off every 6 months or so and reinvest in ETF's in order to limit exposure. Straight up bananas to allow your RRSP to remain invested in the shares of a single company.
    Most people who RRSP match have zero idea what is actually happening though lol

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ickyflex View Post
    The other factor thing is as these economies mature, other ones will grow and will need the cheapest energy source available to them. Vicious cycle
    I completely agree. Nobody ever talks about Africa which blows my mind. There are 1.2 billion people in Africa. Most are dirt poor countries that barely have electricity available 100% of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._GDP_(nominal)

Where are these people going to get power from? The absolute cheapest source possible. Until renewable matches the cost of coal and oil, its a non-starter for billions of people worldwide. These people, whom many are starving or ravaged by war, don't have a choice in their energy requirements. They need as much power, as cheaply as possible, just as we did at one point. And their populations are booming compared to ours.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    click for larger version

click for larger version

You do realize that:

1. That graph is transportation as a % of total ENERGY consumption (including electric public transit trains etc.)) and not transportation as a % of total Fossil Fuel consumption.

2. The Military's (Air Force, Navy, Army etc) massive global fleet of oil consuming toys (ships, cargo planes, fighter jets, helicopters, tanks, APCs, hummers, jeeps, UAVs etc.) are not included in the transportation sector. The US Military is the largest consumer of oil in the world. “The Army calculated that it would burn 40 million gallons of fuel in three weeks of combat in Iraq, an amount equivalent to the gasoline consumed by all Allied armies combined during the four years of World War I.”

3. Other agencies with large land,air,sea fleets (Coast Guard, Border Patrol, NASA, CIA, FBI, DEA, Forestry, Local Law Enforcement, Garbage trucks etc) are also not included in the transportation sector.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You do realize that as much as you love Elon, electric isn't a factor yet in the grand scheme of things. From the same report:

Name:  transportation_by_fuel-large.jpg
Views: 1957
Size:  85.2 KB

Not even big enough to have it's own classification. Grouped in others with a bunch of other oil products. And that's just in the comfort of your first world neighborhood and first world bubble. If you think there's any electric use in 3rd world countries where they don't even have reliable electric distribution, you're out of your mind.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast