Quantcast
Planet of the Humans - Michael Moore/Jeff Gibbs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Planet of the Humans - Michael Moore/Jeff Gibbs

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Planet of the Humans - Michael Moore/Jeff Gibbs

Anyone watched the documentary yet? Free on YouTube for the next 3 weeks I believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

*Spoilers Below*

My thoughts:

- I was surprised at how anti-renewables it was. I was expecting something a little more balanced.
    - I agreed with a lot of what was exposed, particularly the propaganda around the green movement. At the same time, I wish it offered more in the way of what could be done (reducing consumption, smart grids, variable pricing models, desirable energy generation solutions, etc.)
    - I am happy it exposed all the BS around biomass but thought it was a little harsh and outdated regarding solar and wind. There are definitely issues that still need to be considered with solar and wind but they definitely cherry picked examples to make them look particularly bad. While geographically dependent, I still think a mix of solar, wind, nuclear, and nat gas makes the most sense.
    - Exposing the capitalism pushing a lot of the green movement was welcome. I particularly liked the "Blood and Gore" line.
    - I loved the fact that the Sierra Club received particular hate. I don't know why but I've always really despised them. Seems like there was a good rationale behind that.

Overall, it was a good thought piece to provide a counter-argument against the green movement but I was hoping for a film that would offer a more balanced look at the world's energy needs and offer more answers than simply decreasing population (which will have its own economic and social impacts, particularly when considering the pyramid scheme that drive pensions/deficits/economic growth).

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Is Michael Moore taken seriously in any legitimate circles anymore? I'm of the opinion that he causes more harm than good but I may be mistaken.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Michael Moore taken seriously in any legitimate circles anymore? I'm of the opinion that he causes more harm than good but I may be mistaken.
    No

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    No
    I am assuming that is in reply to the first question, and I agree. I wish he would stop because it just takes away from the ability to have real conversations.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Michael Moore's name tied to this video will unfortunately deter a lot of people from watching the documentary. I almost didn't watch it just because of that.

Good news is, Moore was just the producer, so he wasn't in the documentary at all.

Overall I thought it was fantastic, I'm glad they are finally exposing the capitalism and greed behind the green movement, its been an issue for far too long.

My Ride
    *The First*

I am assuming that is in reply to the first question, and I agree. I wish he would stop because it just takes away from the ability to have real conversations.
    Maybe he has been busy washing his jeans...

Oh, no, wait... That's obviously not it.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Michael Moore's name tied to this video will unfortunately deter a lot of people from watching the documentary. I almost didn't watch it just because of that.

Good news is, Moore was just the producer, so he wasn't in the documentary at all.

Overall I thought it was fantastic, I'm glad they are finally exposing the capitalism and greed behind the green movement, its been an issue for far too long.
    I think Moore's name being tied to it makes it a bigger nail in the coffin of this green energy terrorism. He is such a left wing douche, that if he is saying green energy is BS, people might be willing to look at it closer.

Not taking sides, but here is an interesting article rebutting much of what was talked about in the film.

https://www.filmsforaction.org/artic...isinformation/

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    Not taking sides, but here is an interesting article rebutting much of what was talked about in the film.

https://www.filmsforaction.org/artic...isinformation/
    Lol, they're not the most bias neutral source, most of them are climate activists as well.. But I mean when you're entire ideology is attacked of course you will fiercely defend.

I read about 1/4 of the article before the "hip and cool sarcastic tone" narrative became nauseating.

I was pretty surprised when one of my very anti-liberal buddies suggested to watch this Michael Moore docu in our group chat. Now it all makes sense.

Will try and watch this if i get time.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Lol, they're not the most bias neutral source, most of them are climate activists as well.. But I mean when you're entire ideology is attacked of course you will fiercely defend.

I read about 1/4 of the article before the "hip and cool sarcastic tone" narrative became nauseating.
    Of course not, but i believe truth generally lies somewhere in the middle in situations like these. I mean the guy in the article i posted works for Tesla and clearly believes in Elon as the planets savior, so at least he does not try to hide his bias. He has some good points regarding the age of some footage used as well the reliability of some of the interviewees that were curated for the documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    Of course not, but i believe truth generally lies somewhere in the middle in situations like these. I mean the guy in the article i posted works for Tesla and clearly believes in Elon as the planets savior, so at least he does not try to hide his bias. He has some good points regarding the age of some footage used as well the reliability of some of the interviewees that were curated for the documentary.
    Want to know the truth? follow the money.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Anything that Michael Moore touches should be put in the same bin as Rick & Morty or Archer with respect to factual accuracy. Read "Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man" to see the depths of his deception.

Edit: Also watch "Michael Moore Hates America", it's free on Youtube. You'll never touch anything Michael Moore related ever again, he's a fraud and a liar to the highest extent.
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 04-30-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I was really hoping that this wouldn't be such a disaster of a movie because I think there are a lot of convenient topics that get left out of the "Green Movement," and also I think LNG isn't the disaster it's portrayed to be in a lot of circles. Energy demands will continue to rise around the globe as the quality of life improves (though recent studies have suggested this pandemic could pull a lot back into poverty) and think LNG is what is going to float us through transition.

However, any opportunity for a discussion on the pros and cons of "Green" technologies was wasted and deceptively portrayed. I guess congrats Michael on picking a message and delivering?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Anything that Michael Moore touches should be put in the same bin as Rick & Morty or Archer with respect to factual accuracy. Read "Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man" to see the depths of his deception.
    I think those brush strokes are too broad. I'd say "he's lost his way". There is little to complain about Bowling For Columbine and TV Nation was way ahead of its time. Fahrenheit 911 was pretty good as well, iIRC.
    It was part way into one of his books that I gave up on him. Was it called Stupid White Men? Anyway, he started this argument about paying all workers enough so that they could afford a new car and how businesses should like that because now they can reliably get to work.
    That made me BertStare.jpg and I set the book down.
    He's the Left Wing that's too pro-union, for me and the only reason he is, is because he comes from an auto industry family. That conflicts incredibly with Left Wing environmentalism.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I think those brush strokes are too broad. I'd say "he's lost his way". There is little to complain about Bowling For Columbine and TV Nation was way ahead of its time. Fahrenheit 911 was pretty good as well, iIRC.
    When you've got time definitely watch the youtube video, it specifically exposes the main parts of BFC.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post

Edit: Also watch "Michael Moore Hates America", it's free on Youtube. You'll never touch anything Michael Moore related ever again, he's a fraud and a liar to the highest extent.
    Most (If not all) of the Archer comments are factual. Its written by some pretty sharp cookies.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Most (If not all) of the Archer comments are factual. Its written by some pretty sharp cookies.
    lol...you might have me there but hopefully everyone gets the point.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...newable-energy

It's articles like the above that kind of piss me off. Basically, the argument is that in 20-30 years renewable energy technologies will be cleaner, greener, and more fuel efficient and therefore it's still better to push money towards the less green energy technologies now. The exact opposite argument that the same people use against fossil fuels (they won't get greener or cleaner and technology will never make fossil fuels good).

I'm not pro or against fossil fuels or renewables as I think they both have a place in our energy mix. I just wish someone would take a realistic centrist view rather than being extremely pro on either renewables or fossil fuels.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Squeaky wheel gets the grease circ. 1870
    Ultracrepidarian