Quantcast
Subwoofer trouble shooting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Subwoofer trouble shooting

Default Subwoofer trouble shooting

Wondering if my aftermarket deck is on its way out or not. I got a subwoofer installed not too long ago but I started noticing that if the car is parked for a good day or so the sub won't turn on.

I have to manually go into the settings in the deck to turn the sub settings to on. After that the sub is fine.

Anyone know what this could be?

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wondering if my aftermarket deck is on its way out or not. I got a subwoofer installed not too long ago but I started noticing that if the car is parked for a good day or so the sub won't turn on.

I have to manually go into the settings in the deck to turn the sub settings to on. After that the sub is fine.

Anyone know what this could be?
    Is the deck a Boss brand by chance?

nope, its a JVC. I've had it for about 5 years but never ran a subwoofer until last month.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Maybe your alternator and battery cant keep up with your sub/amp and are drawing down battery voltage to point where deck loses settings??? No idea.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Maybe your alternator and battery cant keep up with your sub/amp and are drawing down battery voltage to point where deck loses settings??? No idea.
    I have been having issues trying to determine why my battery keeps draining, just got a new battery tho and tested for draws and shop didn't find anything. I wonder if it could be the deck still drawing power. The battery issues were happening before the sub install tho.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I was thinking more that the alt/bat couldnt keep up while the system is in use so even if there is no phantom draw it could just not be getting enough charge
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    I was thinking more that the alt/bat couldnt keep up while the system is in use so even if there is no phantom draw it could just not be getting enough charge
    I think you're on to something! I just did some research after your post and sometimes the deck isn't installed right so it constantly draws power , below is taken from a car audio forum:

"The problem is actually the wiring. Check the installation manual, I guarantee the "pro" installer took a shortcut.

There are two power wires (yellow & red +) and a ground wire (black -).
    Now, black goes to chassis grounding point. Easy.

Yellow goes to a live terminal in the fuse block for constant 12V.
    This retains the settings and clock etc.

Red goes to an ACCESSORY terminal in the fuse block (so key must be turned to at least ACC to allow it to be switched on).

But in the case of my car, the idiot who installed it ran the red wire directly to the + battery terminal. That's wrong, and will drain the battery.

Google for an installation manual, I'm certain your JVC head units will be the same procedure"

now i never had a subwoofer before this battery draw thing was an issue before then. Realizing that i need to manually turn on the sub setting after a few days tells me the deck isn't storing the settings, which might be from it pulling power to the battery .

My Ride
    changes every year

Yep if your battery is draining, the deck will revert back to factory settings. Connect the red and orange(or yellow) together on the back of the deck to the red from the car.

My Ride
    *The First*

Installers are constantly connecting shit to Hot that's supposed to be to Accessory.
    I doubt the system is big enough to be drawing down the battery and alternator. That's typically getting to competition-level amounts of equipment, not just one sub.

Deck isn't connected correctly.
    Do what 03ozwhip said. If still having issues, look at the ground wire. Run that dedicated to a bolt that is touching metal.
    I've seen ground wires do weird unexplained things when not properly grounded.
    Ground wire issues don't explain the battery drain but could explain the settings not saving.