Quantcast
Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I have 3 LRs. So, something else is up.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Things mentioned in the forums (which you've no doubt tried) include:

"Beacon Interval set to 3, Disabled Auto Optimize, No High Performing devices forced to 5 Ghz, no blocking of Multicast trafic."

For a hail mary trouble shooting step (makes no sense), someone also mentioned trying a different DNS for each WAP - (eg. 1.1.1.1 on one and 8.8.8.8 on another).
    Tried everything but the hail Mary and downgrade. Just downgraded all my APs. Tested 2 laptops, and it seems to have fixed the problem lol. Will confirm by morning since this shit happens overnight.

Downgraded to 4.0.10 from December 2018. What a fucking shit show.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Tried everything but the hail Mary and downgrade. Just downgraded all my APs. Tested 2 laptops, and it seems to have fixed the problem lol. Will confirm by morning since this shit happens overnight.

Downgraded to 4.0.10 from December 2018. What a fucking shit show.
    Does the update release info from 4.0.10 to the next version, offer any hints as to WTF is going on?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Does the update release info from 4.0.10 to the next version, offer any hints as to WTF is going on?
    I haven’t looked. I’m sure nobody has a clue including ubnt. Ubnt staff is still working with a few people trying to isolate it. Still active this morning.

https://community.ui.com/questions/C...d3b48d?page=33

Just crazy that even ubnt doesn’t know after a year. My errors over 24 hrs is continually dropping. 0 errors in last hour. Both laptops connected immediately before I unlocked them this morning. So I consider my issues fixed.

Maybe this weekend I’ll upgrade firmware one after another to isolate the version. @kenny is on a 3 month newer version with no problems, and @benyl is on latest but with much lower errors than I experienced.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Down to 0 errors after 24 hours across the board. I’m a sucker for punishment, on to firmware upgrades one by one to isolate the bad version haha.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I also have 2 LRs that occasionally have this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well I’ve now upgraded everything to the latest version and the problem didn’t come back. I’ve changed nothing else. So the bug looks to manifest itself if you don’t start off with an older version of firmware. When I got my APs it forced a firmware update and went straight to the latest version. Probably some depreciated option that’s still referenced in the newer firmware.

So if you ever run into this problem, downgrade to the original 4.0.x release and upgrade. I’d hate to have to manage a large installation to deal with this shit. Explains why larger installs have this problem across just some APs, as any new APs would skip versions to the latest during the adoption process.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well I’ve now upgraded everything to the latest version and the problem didn’t come back. I’ve changed nothing else. So the bug looks to manifest itself if you don’t start off with an older version of firmware. When I got my APs it forced a firmware update and went straight to the latest version. Probably some depreciated option that’s still referenced in the newer firmware.

So if you ever run into this problem, downgrade to the original 4.0.x release and upgrade.
    That post gives me the Willie's. Or Willy's? However you spell it. Gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Explains why it didn’t affect me. I’ve been incrementally updating for years
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Explains why it didn’t affect me. I’ve been incrementally updating for years
    Last 24h.

Name:  E98C8DB2-E615-4127-9801-A4267630EEA0.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  91.0 KB

If any of those other than access control is non zero in a 24h period, you probably have the problem. Can isolate it down to which AP is problematic using the filter on the right.

My Ride
    95B

So if you ever run into this problem, downgrade to the original 4.0.x release and upgrade. I’d hate to have to manage a large installation to deal with this shit. Explains why larger installs have this problem across just some APs, as any new APs would skip versions to the latest during the adoption process.
    Are you applying the firmware in the sequence ? ie From 4.0.X -> 4.0X+1.......to 4.3.X?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    Are you applying the firmware in the sequence ? ie From 4.0.X -> 4.0X+1.......to 4.3.X?
    I did, yea. The problem is easy to duplicate on a Mac so I just upgraded, tested, repeat.

My Ride
    95B

I did, yea. The problem is easy to duplicate on a Mac so I just upgraded, tested, repeat.
    Thanks. I am doing the same.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    Thanks. I am doing the same.
    Good luck. Hopefully ubnt figures this shit out so we don’t have to go thru this.

My Ride
    '21 BMW X5 X40i mSport

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    awesome thank you, just ordered it. This is already at the top end of what i want to spend on networking gear ($180 shipped) so not really wanting to go to wifi 6 for now.

Now hopefully i can figure out a way to migrate my settings from my current Asus router on to this one as I really don't want to set up all my devices/IoT stuff again. In the past i've tried setting up new networks wih the same SSID name and passwords, but devices wouldn't connect without going through the whole connection process again. Probably some underlying security/certificate stuff that i didn't bother looking into further. Crossing my fingers that there is a way to easily migrate network with these two models since they are the same manufacturer and relatively same generation.
    Migration is not that simple. I just upgraded my main AC68U to this AC86U, however the settings transfer process hangs the 86U. I ended up installing the new router and having the old router direct-wired to a laptop and copying settings over to the new one. Then you can reset the old router and add as an AIMesh node.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

upgrades coming. Distill.io didn't work.

Name:  2020-06-09_9-08-15.png
Views: 210
Size:  31.7 KB

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Any problems if I run POE cable through these boxes-specifically the one that houses the Shaw cable?

Name:  guVrOm.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  22.0 KB

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    upgrades coming. Distill.io didn't work.

Name:  2020-06-09_9-08-15.png
Views: 210
Size:  31.7 KB
    you just added two inches.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Any problems if I run POE cable through these boxes-specifically the one that houses the Shaw cable?

Name:  guVrOm.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  22.0 KB
    That's how I ran CAT6 to my outdoor AP. Just make sure you reseal it so shit doesn't get into your basement.

Quote Originally Posted by bookem View Post
    Migration is not that simple. I just upgraded my main AC68U to this AC86U, however the settings transfer process hangs the 86U. I ended up installing the new router and having the old router direct-wired to a laptop and copying settings over to the new one. Then you can reset the old router and add as an AIMesh node.
    Yup, i tried migrating settings to my new AC86U from my old AC66U and it didn't work. It looked like the settings loaded, but then after reboot it just would not pick up my internet connection. Tried twice with no dice. Ended up just setting it up from scratch using the same SSID names/passwords i had and all my devices connected just fine. Restored my old 66U to factory default and set it up as an AIMesh using their instructions with no issues.

It was a pretty clean and easy process... probably would have taken me 10 mins total if it wasn't for my two failed attempts of migrating that wasted 15 mins. Pretty happy with my setup now and no issues getting wifi in the furthest point in my back yard now.

When i get some time, i'm going to try and run an ethernet cable to connect the two routers instead of using WIFI for some extra robustness but no rush for now. (i think this is called gigabit backhaul?)
    Last edited by sabad66; 06-09-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast