Quantcast
Nvidia 3000 Series Announcement - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia 3000 Series Announcement

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ton of 2080ti's already on the used market. Some as low as 600$ and probably will be flexible might be able to snag one for 500... now I'm kinda torn between a 3070 or a used 2080ti since I can prob get the used one a fair bit cheaper. Any word on Canadian pricing for the 3070? Guessing 650-700?
    Definitely wait just to see what "faster" means from the presentation. Knowing nividia the will already have a 3070 super or ti when we can actually get one lol. Worst case all the 2080 ti already dropped huge so you can pick one up for cheap from people that need the money from there current card to upgrade.

I just laughed at all these guys that want that 4k. Monitors are stupid expensive still when going high refresh rates. Without that it's useless
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Agreed. Lots of new rtx tech and cores in the 20 series cards. Now that they've ironed out some issues and made improvements, the 30x0 cards are way better.

Looking forward to a 3080, it'll be $1000 but will crush the only 20x0 line in that same ballpark and above.

From a Reddit Q&A with Nvidia - looks promising, and it looks like the higher speed memory makes up (at least in part) for not having more than 10GB on the 3080:

[Justin Walker] We’re constantly analyzing memory requirements of the latest games and regularly review with game developers to understand their memory needs for current and upcoming games. The goal of 3080 is to give you great performance at up to 4k resolution with all the settings maxed out at the best possible price.

In order to do this, you need a very powerful GPU with high speed memory and enough memory to meet the needs of the games. A few examples - if you look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears of War 5, Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a 3080 at 4k with Max settings (including any applicable high res texture packs) and RTX On, when the game supports it, you get in the range of 60-100fps and use anywhere from 4GB to 6GB of memory.

Extra memory is always nice to have but it would increase the price of the graphics card, so we need to find the right balance.
    An RTX 3080 is powerful enough to run certain games maxed out at 4k 144fps - Doom Eternal, Forza 4, Wolfenstein Youngblood to name a few. But others - Red Dead Redemption 2, Control, Borderlands 3 for example are closer to 4k 60fps with maxed out settings.
    Here's the full thing:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...d_we_answered/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-03-2020 at 02:11 PM.

3070 Ti was leaked by Lenovo with 16GB of RAM so that all but confirms the 3080Ti with 20GB - all good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    3070 Ti was leaked by Lenovo with 16GB of RAM so that all but confirms the 3080Ti with 20GB - all good news.
    nice... don't need one, but want one. Hopefully can afford one.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Anyone grabbing one of these tomorrow? Definately don't need one, but defiantely want it. My poor 1070 GTX.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Drove by memory express and saw a lineup. Must be for that

My Ride
    Grimace

Teardown of the FE.

Doesn't look too difficult to take apart with the amount of screws. Since the PCB is double sided and quite short, should be pretty compact for water cooling.
    Last edited by schocker; 09-17-2020 at 05:28 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    Anyone grabbing one of these tomorrow? Definately don't need one, but defiantely want it. My poor 1070 GTX.
    Nah, I wait for the dust settles.

I have a feeling I would want a 3080 Ti down the road. So I may stick with only buying Ti cards.........

And really, going thru the benchmarks, it's been underwhelming because of hype.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I'm going to wait to see what AMD does. I don't think I'll end up with one of their cards, but perhaps if the performance is close, that will drive the price of the 3080 back to MSRP, instead of current price gouging numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    I'd wait for reviews on the partner cards to determine what variants/cooling solutions are the best, etc. unless you absolutely need it now. Build quality gets better over time as well. This year, partner card manufacturers had a shorter than normal time to work out their designs as well so you may see more growing pains or QA issues.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    I'm going to wait to see what AMD does. I don't think I'll end up with one of their cards, but perhaps if the performance is close, that will drive the price of the 3080 back to MSRP, instead of current price gouging numbers.
    So far all the rumors point to them matching the 3080 but not the 3090. Content creation software like Photoshop also heavily favor Nvidia cards, so that is also a consideration depending on what you do even if Big Navi is super impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    And really, going thru the benchmarks, it's been underwhelming because of hype.
    It's the single largest generational performance jump since 2004, not sure what else you were hoping for but it's a pretty exciting time for anyone looking to upgrade.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

LOL 25%+ faster for less money than prior generation = underwhelming.

My Ride
    XT6

I stopped by Memory Express at 11 am with the intention of "stopping in quickly" for a 3080 build.

The lineup was from the front door to the street by that time.

Looks like I'm waiting for the next round of stock...

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    I stopped by Memory Express at 11 am with the intention of "stopping in quickly" for a 3080 build.

Apparently, they don’t even have stock for any of those in line. Just queued pre-order numbers, for those that waited hours.

Lol, @ MemEx.
    Last edited by cam_wmh; 09-17-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    LOL 25%+ faster for less money than prior generation = underwhelming.
    I don't think you meant to quote me, but I will say that the benchmarks are underwhelming after Nvidia boldly stated that it would be 2x the performance of the 2080TI. They are only getting that performance on a couple of games from all the benchmarks I've seen, mostly ones that rely heavily on RT.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's the single largest generational performance jump since 2004, not sure what else you were hoping for but it's a pretty exciting time for anyone looking to upgrade.
    Because they keep throwing out the 2x numbers out and end up just 30-40 over a 2080 in most cases.

Regardless, I'm excited but not rushing.

My Ride
    rally pig

man, if I knew 3080 would sell like hot cakes I would have lined up haha

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GIGABYTE-GeF...L&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nvida-RTX-30...6&LH_Auction=1

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post

I made an impulse decision and showed up at 9:30 to meet a buddy, thinking they opened at 10, Chinook was the only store that isnt open till 11. So that my mistake, I assumed 10 like everywhere else. After the ~ 1.5 hour wait chatting with a buddy, staff came out at 10:55 and handed the first 30 or so people in line tickets (I was 12th @ 9:30, the line really wasnt that bad) and asked to line up and social distance out the other side of the lot towards the street. Everyone was at least 4 or 5 feet away from each other, in line, without direction already.

A few guys were asked what card they were wanting, then staff say it's 10 or so at a time in the store, come inside, pick your card, stay separated, etc. First 10 goes in, first guy comes out and he's pretty livid, not a single card in the store, we were just pre-paying for allocations as stock came in to each store. Not the best way to spend 2 hours of my day, but it wasn't the end of the world, I felt bad for the guy behind me in line from Okotoks and like the 3rd guy in line who drove in from BC for launch day.

I didnt care that bad, but I had a new monitor and wanted to put it through it's paces and my 1070 GTX isn't loving 4k, for whatever reason, some people had to pre-pay and some didnt (I didn't) so I guess I'll find out in a few weeks if I'm getting anything, or if I'm sticking with the 1070 a while longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    man, if I knew 3080 would sell like hot cakes I would have lined up haha

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GIGABYTE-GeF...L&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nvida-RTX-30...6&LH_Auction=1
    I'm sure there's 102 dummy accounts making that look "good"

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Because they keep throwing out the 2x numbers out and end up just 30-40 over a 2080 in most cases.

Regardless, I'm excited but not rushing.
    Nvidia's numbers are always taken with a grain of salt, much like anything Intel or any other OEM puts out about their own product. I'm sure you didn't actually believe a 2X gain in all situations.

It's ~70% faster than a 2080 over a 10+ game average at 4K and ~50% at 1440P over the same. Performance per watt and frame per dollar is also better than then 2080. Thermals are better. The 3080 and above are aimed at 4K gamers, you will always see less gain on lower resolutions as they are more CPU dependent.

Just like every other GPU release that ever was, they will perform better in some games than others, so if you are buying it for a specific game, look at that. If you are wondering how it compares to the previous generation on a broad scale, you look at multi-game averages. Also keep in mind that drivers are still immature for the new cards vs. previous gen comparisons.

It's still the biggest generational leap since ~2004 which is a big deal IMO. Combined with Ryzen 4000 you will be able to build a great gaming PC for very cheap in a month or two.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-17-2020 at 03:57 PM.

My Ride
    TypeR

It's still the biggest generational leap since ~2004 which is a big deal IMO.
    Sort of. Comparing specs to a 2080ti most guys are only getting 10-30% increase. The real performance gain is in video editing and rendering.

The price per performance is good but let be fair its new and should be better. The claim that NVIDIA keeps making that it is cheaper may be true in the US but we sorta get screwed. Ive read tons of stuff that they shorted the product amount at launch so they can bump the prices.

My EVGA 2080ti xc at launch was 1400
    EVGA 3080 xc at launch is 1050

With an overclock in the games I have i'm beating all the 1440p numbers of the FE. Obviously the benchmarks are stock FE but I was expecting more after all the hype.

Im waiting for a 3080 ti to drop but I really hope the specs are better then 30% or I may pass unless 4k 144hz monitors drop in price significantly.
    Last edited by scboss; 09-18-2020 at 12:53 AM.
    IG:scboss

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast