Quantcast
Chernobyl (HBO MINI SERIES) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl (HBO MINI SERIES)

My Ride
    Eclipse

Default Chernobyl (HBO MINI SERIES)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/

Anyone else seen this? Saw 3 episodes of the 5 last night, and wow I couldn't stop watching.

Really well done, A+++ Really happy they filmed it in English instead..

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...

Was speaking to my dad and I guess in 1986 they were told to drink some sort of fluids in Poland since the big cloud from the explosion was coming towards Poland. Pretty crazy

Edit: Just checked only 738KM to Krakow from Chernobyl I thought it was over 1,000KM
    Last edited by Kobe; 06-04-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Great show, I was hooked after the first 30 minutes

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

We'll use bio-robots

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Really well done series.

Any good documentaries out there with more current updates?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

KRyn recommended the accompanying podcast from HBO in the other thread. Definitely check it out. They're equally as fascinating and expands on details they couldn't fit into the show.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I've always been fascinated by that disaster. I've got it on my to-watch list.

My Ride
    WK2

Just have one more episode left to watch. It's been a great show. I would have been okay if they spoke Ukrainian and Russian, and did subtitles - kind of how Narco's is done. I feel it would have added to the authenticity.

Watched the first episode of this, seems pretty well done. Crazy how the manager guy or whatever he was kept telling his employees they were delusional, reported to his bosses that the radiation level was 3.6 (when that was the device maximum) and knowingly sent more and more people to their death. I assume all this is pretty close to the truth.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watched the first episode of this, seems pretty well done. Crazy how the manager guy or whatever he was kept telling his employees they were delusional, reported to his bosses that the radiation level was 3.6 (when that was the device maximum) and knowingly sent more and more people to their death. I assume all this is pretty close to the truth.
    Episode 5 explains their reasoning too. You guys really gotta check out the podcast. Like 90% of the stuff they show has some level of truth to it. The creator/writer even mentions one of the three head guys of the plant, Fomin, had no formal chemical/nuclear background. He essentially got his degree through a mail order process as he climbed the ranks.

My Ride
    Grimace

Episode 5 was awesome.

Really good show, would recommend to anyone.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:38 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    This gallery is one of the best archives of the complete Chernobyl story in photos: https://imgur.com/a/TwY6q
    Good stuff, thanks. There is a video of the helicopter crash. It's still hard to believe what went on at the time.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

How can I watch this without Crave? I don't think I'm sub'd to HBO on my normal home service either...

This series is right up my alley. I've done quite a bit of research into Chernobyl and the disaster. Very interested in watching this. Heard from many people that it's awesome.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    How can I watch this without Crave? I don't think I'm sub'd to HBO on my normal home service either...

This series is right up my alley. I've done quite a bit of research into Chernobyl and the disaster. Very interested in watching this. Heard from many people that it's awesome.
    I really do hate using other sources but if you make a post in Ask leo I'm sure people will be able to help you out.

Netflix/Amazon prime don't have it

Podcasts can be found here though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ

I haven't listened to them yet, so not sure if it will be a spoiler or if you should watch the show first.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    I really do hate using other sources but if you make a post in Ask leo I'm sure people will be able to help you out.

Netflix/Amazon prime don't have it

Podcasts can be found here though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ

I haven't listened to them yet, so not sure if it will be a spoiler or if you should watch the show first.
    I haven't watched more than a few minutes of Chernobyl yet (it's in the queue), but from what I've read about the podcasts, they include a bunch of details that couldn't be fit into the series and put a nice bow on things, so probably best for after watching...

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Each podcast talks about one specific episode. So after you watch Episode 1, you should listen to the first podcast and so on.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

where can one watch it who doesn't have cable?

Best series this year IMO. If Skarsgård deserves accolades then Jared Harris deserves them x2 IMO. Harris has been such a prolific actor too, and been in so many great productions as of late. This, The Expanse, The Crown, etc. Stellan has been a favorite actor of mine all the way back to The Hunt for Red October as well. Voices from Chernobyl is a great book on the subject, some of the HBO production is based on this. If anyone has a source for Valery Legasov's writings/recordings, I'd love to read them too. A true hero of not just his country (USSR), but the entire world IMO.

01RedDx, I didn't realize you were from Moldova, I stayed in Odessa back in 2008 which isn't far, it was my second trip into Ukraine and Russia, flew the Mig29 there that year, when there with a guy I worked with in Jordan who was Russian but was part Ukrainian and knew the area, language, and people well. Love it there. Must have been spooky as hell during the reactor incident. You should read the review from "The New Yorker", trying to poke large holes in this show - I'll take reviews and info from guys like you who lived there and lived it over some overpaid hack anytime.

There isn't enough superlatives to describe this series, HBO has really outdone themselves. The Deadwood TV film was good, this is great.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 06-06-2019 at 09:28 PM.

My Ride
    Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Amazing series, a very faithful account of the actual events, right down to most actors resembling the actual people involved and the way they captured that time period. I was a little kid in Moldova at the time, 700 km to the south and I distinctly remember adults telling kids to run inside every time it rained and seeing strange black residue on cars after a rain shower. Not sure if the winds actually went toward Moldova at any time, may just have been the general paranoia at the time. But just seeing this excellent reenactment of the event, the setting, the vehicles, even the way people looked, definitely brought me back to that time period. I really hope Stellan Skarsgard gets an Emmy for this.

This gallery is one of the best archives of the complete Chernobyl story in photos: https://imgur.com/a/TwY6q
    That is quite the set of photos. Interesting to see more about what actually happened. I'm going to have to start this show on the weekend.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast