Quantcast
Rear lane alley paving, anyone been successful lately? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Rear lane alley paving, anyone been successful lately?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you time the process so that the appeals action is open during a window of super cold winter ? (eg. 'Yes' in the fall and 'no' appeal in the winter)

Game the system.
    You definitely can.

I submitted our approval in late November (after collecting signatures in the cold) and it took the City a couple weeks to get their paperwork and shit together which came out in mid December. The appeal period fell over Christmas/New Years and the person that appealed didn't get shit all for signatures.

I wasn't gaming the system but I was trying to get it all done prior to the end of the year so we could get in the queue for the next summer. If I recall correctly the end of the year is the cutoff for the next spring/summer paving schedule.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Unpopular opinion: although I love our paved alleyway for its simplicity I do not think it was worth the cost that we paid, nor is it worth people using it as a secondary road ripping up and down it in the morning.

None of the 10 or so houses around us wanted it done but it went through anyways so the system is definitely fucked enough that its easy to con your neighbors into getting it done. When they came door to door and talked to my wife the pitch was that they could petition the city to pay for it. She figured was a stretch but this guy had a story about how all it meant is that it would be put in front of council to consider and nothing was guaranteed but it was worth a shot. I had several other neighbors confirm they got the same story. We called to start the appeal process once we got the "here is how much you're going to pay" letter, but someone else already did. Turns out it was their buddy and they filed the appeal but purposefully never went around to collect signatures so it could be pushed through. 311 said that since someone already started we had to wait for them to come by. I couldn't get any contact information for this person either so we just sat and waited. At the end of the day they paved the alley and we got the bill.

Knowing what I know now about the whole process would I support paving the back alley? Probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Silverado

People go way to fast down my brother's place alley too. He might even get one of those kids playing signs

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

People already rip up and down my dirt/gravel alley. At least if it was paved it wouldn't kick so much dust up in the air.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Unpopular opinion: although I love our paved alleyway for its simplicity I do not think it was worth the cost that we paid, nor is it worth people using it as a secondary road ripping up and down it in the morning.

None of the 10 or so houses around us wanted it done but it went through anyways so the system is definitely fucked enough that its easy to con your neighbors into getting it done. When they came door to door and talked to my wife the pitch was that they could petition the city to pay for it. She figured was a stretch but this guy had a story about how all it meant is that it would be put in front of council to consider and nothing was guaranteed but it was worth a shot. I had several other neighbors confirm they got the same story. We called to start the appeal process once we got the "here is how much you're going to pay" letter, but someone else already did. Turns out it was their buddy and they filed the appeal but purposefully never went around to collect signatures so it could be pushed through. 311 said that since someone already started we had to wait for them to come by. I couldn't get any contact information for this person either so we just sat and waited. At the end of the day they paved the alley and we got the bill.

Knowing what I know now about the whole process would I support paving the back alley? Probably not.
    Wasn't me! haha. But thats how you game the appeal system I guess.

Pretty sure you lived a couple streets down from us. And yes your alley has lots of extra usage by people cutting through it and speeding, but it also was in terrible condition when it was gravel.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Anyone had the city out for repairs? Mines fucked after building my garage and getting my gas line relocated haha

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Turns out it was their buddy and they filed the appeal but purposefully never went around to collect signatures so it could be pushed through.
    Now THATS properly gaming the system....haha

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Now THATS properly gaming the system....haha
    Sounds like we have a roadmap for getting this rammed through on ANY street.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Wasn't me! haha. But thats how you game the appeal system I guess.

Pretty sure you lived a couple streets down from us. And yes your alley has lots of extra usage by people cutting through it and speeding, but it also was in terrible condition when it was gravel.
    At first I thought this thread was about how you did this to my alley but then I remembered you were about 2 blocks away so so I bit my tongue.

It definitely seems pretty easy to game the system, I'm paying for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Reading the cost of this...
    ~$20/month increase, isn't that quite insignificant?
    What's the big deal?

Seems like a small cost for a decent benefit.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Reading the cost of this...
    ~$20/month increase, isn't that quite insignificant?
    What's the big deal?

Seems like a small cost for a decent benefit.
    All depends on your frontage, well... rearage I guess?. Mine would have been $60 a month, my neighbors entire side and rear is alley adjacent, and he would have been paying over $200 extra a month, for 15 years.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Somewhat related.. I was happy to hear today that my 311 request to re-surface our gravel lane was completed today. Only took 3+ months.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    All depends on your frontage, well... rearage I guess?. Mine would have been $60 a month, my neighbors entire side and rear is alley adjacent, and he would have been paying over $200 extra a month, for 15 years.
    Allocating the costs that way doesn't make any sense at all. Seems really strange to me. I think it would make more sense to have the total cost split evenly amongst all houses.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Allocating the costs that way doesn't make any sense at all. Seems really strange to me. I think it would make more sense to have the total cost split evenly amongst all houses.
    It would make sense that the cars closest to the middle pay the most because they need to use more length than anyone else

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Since our local government is communist, I'm surprised they don't make you pay based on your proportion of the total assess value on your block.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Its fucked up that the City doesn't reimburse for gravel lane maintenance program if the residences pay to get it paved.

Resident pay 100% to pave it, City no longer has to maintain or regrade it every year and then the City pockets those savings.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Its fucked up that the City doesn't reimburse for gravel lane maintenance program if the residences pay to get it paved.

Resident pay 100% to pave it, City no longer has to maintain or regrade it every year and then the City pockets those savings.
    Do you know if they already taken into account the gravel maintenance into the paved cost?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

And if the pavement gets damaged, the city doesn't pay to repave it, according to one family member. That seems wrong, but he swears.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Do you know if they already taken into account the gravel maintenance into the paved cost?
    I'm pretty sure they do not.

You get the paperwork and it notes the $9,999,999,99 its going to cost to pave your street, then they list each homes unit factor and thats its. I dont remember seeing any city contribution or discount for maintenance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4