Thread: The Summer Tire Review thread

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Size Tested: 215/45R18
    Vehicle: 2009 Mazda 3 2.0L
    Amount of Km's Tested: 16000km est.

TireRack.com:
    The Potenza RE050A is a Max Performance Summer tire designed to complement the performance of sports cars, sports coupes and sport sedans. While the Potenza RE050 is used as Original Equipment on the supercharged Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG sedan, a Potenza RE050A Scuderia version is used on the 12-cylinder Enzo Ferrari supercar, and a Run Flat version is used on the BMW Z4 sports cars and 5-Series sedans. The Potenza RE050A was developed to provide good traction along with responsive and predictable dry and wet road handling. It is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. On the outside, the Potenza RE050A features a high grip tread compound molded into an asymmetric tread design. A continuous center rib, large tread blocks and stable shoulder elements provide responsive handling, high-speed stability and traction on dry roads, while circumferential and lateral tread grooves are aimed to pump water out from under the tire's footprint to minimize hydroplaning and aid wet traction. A continuous circumferential rib adjacent to the inside shoulder blocks enhances wear quality to help reduce noise throughout the life of the tire, especially on cars with alignment settings that specify negative camber. Internally, the Potenza RE050A features twin steel belts reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon to stabilize the tread area and enhance handling, high speed capability and ride quality while minimizing weight. The fabric cord body and hard rubber sidewall filler help blend uniform ride quality with steering response and lateral stability.

Tommy's quick and blunt review:

What a waist of money. I have never had a tire wear out on me so quickly before. I have only put 16000kms on these have have warn them down to nothing. Yeah, they were grippy (kinda), but for owning a 130HP car rolling in rush hour, I was expecting a LOT better wear than that. And at $230 - $260 per tire, I would never touch them again.

Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    POS

Originally posted by v2kai
    Full Review here.
    FULL SCALE IMAGE

MY REVIEW
    These tires are simply the best tires i've ever owned. Still quite new, so treadwear is still to be proven. They have the same treadwear rating as the Falken 512's however my Falken's were gone in under one season, hopefully these are better. ( Falken wear was under normal driving no burnouts or much crazy stuff at all...quite disappointing, cool looking tread though. ) Cornering and handling in wet and dry conditions are everything they say the tire would be and much more than i expected. Huge improvements in grip, cool tread and around the same pricing as the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's. Strong sidewalls, acceptable road noise and now i can rip around corners like i never thought my car could. Great buy, I would highly recommend them and will continue to purchase these tires.

i have the same tires but it's not as good as i thought. personally, i think 712 give me more response(but rougher ride on 712 at the same time). my tires is approx 600 Km and i'm trying all different air pressure to see if it make any difference.

On the other hand, i do completely agree on the 512 wear out faster than they are rated at and i don't even consider myself as a aggressive driver. not sure it's all Falken or just 512 having this issue?
    For Rent: 1000 sq apartment located in Downtown. available immediately. Pls PM me for further detail

Pm for detail

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

wow this three year old thread is resurrected from the dead.

Good thread though.

I have been running SPT's on our Legacy for 3 summers now. Great tires.

My Ride
    *The First*

Bump...
    Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2.
    Dumbest name for a tire ever. Most wonderful and noticeably improved over OEM Tire I've ever owned.
    Gen-3 Lexus RX350.
    Got them on a blowout price from Tire Rack due to old stock. Regular Price is something ludicrous like $400+ each.
    Only lasted 30,000 km until wear bars... Heartbreaker.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bump...
    Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2.
    Dumbest name for a tire ever. Most wonderful and noticeably improved over OEM Tire I've ever owned.
    Gen-3 Lexus RX350.
    Got them on a blowout price from Tire Rack due to old stock. Regular Price is something ludicrous like $400+ each.
    Only lasted 30,000 km until wear bars... Heartbreaker.
    God damn I wish my tires would last 30k.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Anyone run Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's? Look decent and I can get them in my sizing I need dirt cheap
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    God damn I wish my tires would last 30k.
    LoL, I don't think I got that from my G-Force R1's either but I still should've expected more like 50,000km from these. UTQG rating of 220. I think it's the only tire Hankook makes that has no warranty, either.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Anyone run Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's? Look decent and I can get them in my sizing I need dirt cheap
    Very good street tires and good value, not good for auto x or road course use though.

My Ride
    V8s

Do it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Is there anything else that's really better than Michelin these days? I had PS4S on my last car and it checks all the boxes aside from price. Huge grip, works in wide variety of temperatures, and long tread life. I've also switched to AS4's on the wagon and they're just as grippy as my P-Zero RFTs on the E53 in anything under 30C. Even quieter than the PS4S, and at 25k the tread barely shows signs of wear. Bonus is I can switch to winters later and back on to these earlier because it's usable on light snow as well.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I loved my PS4S, have always had a desire to run cups for some reason but I have no rational basis for that.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I loved my PS4S, have always had a desire to run cups for some reason but I have no rational basis for that.
    I used to daily drive with R compounds. I mean if you have the means to buy tires monthly, I highly recommend it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I used to daily drive with R compounds. I mean if you have the means to buy tires monthly, I highly recommend it.
    Probably fine for a car that only sees 5-10k a year and you plan on replacing seasonally.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I've had the Indy 500's on my GTI and Fiesta. They are OKAY for the price but don't expect them to be on the same level as top tier tires.

Also, they have been surpassed by the FK510 and G-MAX RS. Just get whichever is cheapest in your size.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=235

My Ride
    WRX 265

I put a new set of these on for the summer. Initial feel is great! Hope to get a few more Km's out of these than my RE71R's. @tirebob hooked me up, as always, a great experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2