Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So apparently the previous Husky layoffs were 390, though it says thats how many were let go this year with most being in Oct.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/husk...lion-1.4711008

My Ride
    Bicycle

I guess public sector employees will start flooding this thread soon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...cuts-1.5379582

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If I was a betting man, I would say a small fraction of the public employees actually get laid off compared to the union/NDP bluster that has been flying around lately.

ALOT of those numbers are expected to be from attrition.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Can we get some truth dropped on us about what the fuck is happening with AHS? My sister is a nurse and keeps getting all this propaganda thrown at her about Kenney but reading the articles she's posting on facebook and what her union is sending her it doesn't really make sense. Whats going on with those AHS idiots?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Can we get some truth dropped on us about what the fuck is happening with AHS? My sister is a nurse and keeps getting all this propaganda thrown at her about Kenney but reading the articles she's posting on facebook and what her union is sending her it doesn't really make sense. Whats going on with those AHS idiots?
    Gonna try and explain it but this is all from memory so take with a grain of salt.

Basically AHS is having the same thing happened as CBE. There are multiple funding streams from the government in the sense of one overall set of funds but then also more targeted credits. UCP ran on a platform of not cutting funds and so the main overall funding isn't being touched (which is what the UCP keeps touting). But what is happening is a bunch of individual targeted programs and being slashed or eliminated. Which in the end means there's less funding for staff which is why they're talking about jobs being eliminated.

A large majority of the jobs will be lost through attrition (someone leaves and the spot isn't filled) but this also means that work just gets dumped onto others. Particularly with nurses this is quite bad because many are forced to work a lot of OT as it is. So if you start cutting jobs one of two things happens. Either there are less beds which means longer wait times and less care, or the existing nurses pick up more shifts, work more OT, and you spend more money in the end anyways.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    A large majority of the jobs will be lost through attrition (someone leaves and the spot isn't filled) but this also means that work just gets dumped onto others. Particularly with nurses this is quite bad because many are forced to work a lot of OT as it is. So if you start cutting jobs one of two things happens. Either there are less beds which means longer wait times and less care, or the existing nurses pick up more shifts, work more OT, and you spend more money in the end anyways.
    You forgot a third option, outsource at 2-3x the cost or introduce privatization to reduce wait time.

But I agree that we have to change health care from triage to prevention.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s also a theoretical 500 jobs condensed over a 3 year period.

So no 500 nurses didn’t receive pink slips last week as some would have you believe, and AHS is welcome to find the efficiencies elsewhere just like the CBE.

But it’s far easier to, like the CBE, take the dollar difference in what the NDP promised and the UCP budget divide that by a nurses salary and say “UCP lay off XXX nurses”.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Silverado

or the 4th option, find efficiencies and provide a better service.

If my group was given a 5% cut and I told my president the only thing I could do was lay someone off he would fire me for not having a clue.

There is no way that they can't find ways to save money. They are actively looking to make it as bad as possible. We all know that these groups aren't efficient and this only exemplifies it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    or the 4th option, find efficiencies and provide a better service.

If my group was given a 5% cut and I told my president the only thing I could do was lay someone off he would fire me for not having a clue.

There is no way that they can't find ways to save money. They are actively looking to make it as bad as possible. We all know that these groups aren't efficient and this only exemplifies it.
    This. So much this.
    I tried to explain this to a friend of mine who works for AHS and she absolutely lost her mind and said I don’t care about her job. Blah blah blah.
    She’s blocked all contact.

In the private sector, we find efficiencies, in my company for example we have saved millions streamlining operations from procurement, logistics, maintenance etc.... This allowed us to save jobs and actually actively hire at the moment.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I think the anecdote of "too many chiefs, not enough indians" applies here (not just AHS). Job amalgamation is a major no-no in union environments and that is the end result usually.

How typical of the union to cry and distort the truth when the government said they were focused on middle management.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-02-2019 at 04:33 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just remember it’s CBE and AHS who are making front lines teachers and nurses expendable. No one else.

The solution cannot always be just spend more. It’s amazing how difficult this concept is for people to understand.

In some ways I wish CBE and AHS could go bankrupt so so they would have to grow up, the government having to cover for their incompetence isn’t help anyone.

fact.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Management to staff ratios are a great way to look at middle management levels. 5-6 staff to one manager is typical from what I've seen in the private sector. Willing to wager in AHS or CBE management it is 3-1 or worse.
    School boards definitely don't. At least not where my Wife is a teacher, 30 teaching staff, 2.5 admins for the school, 1 principal, 1VP, 2.5 TA's. So 2 'managers' for 35 staff. Way more than the team of 13 I have to deal with in the private sector. Then at head office, the principals all report to the superintendent. Rockyview is super lean in a lot of ways for that. 1 HR lady for all the teachers, good luck getting letters for mortgage renewal timely. Yada Yada. And it isn't just my wifes school, we have lots of family and friends in teaching and this is typical.

What I also didn't realize until my Aunt became a principal is that you're the GM of your school. So not only dealing with class scheduling, HR, etc. She also has to coordinate maintenance, pay electric bills, deal with contractors in the school.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 12-03-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSup4U View Post
    Can confirm Halliburton for the cement operations. My BIL was notified a few days ago they are pulling out of western Canada, and are done as of December 12th. Frac side is still a rumour at this point, but they expect layoffs this week.
    This hit the Herald today, confirmation of the cementing stuff we already knew.
    https://calgaryherald.com/business/h...ons-in-alberta
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Maybe they just didn't want my business, but whenever I got a quote from Halliburton they were totally out to lunch. I sometimes wonder how some of these big companies with huge overhead keep operating here.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Maybe they just didn't want my business, but whenever I got a quote from Halliburton they were totally out to lunch. I sometimes wonder how some of these big companies with huge overhead keep operating here.
    Yeah, if you weren't a large company with an existing negotiate discounted, their "regular" rates were insane. Even at their best discounts, they were rarely competing on price alone. Generally you use them because they can do something the smaller companies cannot, or you don't use them.
    I have a soft spot for Halliburton because I used them for a few unique cementing options, including foam, and I was happy with the service. But I was never a customer who chose cementing based on price either. I had much bigger problems in my wells. Plus I'm a former employee.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Either the quotes I get are 30% high, or in the same ball park as everyone else except with all these crazy stipulations leading to significant additional costs. Every time I deal with their sales team about how ridiculous their pricing or operational efficiency is the answer has always been "sorry, that's just the way it is". Unless you're Chevron or Shell they don't want your work, they've made it clear that everyone else in Canada is just a pet project that would be nice to have but they (corporately) don't really care if they get it or not. Not to mention how many times they've either not showed up or left in the middle of a project because Chevron calls (mostly talking about the stimulation side of things, not cementing). I've always found that their technical support was either non-existent or extremely delayed as compared to pretty much any of their peers in the Canadian market. Or the tech they were promoting as being the only ones in the world to do it wasn't actually all that unique, they just did a great job with smoke and mirrors to make it seem like it was.

It sucks that so many families will be affected, and I am extremely sympathetic to that as times are hard for Albertans, but in the eyes of "small" Canadian producers (speaking strictly about the business aspect of things) I say good riddance.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I much prefer the prices, service quality, and general operations as a whole from Canadian born service providers based on my experience and as such I do tend to have a pretty bad bias against any of the large international power houses.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 12-04-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, they operate a little weird, and sometimes their sales staff are tough to deal with, and it is to their detriment. They once had a guy working on improving that, but it was a long time ago . . . .

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

When I was at Halliburton in Baroid we got our orders from Denver, and they didn't want us wasting time and effort going after customers they'd never heard of. I left shortly after that because we weren't getting any new work and I was bored shitless checking the same rigs over and over again.

On the other hand, my current company will do anything any customer asks almost without question, which is no picnic either.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Every company is dysfunctional. Some hide it better than others.

Hey, what the fuck is happening at Magnum Cement? Just saw a sales manager on linkedin post that he was laid off. It was my impression that he was one of the bright lights of that company, so I assume the layoff was widespread, but can't confirm.

Every company is dysfunctional. Some hide it better than others.

Hey, what the fuck is happening at Magnum Cement? Just saw a sales manager on linkedin post that he was laid off. It was my impression that he was one of the bright lights of that company, so I assume the layoff was widespread, but can't confirm.
    Isolated incident

Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast