Quantcast
City just put out some renderings of the green line - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: City just put out some renderings of the green line

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a feeling they're going to push this through regardless of what that people have to say.
    I also suspect so.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have a feeling they're going to push this through regardless of what that people have to say.
    Has council ever voted no to spending money?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    NC1

I know. It sucks man. Not a fan of it. Gonna ruin my nice view. Time to move to Aspen.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Sounds like it from Nenshi's interview this morning.

That said, I think the longer we drag it out, the more it would cost. So let's get it over with and get some people working.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-01-2020 at 01:38 PM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

+1 to council voting to just push it through.

Green line needs to be built, but they need to build the portion north under Centre Street up to 16th underground. Even their fancy idealistic non-realistic renderings make the at-grade option look like a cramped cluster.

Edit: Just thinking about how much more congested the Centre and 16th intersection is going to be after the train goes in compared to present day terrifies me. It's already bad enough at PM rush hour during non-COVID times, usually takes me 15-20 mins to get from the Bow to 16th with traffic.
    Last edited by cyra1ax; 06-01-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Has anything ever happened in a different way? My understanding has always been that polling the public, having neighborhood meetings, etc. was purely theater and the city just does what it was always going to do regardless.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Edit: Just thinking about how much more congested the Centre and 16th intersection is going to be after the train goes in compared to present day terrifies me. It's already bad enough at PM rush hour during non-COVID times, usually takes me 15-20 mins to get from the Bow to 16th with traffic.
    I don't go on centre except for lunch excursion to Sun's or Central Grand with the team. But COVID seems to put the kibosh on that for the foreseeable future, they may as well get the damn track built ASAP.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Probably a stupid question and even more expensive but would a raised train be cheaper than a underground train to go up centre st? Drop center from 4 lanes to 3 lanes to make space for the supports for the tracks. The middle lane can still alternate directions for rush hour traffic.

Not ideal but it'd be better than center losing 2 lanes (i assume the current design reduces it by 2? I haven't really looked)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Who owns the Commonsense Calgary site?
    Could be Jim Gray, seen here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-lrt-1.5591591
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Probably a stupid question and even more expensive but would a raised train be cheaper than a underground train to go up centre st? Drop center from 4 lanes to 3 lanes to make space for the supports for the tracks. The middle lane can still alternate directions for rush hour traffic.

Not ideal but it'd be better than center losing 2 lanes (i assume the current design reduces it by 2? I haven't really looked)
    Well, if you look at the original route, running thru Edmonton trail sounds like a way less disruption option than centre.

But I guess running thru centre hit more commercial spaces so it may bring more traffic to those stores.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Running through Center Street will disrupt traffic enough to make people change their minds about driving, and take the train instead.

You know, when there's jobs downtown to be had.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    It's gonna be a mess however they do it tbh ... but I'd still rather them build it than not as we do need more trains for transit for the long term growth of the city.
    You're assuming the city is going to continue to experience steady growth.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    You're assuming the city is going to continue to experience steady growth.
    WFH and 30% office vacancy. Just do the south leg and everyone else just find a way DT.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    WFH and 30% office vacancy. Just do the south leg and everyone else just find a way DT.
    If Calgary Transit didn't make downtown the hub for every one of its lines, I would agree. To get to the University (Red line) From any Blue line train, you have to switch trains downtown.To get to the Airport, you have to go downtown first and catch a bus, or go to Westwinds station (I Think) and catch a bus. That means switching from what ever to a blue line train. We don't have a system like other developed cities that have multiple lines hitting multiple stations at multiple points so that all trains don't have to converge on the core. Our BRT Lanes that were built should have been train lines to remove some of the reliance of the core as a hub for rapid transit, but we didn't do that. Arguably, this is the best time to be building and doing maintenance on infrastructure on the municipal, provincial and national levels.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    If Calgary Transit didn't make downtown the hub for every one of its lines, I would agree. To get to the University (Red line) From any Blue line train, you have to switch trains downtown.To get to the Airport, you have to go downtown first and catch a bus, or go to Westwinds station (I Think) and catch a bus. That means switching from what ever to a blue line train. We don't have a system like other developed cities that have multiple lines hitting multiple stations at multiple points so that all trains don't have to converge on the core. Our BRT Lanes that were built should have been train lines to remove some of the reliance of the core as a hub for rapid transit, but we didn't do that. Arguably, this is the best time to be building and doing maintenance on infrastructure on the municipal, provincial and national levels.
    See that’s what Calgary really needs. Is another Ring Road (Rail).
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think a transit corridor along the east side would be very sensible. New c-train purple line:
    Name:  Screenshot_20200602-130104.png
Views: 565
Size:  384.2 KB
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

As for the green line, apparently "one good line" is the catchphrase for everyone who's following my idea of building the south leg to downtown and not even crossing the bow River
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-dec2faff6dfc/

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like this.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200602-130104~2.png
Views: 517
Size:  341.7 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think a transit corridor along the east side would be very sensible. New c-train purple line:
    Name:  Screenshot_20200602-130104.png
Views: 565
Size:  384.2 KB
    We don't have the population density to support such a model. Looking at ridership data, the majority of the trips are from suburbs to downtown, which is why downtown hub model is the only ideal model for us. You're right, it does make it much more difficult to travel around, requiring switching trains/busses. That problem exists in major metropolitan transit systems as well. NY, London, HK (where I've used transit) most trips require switching trains. Just more inconvenient for us as we have to switch to busses.

It'll be interesting to see what happens post pandemic, if downtown even recovers. Lots of companies are realizing WFH does work and saves on a ton of costs. If this becomes accepted practice moving forward, transportation will need a complete new rethink from transit to even personal cars.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    We don't have the population density to support such a model. Looking at ridership data, the majority of the trips are from suburbs to downtown, which is why downtown hub model is the only ideal model for us. You're right, it does make it much more difficult to travel around, requiring switching trains/busses. That problem exists in major metropolitan transit systems as well. NY, London, HK (where I've used transit) most trips require switching trains. Just more inconvenient for us as we have to switch to busses.

It'll be interesting to see what happens post pandemic, if downtown even recovers. Lots of companies are realizing WFH does work and saves on a ton of costs. If this becomes accepted practice moving forward, transportation will need a complete new rethink from transit to even personal cars.
    Don't the MAX buses also solve the cross travel between trains? I thought that was the whole concept, so be able to skip past downtown to the other lines if necessary.

Though waiting for a bus isn't as great as waiting for a train.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

I agree that we aren't big enough or dense enough. I also don't argue that having a "Ring line" is stupid in Calgary. I don't mind switching trains to get to a destination, it goes without saying that unless you live right on the correct line you have to change trains/busses at some point. The "Hub and Spoke" Rapid transit model is the most efficient for us. What I don't agree with is equating the worth of the green line solely to the core based on offices/vacancy in the core. Yes, downtown workforce ridership is important, but so is general ridership to other areas of the city that currently has to pass through the core to get to any other destination. We know that the train travel is faster than busses, because it has right of way when it comes to at-grade crossings and isn't bothered by traffic, so why wouldn't we have a few more branch lines so that communities can bus from their area to a closer train station? I guess I just believe that busses should be the start and / or the end of the trip, with the train being the tool used to rapidly move people from one section of the city to another.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast