Quantcast
ExtraSlow's next career? Need suggestions and assistance - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: ExtraSlow's next career? Need suggestions and assistance

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

We dont know if hes paying for it though - thats a big assumption perhaps its a govt paid. Telus put me on something similar after I left, I mostly found it was full of obvious content that you can get for free online

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hello HiTemp. Need a hug today bro? I'm here for you man.

I wondered if someone would shit on the cost. Very handy for me Rachel and Justin and picking up the tab here. I guess they miss all the tax I used to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hello HiTemp. Need a hug today bro? I'm here for you man.

I wondered if someone would shit on the cost. Very handy for me Rachel and Justin and picking up the tab here. I guess they miss all the tax I used to pay.
    Haha, no hug required. Seems to me another thread that referenced "snowflakes" is fitting here. Some people apparently can't take the heat if things aren't worded nicely.

Hey, if the NDP overlords are going to shell out the cash for you, then you do what you gotta do. No way I'd ever pay $5k to take that sort of program. As NZWASP alluded to, it doesn't seem like it will be much help.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    So you go shit on the restaurant loan guys thread, and then jump directly over here to shit on ExtraSlows thread.

Who pissed in your cornflakes today?

(ps: it's a little ironic that you moan about me being an arrogant dickhead. might want to start taking a look at your own posts big guy.)
    Restaurant business is not a good business to be in, that is pretty clear. Spending $5k on "education" with no actual job skills value is dubious. There is a difference between being an arrogant dickhead (yourself, thinking you are better than everyone) and just telling it the way it is. I don't view what I said in any sense as talking down to them or trying to be superior (again, yourself). I was quite clear in my disagreement with their choices, and provided info as to why.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I must say though, I wonder what budget the NDP pull this out of? 100 people on this course that's half a million dollars right there.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I must say though, I wonder what budget the NDP pull this out of? 100 people on this course that's half a million dollars right there.
    Fewer than one hundred have taken it so far that's for sure. I also assume they get a discount since they are paying for multiple people.
    It's good value if it's getting people back to work. I assume the gov't funding agreement has KPIs that need to be met for future funding to be secured?

On a personal level in 2015 I paid more than 10x this fee in income taxes. In 2016 and 2017 I will pay close to zero.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Could be free for anyone who was/is getting EI: http://www.higherlanding.com/goa-funding

Contractors always get shafted
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    So you go shit on the restaurant loan guys thread, and then jump directly over here to shit on ExtraSlows thread.

Who pissed in your cornflakes today?

(ps: it's a little ironic that you moan about me being an arrogant dickhead. might want to start taking a look at your own posts big guy.)
    Don't know why more people around here haven't realized this guy provides absolutely no value to the (any) discussion here on beyond. Worthless know-it-all who is more than likely living a pretty shitty existence and is trying to make himself feel better about it by shitting on everyone else. What makes it worse is the fact that he posts absolutely everywhere.

Had him on ignore for like 2 years now, so much better, I suggest more people do the same.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

Restaurant business is not a good business to be in, that is pretty clear. Spending $5k on "education" with no actual job skills value is dubious. There is a difference between being an arrogant dickhead (yourself, thinking you are better than everyone) and just telling it the way it is. I don't view what I said in any sense as talking down to them or trying to be superior (again, yourself). I was quite clear in my disagreement with their choices, and provided info as to why.
    I wish you could see the irony in your posts, it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    Don't know why more people around here haven't realized this guy provides absolutely no value to the (any) discussion here on beyond. Worthless know-it-all who is more than likely living a pretty shitty existence and is trying to make himself feel better about it by shitting on everyone else. What makes it worse is the fact that he posts absolutely everywhere.

Had him on ignore for like 2 years now, so much better, I suggest more people do the same.
    Keeps me entertained, isn't that what the internet is all about? haha

Sorry for the derail ExtraSlow!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey, thought all my fans (and the rest of you) might enjoy a little "mid-term" update.

I'm still working through the program discussed earlier, and as HiTemp so accurately pointed out, it's still not teaching me any hard technical skills that I would put on a resume. Overall, any of the reasons that a person might have assumed would make good fodder for scorn are still accurate. This IS a program for special snowflakes. It IS totally different than any other kind of training program I've ever heard of.

So, really, what is it? Well, anyone who's been job searching in the last couple of years has probably noticed that the market is flooded. It's impossible to make yourself stand out from the crowd based on your technical skills. If you are a draftsman, there are dozens who have similar experience. if you are a reservoir engineer, ditto. So the entire point of this program is to make the person think past that, and really work to define what makes you unique at your core. Lots of lofty language like "value" and "purpose" and homework with questions similar to those annoying behavioural ones that HR people like to ask in interview. "How do you define success?" Stuff that's easy to answer fast, but extremely difficult to answer honestly.

The result is supposed to be that you understand yourself so well that you can build a compelling brand and marketing story for you that is totally unique.

I'm about halfway through this journey, and for the first two weeks, I wasn't convinced. I've recently gotten my head around what they are trying to do, and I have to say, man I GET it now. I'm really excited about how this is coming together and honestly, I feel that I'm really close to getting real clarity on this stuff, and with that, I'll be able to move forward with purpose and vision.

If you want a good example of the power of values-based marketing Simon Sinek does a very good job of explaining it in this old video.

If you "get" what he's talking about, you'd "get" this program. I'm betting that's about 50% of the beyond community.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I've recently gotten my head around what they are trying to do, and I have to say, man I GET it now. I'm really excited about how this is coming together and honestly, I feel that I'm really close to getting real clarity on this stuff, and with that, I'll be able to move forward with purpose and vision.
    Found a gif of Extra drinking the KoolAid

I do find it a bit funny though. What you've described is basically selling yourself 101. People actually do not (for the most part) give a shit about your technical skills. Sure, I had 4.0GPA in school, but at the end of the day, they hired me, not my grades. They just like the grades and or technical skills to show I'm not a retard (Beyond may debate this).

Glad to see they've pulled you out of your snowflake cocoon into a full grown triggered moth :p

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Serious question. How many people do you know that can effectively sell themselves? In my circle of business contacts it's probably five percent or less.

Also fuck you I'm a beautiful butterfly!
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 12-06-2017 at 12:17 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Serious question. How many people do you know that can effectively sell themselves? In my circle of business contacts it's probably five percent or less.

Also fuck you I'm a beautiful butterfly!

The problem is, selling yourself doesn't get you an interview. It is very catch 22 situation when it comes to applying for jobs. I've never had an interview and not been hired. But getting into the interview process is a nightmare, realistically, that is all to do with contacts. As a small business owner, I know lots of other small business owners. Privately owning a company inherently relies on selling yourself, your company is you and you are the company. For people to buy, they must want to "buy" you. So I know a lot of people who can sell themselves. But factoring in that bias, most people can't. And a lot of that can't be fixed by training.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:06 AM.

True story, 4/4 of the hires my dept made this year were because they knew someone. I even sat in on the interviews and they didn't perform that great, but they got hired. It's just how the World works.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Slightly different line of thinking but a conversation with a buddy of mine with very similar skills and experience today got me wondering.

What diploma /certificate or certification has the highest employment success rate that isn't a "hands on" trade?

Know two guys who went for MBA's and are still unemployed. Know a few who got PMP and that didn't help. Anything out there that actually increases your employability? Not just oil and gas, can be anything at any level. Must pay over $20,000 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Found a gif of Extra drinking the KoolAid

I do find it a bit funny though. What you've described is basically selling yourself 101. People actually do not (for the most part) give a shit about your technical skills. Sure, I had 4.0GPA in school, but at the end of the day, they hired me, not my grades. They just like the grades and or technical skills to show I'm not a retard (Beyond may debate this).

Glad to see they've pulled you out of your snowflake cocoon into a full grown triggered moth :p
    Dude, don’t you work for the government? Your 4.0 at some 2 year program (everyone gets 4.0 who shows up and reads) didn’t get you the job, being able to breath did...lol. Such arrogance for someone who works for the Government it is laughable. You would think that you are some great business success or technical genius with the way you talk to people on here but you are just a dime a dozen SAIT kid.

Leave the guy alone, he’s trying to better himself even though I would agree the program referenced sounds more fluff then anything. If it gives some sellability and confidence let him have it.

My Ride
    Silverado

Barrister? Or barista?

ES, I have to ask why you appear to be opposed to being in a 'hands on' type of work environment? I'm not trying to be critical of you in the least but am just truly curious.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Employment success rate for a cert? Anything from RECA! Catch is that you usually pay for your employment in some form or another... and the pay can be as low as $0

Best chance for steady pay would probably be appraiser... but the lists that you toss your name on to get that steady work usually means you’re giving up about half of what you’d make marketing yourself

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    ES, I have to ask why you appear to be opposed to being in a 'hands on' type of work environment? I'm not trying to be critical of you in the least but am just truly curious.
    I believe that hands on work is awesome and rewarding and fulfilling for the right person. I just don't think I am that person. I've always been happier and more successful directing that type of person, than pretending to be one. Maybe I'm wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast