Quantcast
Beyond Members Careers - Page 45 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond Members Careers

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Camosun and Langara both have special bridge programs from tech diplomas like BCIT into University engineering programs. It was fairly popular for BCIT students before they were accredited.

I'm actually getting killed in Math right now. This is just an example from my worksheet today, I personally find it challenging, but then again I don't really know if it is equivalent to 1st year engineering or not.

Attachment 85571

I'd agree that the UBC degree is more valuable

The only thing is it will set me back another year... even if I failed something this term forcing me to add another year, it is already too late to apply for this Fall from UBC and I'd have to wait until 2020.
    Pretty sure that kinda stuff was 2nd sem in first year, or sometime in 2nd year for my degree. That's certainly not intro calculus (which was the same thing I took in grade 12 basically).

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah I was a bit shocked, but 5% here and there adds up. I considered day trading when I first got laid off, but I found it really stressful and unfulfilling. Plus whenever I would get a bad stock it would really take a toll on me, it is all I would think about all day long. I don't think it would be good for my health to have to rely on an income from day trading.
    It really does add another layer of stress, which leads to poor decisions when you are relying on it for monthly income. Plus compounds bad months even more since you still need to withdrawal from the account... that was a fun year though!

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Medical professionals seem to go for dudes who makes less. I know a ton of tradesmen who are married to doctors, dentists and orthodontists.
    Haha, yup. I make good money, but my wife makes more than I do, she is a medical professional.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

For those talking about transferring, its unlikely Phreak will get much credit. NAIT and SAIT all dangle this and retarded 18-20 year olds with no clue what the real engineering program is like think they'll take engg tech programs and then just hop into 2nd year ENGG I remember one chick who was ADAMANT about doing this, and one day I was "bitch, your grades fucking suck, you have no god damn clue, I looked into this, they'd give me maybe a 1/2 year worth of credits for two years of the engg tech program, and engg tech wouldn't prepare you in the slightest for the full ENGG degree because I did the full first year".

I had a 4.0 all years of my engg tech. Whoopdee doo, ENGG was soul destroying and my grades sucked Just like Phreak, all I did was homework/study and it wrecked my life for a long time after, an actual change in my mental state.

Personally, I think Phreak is suffering from sunk cost fallacy. I don't really understand his reasoning for continuing to do the degree, especially at his age. A lot of people are being encouraging, but encouraging somebody to continue doing something that has them stressed out as balls for the next 3-4 years doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe if he wanted to open his own architectural firm or something, I get the need for the ENGG degree, but if there are jobs available for engg techs in the field, get the diploma, go work.

I think all the time about going back to University, but it would only be for something I ENJOYED, not something I was just "good at".

I'm not trying to encourage or discourage you Phreak. Just trying to lay out the options for you, wish I had someone to remotely walk me through my time at ENGG. Basically everyone said "fuck off" and the school said if I flunked courses, there was no retaking them. Haha shit, talking about it is giving me PTSD.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

JM redseal Millwright, and a farmer. I adore both, extremely happy, and the money is phenomenal. The hours with farming can be hellish during peak seasons (read: 18 hour days) but its cool to have every winter off.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    There's a guy on Beyond that worked full-time while doing his Eng degree at UofC. Mofo was/still is cray cray
    I ended up doing the same thing for my degree. Worked FT in O&G (started as a summer student and was offered a 'real' job at the end of the first summer), and got my degree taking night classes from 6-9pm. One of the best decisions I've ever made, I finished school with ~4-5yrs work experience and in my early 30's I have ~14 years experience. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of doing the same if you can swing it. Only downside is if you're already working in your field, it's even harder to be motivated about school.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-12-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I ended up doing the same thing for my degree. Worked FT in O&G (started as a summer student and was given a 'real' job very shortly after), and got my degree taking night classes from 6-9pm. One of the best decisions I've ever made, I finished school with ~4-5yrs work experience and in my early 30's I have ~15 years experience. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of doing the same if you can swing it.
    I would think those days are pretty much over with the current economy.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I would think those days are pretty much over with the current economy.
    Depends on a lot of things (the company, your connections, your field, etc.) but I agree it's probably not as easy to do now compared to ~15yrs ago. Lots of companies are still taking summer students, which is how I got my foot in the door.

I remember filling out hand written deal tickets for gas at $13.00/GJ haha.

Some companies are still thriving though, not everyone is hurting.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    For those talking about transferring, its unlikely Phreak will get much credit. NAIT and SAIT all dangle this and retarded 18-20 year olds with no clue what the real engineering program is like think they'll take engg tech programs and then just hop into 2nd year ENGG I remember one chick who was ADAMANT about doing this, and one day I was "bitch, your grades fucking suck, you have no god damn clue, I looked into this, they'd give me maybe a 1/2 year worth of credits for two years of the engg tech program, and engg tech wouldn't prepare you in the slightest for the full ENGG degree because I did the full first year".

I had a 4.0 all years of my engg tech. Whoopdee doo, ENGG was soul destroying and my grades sucked Just like Phreak, all I did was homework/study and it wrecked my life for a long time after, an actual change in my mental state.

Personally, I think Phreak is suffering from sunk cost fallacy. I don't really understand his reasoning for continuing to do the degree, especially at his age. A lot of people are being encouraging, but encouraging somebody to continue doing something that has them stressed out as balls for the next 3-4 years doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe if he wanted to open his own architectural firm or something, I get the need for the ENGG degree, but if there are jobs available for engg techs in the field, get the diploma, go work.

I think all the time about going back to University, but it would only be for something I ENJOYED, not something I was just "good at".

I'm not trying to encourage or discourage you Phreak. Just trying to lay out the options for you, wish I had someone to remotely walk me through my time at ENGG. Basically everyone said "fuck off" and the school said if I flunked courses, there was no retaking them. Haha shit, talking about it is giving me PTSD.
    To add to this point, while all have the same accreditation, I would say BCIT's program is intentionally challenging - they fully expect many to drop out after the first year. Transferring to one of the major university nets you only a few credits sparsely spread out all over, it makes no sense. If you want a degree your options are after the diploma: Camosun College Bridging program then third year UBC, Lakehead University, or stick it out at BCIT.

Like I said earlier, I would stick it out and finish the diploma and then reevaluate. You already have many years of experience in the field, just don't have the letters behind your name to back it up. The diploma itself should open those doors, most engineers unless they work mainly in design don't stamp anything anyways. If you decide you still want the degree, you can continue onwards at BCIT.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:08 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I'm actually worried about my health in this course. I might see if I can break up my second term into two years.
    I would have loved ENGG without the time crunch. If you can do it and your wife supports it, 100% do it.

My Ride
    V8s

I've never done calculus before about November last year... I am getting killed in this course.

I have a test on Monday on integrating fluid pressures on submerged irregular shaped walls and gates, determining surface areas through integration, and determining inertia of irregular shapes. Sigh
    Well, one thing is for sure... it's not going to get easier. That's not meant to discourage you, but hopefully reassure you that all the hard work you're putting in to learn calculus is absolutely going to be a benefit (requirement) in 2nd and 3rd year courses that build on it.

I remember doing that course. Always found fluids 1 harder than fluids 2, but maybe because of the prof.

Semi related. SAIT also has a partnership with the UofC to also do a tech program and then transfer directly into 3rd year with full accreditation. Fuck was I pissed when I found out about that program haha

My Ride
    Random cars

They are mandatory for the program I'm in, no choice. 4 year program. Plus our 2nd terms are way longer... UBC is out already, I've still got several weeks to go.

I went to bed at 1:30am last night... up at 5:45, so f-ing tired right now. Today I am casting high strength cylinders... and I will have my first lecture ever for Revit. In a couple of weeks I will have to be an expert in Revit, never even used it before.
    PM me for Revit help if you need.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    It really does add another layer of stress, which leads to poor decisions when you are relying on it for monthly income. Plus compounds bad months even more since you still need to withdrawal from the account... that was a fun year though!
    I really believe this has to do with Bankroll Managment, since Poker/trading is so similar in that way..

If you got say $5,000 in your account (Online and forex) your going to need 2 really crush every month and cashout)

If you have say 6 months of living expenses in your bank and another 5-10k on forex (Or whatever amount) you will feel a lot less stressed.

With that said and playing poker of course it becomes pretty stressful after like a pretty bad losing MONTH but they are rare and you need to learn it's out of your control, you need to just put in the trade volumes monthly and your ROI will even out over time.

Edit:

For stock guys you can play with this poker variance calculator you should know your roughly long-term but for example put a winrate of 2.5/100 and 20/100 (Both very possible for poker depending on game)

and then change number of hands between 1,000 or 100,000 or 1milly (Trades done)

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

This is why bankroll managment is so god damn important when trading stocks as well you can most definitely lose a lot of those 60% in your favorite trades a lot.... or 80% favorite trades..

If you don't have some money saved for life that can become pretty damn stressful.
    Last edited by Kobe; 04-13-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, I guess the biggest difference would be volume of trades. I was aiming to close one or two trades a week, but sometimes ended up having to hold them for 6 weeks + for whatever reasons. Had a good ratio of wins to losses... but having almost the whole portfolio tied up was the biggest issue for me. FX was not for me, but I could see that and poker being more similar cause each transaction is quick and either a win or a loss in the sense of double or zero, where as the market is more of a limited loss, or you keep holding for a gain. Higher cost of transaction made it tough to just do quick buy and sells... plus volume in the smaller more volatile stocks

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yeah, I guess the biggest difference would be volume of trades. I was aiming to close one or two trades a week, but sometimes ended up having to hold them for 6 weeks + for whatever reasons. Had a good ratio of wins to losses... but having almost the whole portfolio tied up was the biggest issue for me. FX was not for me, but I could see that and poker being more similar cause each transaction is quick and either a win or a loss in the sense of double or zero, where as the market is more of a limited loss, or you keep holding for a gain. Higher cost of transaction made it tough to just do quick buy and sells... plus volume in the smaller more volatile stocks
    I personally think you had to rethink your strategy if you were trading daily and "had to" hold for 6 weeks. But of course, easy to say in hindsight. I wouldn't be a daytrader unless I had 2 mill+ and would do quite a bit of volume trades.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, it was more for fun and to see what it would be like as a “job” had like 4x more just sitting in the bank and I didn’t feel like working that year. Still think you have to have something else on the go though. I would go nuts just looking at screens and charts all day alone. Better as subsidizing lifestyle than a day job. You need a social aspect to your day to day cause chances are everyone you know will be at a job anyways

My Ride
    Eclipse

Sure, but if you compare it to Headsup (Win or Lose) the buyin and a tournament where there is a 15% chance fo winning your money back + some (Or progressive knockouts) its not always win/lose you can win a bit/huge or lose all/some..

It's also going to be a minimum lose but it can be a full 100% lose as well (

You have companies like Amazon that lost 97?% at one point, another reason a SL is important for stocks.

But ya Volume is key in stocks/poker if you want to trade you need to pick lots of stocks and put smaller amounts into each one, it's a shitload of work researching as well, people think it's a lot easier then it actually is.

Thing with poker is you get used to the downswings and upswings (You learn to not splurge $$$ if you have a good day or hate life if you have a bad day) - Very similar in stocks of course they are just looking at long-term ROI's...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Got a new gig flying out of downtown Toronto this year; no more into the bush for me! Basically on demand charters for super wealthy clients to their cottages north of Toronto.

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35 44 45 46 ... LastLast