Quantcast
shipping to Europe is insane - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: shipping to Europe is insane

My Ride
    ute

Default shipping to Europe is insane

Am I doing something wrong?

I was going to ship some motorcycle gear back to Chromeburner in the Netherlands (wrong size). The box is 44x30x30cm and weighs only about 7 lbs.

The CHEAPEST I can find is plain old CP at $150 or something. Almost everything else comes in at $250 up to $500. Wtf?

I never ship shit to the EU, so I have no idea if this is normal? They sent me the stuff basically within a few days coming this direction (with no shipping costs!) through fedex.

What am I missing?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Does that include customs clearance / taxes?

Have you checked with Canada Post (no idea if it would be cheaper but I've often found government services to be the cheapest, even if the least convenient).

My experience is that sometimes it's not much more to fly return to a place than it is to ship a box (unless you're a corporate client).

My Ride
    4x4

https://chitchats.com/pricing

try these guys, found them on rfd, know a few people who use them for most shipping needs.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Cause covid
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Tried DHL?

They willing to give you a return label through their logistics network? Presumably they pay a lot less than consumer rates.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    https://chitchats.com/pricing

try these guys, found them on rfd, know a few people who use them for most shipping needs.
    Yeah chit chats (via ascendia) makes for cheaper Europe shipping but I’m not sure if there is a size / weight limit.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

i normally go thru ParcelMonkey to send stuff to the UK and it used to be reasonable...haven't tried since Covid though

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Tried DHL?

They willing to give you a return label through their logistics network? Presumably they pay a lot less than consumer rates.
    DHL quoted... $4,209. I'm not joking.

Also, I'm going to ask them about using them. If you spend $400 with them, they give you free shipping anywhere in the world. They must get it for a fraction of the price.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

How much is it to fly to the netherlands? Weekend trip?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Yeah chit chats (via ascendia) makes for cheaper Europe shipping but I’m not sure if there is a size / weight limit.
    ok, now we're talking.

$91 for chitchats.

Because my google is broken, I have no idea what chitchats is, but I now have an account. But...wtf is Chitchats? lol

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

It's normal. They calculate the rate based on volumetric weight or actual weight, whichever is higher. For the box you are using, they are considering it a ~8kg package and charging you as such. ~$200 sounds about right.

You can try to bring it to a UPS store. They are usually locally owned franchises and have their own shipping discounts (say 50% off list price). Sometimes they are willing to offer you a shipping discount, say 30%, to get your business. For sure the one up the center street bridge will very likely offer it if you ask... they always do whenever I go in. Don't quote me on the % though as I've never taken up on their offer since we have our own UPS account/rate.

Your supplier definitly have a significant discount on their rates. Many years ago, back when we were shipping more direct to customer orders, we get ~65% off list price with UPS and Fedex by shipping on average 30 international packages a week.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 01-19-2022 at 10:05 AM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    ok, now we're talking.

$91 for chitchats.

Because my google is broken, I have no idea what chitchats is, but I now have an account. But...wtf is Chitchats? lol
    There's 2 or 3 locations in the city. Their business model is basically they drive your packages down to Montana and mail them in the US. Depending on the weight they charge per package. For my <1lb stuff its 80 cents per package. Thats all for them to drive it down south and clear US customs and mail it USPS. It's ridiculously cheap because they do thousands of packages a day and just do one big load. It's similar to DYKPost except chitchats operates in a bunch of Canadian cities and is less of a mess than DYK Post. (Though DYK Post is the only one that imports to Canada, so still a necessity. Sadly.)

Just give them a call or bring your box to one of their locations and they can probably help you out with printing the label if needed.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 01-19-2022 at 10:44 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    It's normal. They calculate the rate based on volumetric weight or actual weight, whichever is higher. For the box you are using, they are considering it a ~8kg package and charging you as such. ~$200 sounds about right.

You can try to bring it to a UPS store. They are usually locally owned franchises and have their own shipping discounts (say 50% off list price). Sometimes they are willing to offer you a shipping discount, say 30%, to get your business. For sure the one up the center street bridge will very likely offer it if you ask... they always do whenever I go in. Don't quote me on the % though as I've never taken up on their offer since we have our own UPS account/rate.

Your supplier definitly have a significant discount on their rates. Many years ago, back when we were shipping more direct to customer orders, we get ~65% off list price with UPS and Fedex by shipping on average 30 international packages a week.
    Chromeburner offered to send me a fedex return label. Just getting the price on this now.

This has been a big TIL...lol