Quantcast
Get ready for the bailout - Air Transat merger with Air Canada cancelled - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the bailout - Air Transat merger with Air Canada cancelled

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wait until you find out that the government owns the petroleum....
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

What you call “grants” is the government paying companies to do work they want done. Grant is an interesting word for that.

Not sure how you can’t see the difference between paying someone to do a job, sorry granting someone to do a job, and writing a blank check to air Canada to… I dunno keep their shareholders solvent?
    You mean the abandoned well cleanup the oil companies are responsible for but left the government and our tax dollars holding the bag, that job?

And there it is, “blank Cheque”, you have no idea what the deal was, you just want something to be mad at. The agreement is repayable loans and cash for shares at a discount.

I mean it’s not like oil and gas gets preferential treatment from the government already, they don’t have some silly government funded war room or anything...
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 71/454 View Post
    You mean the abandoned well cleanup the oil companies are responsible for but left the government and our tax dollars holding the bag, that job?

And there it is, “blank Cheque”, you have no idea what the deal was, you just want something to be mad at. The agreement is repayable loans and cash for shares at a discount.

I mean it’s not like oil and gas gets preferential treatment from the government already, they don’t have some silly government funded war room or anything...
    Yup that “bag” that is paid for by premiums paid by industry. That government decided to step in and accelerate, if you have a problem with that take it up with government sticking their noses where they don’t belong not the oil companies.

The issue with people like you is you think everyone wants “preferential treatment” on the gravy train, but what reasonable Canadians want is the wasteful government gravy train to end.

Want government to stop wasting money bailing out corporations? Stop voting Liberal.

And the Air Canada money is a blank cheque, a bailout for Air Canada shareholders plains and simple. If you think even a dollar of the money lent is every going to be recouped, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in. You can pay me in “grants” if you would like.

If you have issue with the “war room” you are going to have a hernia when you see how much the feds spend trying to convince businesses that Canada isn’t a shit place to do business. Which it is.

Take a break from Twitter bub
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Yup that “bag” that is paid for by premiums paid by industry. That government decided to step in and accelerate, if you have a problem with that take it up with government sticking their noses where they don’t belong not the oil companies.

The issue with people like you is you think everyone wants “preferential treatment” on the gravy train, but what reasonable Canadians want is the wasteful government gravy train to end.

Want government to stop wasting money bailing out corporations? Stop voting Liberal.

And the Air Canada money is a blank cheque, a bailout for Air Canada shareholders plains and simple. If you think even a dollar of the money lent is every going to be recouped, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in. You can pay me in “grants” if you would like.

If you have issue with the “war room” you are going to have a hernia when you see how much the feds spend trying to convince businesses that Canada isn’t a shit place to do business. Which it is.

Take a break from Twitter bub
    Thanks for posting this and showing your ignorance. I rest my case.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 71/454 View Post
    Thanks for posting this and showing your ignorance. I rest my case.
    You’re welcome, I’m sure your head couldn’t get any further up your own ass in any case.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Considering the tens of billions Alberta's given to the feds, that "fund" sure is tiny.

You have a very hard time understanding the concept of creating value, versus moving it around and destroying a little bit of value with every stroke of a pen and covering it up with every increasing taxation.
    Very nice rhetoric, but doesn't do anything to change the fact that the global, not just Canadian, airline and aerospace industry as we know it exists entirely because of government subsidization and protectionism. You don't seem to understand that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Very nice rhetoric, but doesn't do anything to change the fact that the global, not just Canadian, airline and aerospace industry as we know it exists entirely because of government subsidization and protectionism. You don't seem to understand that.
    Well I suppose if Russia or China does it there is no point in improving. Kert the progressive everyone.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-30-2021 at 04:25 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

thats why it's such a dogshit industry

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I can’t wait to apply the “if Russia or China does it” test to every other industry and regulation in this country

fact.

My Ride
    ute

You're making some very dumb arguments.

Protectionism is paid for by the consumer. It's a tax by another name.

The airline industry is dogshit. Like many dogshit businesses if foreign players want to deploy their capital into canada to realize thin margins and see small returns for their investors, then let them. We do it all the time with any number of industries.

I can’t wait to apply the “if Russia or China does it” test to every other industry and regulation in this country
    LOL you think it's China and Russia and not America

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Protectionism is paid for by the consumer. It's a tax by another name.
    Yep. But it's good for the companies. What makes you think any of this is about the consumer?

The airline industry is dogshit. Like many dogshit businesses if foreign players want to deploy their capital into canada to realize thin margins and see small returns for their investors, then let them. We do it all the time with any number of industries.
    The point is that they wouldn't need to in order to get consumer money out of Canada. When only one country has protectionism, when they drop it there is at least a chance the more nimble and better suited companies can make do and the domestic industry can survive. When everybody has protectionism and one place drops it, that's not going to happen. Just becomes a place to take money out of. Same reason every country with a dairy industry either subsidizes farmers, or limits supply: because everybody else does it.

When the U.S. drops its airline protectionism, or if the EU does, then we'll see movement on it. Until then, everybody will keep dealing with their own dogshit rather than somebody else's.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    LOL you think it's China and Russia and not America
    Are you advocating for emulating the United States?

fact.

My Ride
    ute

Yep. But it's good for the companies. What makes you think any of this is about the consumer?

The point is that they wouldn't need to in order to get consumer money out of Canada. When only one country has protectionism, when they drop it there is at least a chance the more nimble and better suited companies can make do and the domestic industry can survive. When everybody has protectionism and one place drops it, that's not going to happen. Just becomes a place to take money out of. Same reason every country with a dairy industry either subsidizes farmers, or limits supply: because everybody else does it.

When the U.S. drops its airline protectionism, or if the EU does, then we'll see movement on it. Until then, everybody will keep dealing with their own dogshit rather than somebody else's.
    Do you agree that protectionism is bad for consumers, or not. Because you are making contradictory claims in your post.

Are you advocating for emulating the United States?
    Eh it would come out in the wash. Either Canadian companies get protected to continue to service all of Canada and theoretically pay corporate taxes, or they end up getting directly subsidized to service all the routes that the American airlines wouldn't touch with a 10' pole while extracting the majority of the profits by dominating the popular routes

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Do you agree that protectionism is bad for consumers, or not. Because you are making contradictory claims in your post.
    Like any tariff, protectionism is bad for the consumer. It's why trade wars are dumb, why leaving trade blocs is dumb, etc. But you only lose a trade war when you stop fighting. The airline and aerospace industry started as a war and has been going on ever since. What's good for the consumer doesn't matter when industry is at stake.

For the likes of Air Canada, WestJet, United, Delta, Qantas, Lufthansa, BA, Emirates, Southwest, etc. it's fantastic when you're the one benefiting from the protections.

As long as the US maintains its protectionism of the airline industry, Canada will continue to as well to protect its own industry. The consumers aren't part of the equation, what makes you think they are?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    Eh it would come out in the wash. Either Canadian companies get protected to continue to service all of Canada and theoretically pay corporate taxes, or they end up getting directly subsidized to service all the routes that the American airlines wouldn't touch with a 10' pole while extracting the majority of the profits by dominating the popular routes
    Either Canada is a place it’s worth running an airline in, or it’s not.

Some Canadian shitholes just need to cut the entitlement and realize that their 200 dollar flights to cancun don’t go nearly far enough to justify their existent. Pretending to matter is such a Canadian falacy.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

But you only lose a trade war when you stop fighting.
    This is where you are wrong.

Why doesn't WestJet run a LAX-NYC route (maybe see what deal they can get from EWR if JFK is too busy)? Or LAX-SFO? Enough demand to try and get a competitive route in there, provide some cheaper alternatives, not be so reliant on the Canadian market.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast