Quantcast
Residential Schools (split) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Residential Schools (split)

Default Residential Schools (split)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tas...izes-1.5475703.

Senator beyak back in the news. Shes finally decided to apologize for trying to frame residential schools as being well intentioned and noble. She went a lot further in describing her praise for residential schools. Sounded a lot like a few posters here.

Got to hand it to her though. The Senate keeps trying to kick her out and her hometown is demanding her resignation. Even with all the condemnation she still persisted residential schools were good.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... She went a lot further in describing her praise for residential schools. Sounded a lot like a few posters here.
    Again with this? Bring the quotes to backup your accusations of this grotesque racism, or, cease and desist.
    Your accusations against these members are incredibly serious yet you continue to just hurl shit at the wall with no proof.
    You say members here have declared "praise for Residential Schools" without any proof. Show who has "praised" them or stop your blanket statement bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Lets take an honest - timeframe based look at residential schools.

1800s-early 1900's most privileged kids were sent away to 'grammar school'. Both of my grandfathers were. Like being sent away to a high end boarding school now - it's still 'done' - it was at the time (and still somewhat is) considered best practice for the children.

Most of our prime ministers from SJAM on were graduates of the grammar schools. When you look at it that way - does it seem like we were punishing them or trying to destroy their culture? No it seems like we were trying to help them... Putting them through school programs most canadians youth wouldn't have been able to access.

Yup, the church bungled it... Government bungled it... But - the intention was 'honorable', noble even...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Didn’t they take those kids and put them in residential schools to teach them Christianity and give them the skills they needed to be successful in the fast developing western world?
    Sending kids off to school - as was done for the priviledged... With the goal of educating them is a bad thing?

And as was mentioned - the FN leaders agreed to this plan... But now it's racist?

You can call me racist all you want - I've got multiple close FN friends, Just because I can look at this in a different view than you doesn't make me racist... Those of privledge sent their young children off to grammar schools. It was a fairly common practice throughout the commonwealth... A functional education was for their benefit. Still is... So are we still trying to eliminate their culture and languages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I don't know if you're purposely trolling? Or just genuinely ignorant yourself? What is so difficult about understanding the difference between intentions and how that played out in reality? The intentions were obviously noble in some sense to begin with, otherwise the band leaders would not have agreed to it(thanks for the neg rep on that fact btw lol). The bleeding hearts like to jump on this wagon that the entire thing was pure racism from the begging, but they seem to forget that the original colonizers, had they been as racist as people make them out to be, could've easily just ethnically cleansed this country from the get go. You're trying to paint a picture that our ancestors were so racist that death to the Indians was not good enough. We wanted to see them live and suffer, even if it was at great expense to ourselves. That's an extreme level of hate that is hard to fathom.
    LOL heres a bunch debating the noble residential schools while making stuff up along the way. I quoted it earlier.

Senator beyak is being chased out of the Senate for telling people residential schools were good, well intentioned etc etc.

For the 10th time residential schools were not optional. The govt created a law forcing people to attend. FN chiefs were not consulted or asked for their thoughts even though a few people think that.
    Last edited by gwill; 02-25-2020 at 11:57 PM.

My Ride
    ute

we get it. Residential schools were bad.

MAybe go start a thread on that. Right now we're talking about modern day criminals not last century's criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    we get it. Residential schools were bad.

MAybe go start a thread on that. Right now we're talking about modern day criminals not last century's criminals.
    Oops, My bad.

My Ride
    4x4

I said well intentioned - and that they weren't effectively managed. Like all government and church programs.

But gwill will forever claim it was done as a way to destroy FNs.

Sorry my view will never change - and that doesn't make me racist - putting FN children through the equivalency of what today would be sending them off to a boarding school was a way to integrate and include them in the nation.

Go back look through the papers of the day and some of the commentary from parliment and you'll see true racism - this was an era when racism was truly rampant, where slaves were owned. "Wasting" money to educating these heathen was overwhelmingly frowned upon.

In the context of the era - the residential schools were unheard of. Cry all you want through modern rose colored glasses - the intent itself was noble, extremely progressive compared to what much of the Populus desired at the time - segregation and let them fend for themselves.

I said well intentioned - and that they weren't effectively managed. Like all government and church programs.

But gwill will forever claim it was done as a way to destroy FNs.

Sorry my view will never change - and that doesn't make me racist - putting FN children through the equivalency of what today would be sending them off to a boarding school was a way to integrate and include them in the nation.

Go back look through the papers of the day and some of the commentary from parliment and you'll see true racism - this was an era when racism was truly rampant, where slaves were owned. "Wasting" money to educating these heathen was overwhelmingly frowned upon.

In the context of the era - the residential schools were unheard of. Cry all you want through modern rose colored glasses - the intent itself was noble, extremely progressive compared to what much of the Populus desired at the time - segregation and let them fend for themselves.
    You have such a warped view of history. Do you make stuff up with everything else in life? Give this a quick read and let me know where the well intentioned or noble acts of our govt were.

https://indigenousfoundations.arts.u...school_system/

You'll see it counters everything you pretend to know. You wont see anything noble or well intentioned.

Or how about hearing from the church that ran residential schools who are on record their goal was the assimilation of first nations children. Their goal? To remove the indian from them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ang...ools-1.4033335

Maybe you know something the church that ran the schools dont? Will you convince them their wrong when theyve said residential schools were not well intentioned or noble.

For the record senator beyak has stood firm on her stance(until yesterday) which is similar to yours. Unfortunately historians, scholars, the church who ran the schools all dont agree with her. Shes been mocked in the media, kicked from the senate and may lose her job. Guess that's what happens when you ignore basic facts/history.

My Ride
    ute

internet: so about that coronavirus...
    @gwill : virus? goddamn it man, have you heard about the residential schools!

theres a French article quoting the premier of quebec as saying their police are delaying the dismantling of a blockade as the reserve has assault weapons on it.

LOL heres a bunch debating the noble residential schools while making stuff up along the way. I quoted it earlier.

Senator beyak is being chased out of the Senate for telling people residential schools were good, well intentioned etc etc.

For the 10th time residential schools were not optional. The govt created a law forcing people to attend. FN chiefs were not consulted or asked for their thoughts even though a few people think that.
    Again, if you seriously don't understand the difference between intentions and reality, then STFU and go away with your continual inaccuracies.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Again, if you seriously don't understand the difference between intentions and reality, then STFU and go away with your continual inaccuracies.
    the church quoted in the article who ran the residential schools doesnt they to sugar coat things the way a few of you are nor does out government.

You guys should pull your head out of your asses. Or better yet try what senator beyak has for the last couple years. See how that plays out for you.

My Ride
    4x4

You have such a warped view of history. Do you make stuff up with everything else in life? Give this a quick read and let me know where the well intentioned or noble acts of our govt were.

https://indigenousfoundations.arts.u...school_system/

You'll see it counters everything you pretend to know. You wont see anything noble or well intentioned.

Or how about hearing from the church that ran residential schools who are on record their goal was the assimilation of first nations children. Their goal? To remove the indian from them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ang...ools-1.4033335

Maybe you know something the church that ran the schools dont? Will you convince them their wrong when theyve said residential schools were not well intentioned or noble.

For the record senator beyak has stood firm on her stance(until yesterday) which is similar to yours. Unfortunately historians, scholars, the church who ran the schools all dont agree with her. Shes been mocked in the media, kicked from the senate and may lose her job. Guess that's what happens when you ignore basic facts/history.
    You cannot apply modern ideology to something that happened over a hundred years ago.

And sorry but the one sided revisionist history doesn't tell the full story either.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...igenous-people

So SJAM was a mean bastard by your belief... So what were the liberals who attacked him for not starving the savages more? Non racist liberals seeking the betterment of the FN people? But they created the system SJAM inherited?

You need to spend some time reading the old 1800s Upper Canada newspapers microfiche to get a real understanding of the tone, intent and who the real assholes were in this game.

SJAM proposed giving the FNs voting rights back then, something Canada didn't proceed with until 1960 - 80yrs later.

Like I said the time was a mess - assimilation you take as wrong but it's what's allowed us to be the nation we are today, we wouldn't have FNs politician, lawyers, advocates etc had they not been in some way brought into the modern world.

SJAMs actions can be suspect - but look at the whole. demonize him if you want - not my relative IDGAF. But considering the opposition arguments - I definitely see a very different man than you do. He sent the kids off to school - very much like grammar school - where he'd been sent, to be taught, to be introduced to the modern world, not to be starving, not to be trying to subsist eating grass. You call it shameful, I call it caring.

What does UNDRIP say about isolating of FNs? Should we have run the Pass system kept them confined, devoid of contact with the modern world, unable to function in it in any way? Forever alienated?

Now let's watch gwill spin it and throw more negative reps.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

$2.8 Billion...

Naively, I hopeful the money will be used for mental and social programs to break generational trauma. But my jaded view is that most of this money will be pissed away and nothing will have changed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...schools-class/
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    $2.8 Billion...

Naively, I hopeful the money will be used for mental and social programs to break generational trauma. But my jaded view is that most of this money will be pissed away and nothing will have changed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...schools-class/
    Splitting hairs with that one. Does it matter much whether the money is pissed away on social programs to break generational trauma, or just pissed away in general? Nothing changes or gets fixed either way.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So it’s over now? Does the money come with a gag clause?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

"Yo, sorry we skipped that whole 'truth' part, but here's a giant check. No one's ever thought to try this before. You're welcome!"

- Heir Justin

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Give the people what they want.

Cash. Cash is what they want.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Trudo is on a roll.

Don’t forget the 1.3 Billion he gave to Siksika just 7 months ago.

We’re at 4.1 billion that can be “counted”. How much more to come?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Ridiculous. This country is fucked in so many ways.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Total payments relating to land claims and residential schools will be over a trillion by the time its all done in 2147 or so.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast