Quantcast
2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Turkish Grand Prix

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default 2020 Turkish Grand Prix

Do people in Turkey celebrate thanksgiving...? If so.. what do they eat..? That is the thought of the day.

Stroll has qualified for pole (Im surprised Max was 2nd on the grid, I thought he would have got first) and showed us thats its not always about Belgian beer.

Anyone feeling the Vice City vibes with Riccairdo and Lando...?
    Name:  w5tgab517iy51.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  99.9 KB

But perhaps Hamilton got bored and wanted to inject some excitement into his own race. Maybe he qualified 6th on purpose to make the race more exciting... Or he just ate too much Turkey... But he is vegan right...? The conspiracy theories....

Predictions? Riccairdo to finish 2nd... Max to win it. One of the Mercs to finish 3rd...

Ferrari... Bahahahahaahaa.. Ferrari Fans... where is your god now? Surpassingly Vettle qualified ahead of LeClerc.. I predict fireworks at the start. Perhaps we can see F1's Harry Potter pulling off some wizardry...?

WTF happend to McLaren..?

Shit is gonna down down in Istanbul... you heard it here first...

Name:  q8biwx5ayfy51.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  114.0 KB

My Ride
    Grimace

That qualifying was something else. That feels like how it is playing the game in the wet. Super performance by lance. Lewis had an incredible lap in austria in the wet to get pole so I do believe he is fine in the wet, this was just a weird session for merc.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wet start. Not actively raining. More showers on the way. Fuck yea!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Everyone who is good enough to win a grand prix please stand up.

..... Not so far Lance stroll!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

What an ending. RP takes 3rd in the constructors pushing McLaren 4th. Hamilton, drive of a champion. What a way to win his 7th.

And lol Leclerc. Good on vettel. So needed that. Spinmaster passes from vettel to Bottas haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    95B

That was a very good drive by Lewis. Waited for his chance and when it was presented to him grabbed it.
    Hope Max learns from watching Lewis.

My Ride
    This and that.

All the Ham haters that think 'he's not all that' should watch and learn how it's done.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Who was shitting on Lewis for not doing well in Qualifying? What a fucking drive by him.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone talks about Hamilton being a rain master but he got embarrassed today.

I didn’t watch his out lap but it seemed like he wasn’t aggressive enough to get heat in the tires.

Turn one tomorrow will be an interesting one...

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Everyone who is good enough to win a grand prix please stand up.

..... Not so far Lance stroll!
    LoL!!!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Great race. On an unrelated matter, anyone know the scene from the opening of all F1 races where it shows what appears to be a driver outside of the car and falling down...almost looks like a driver bailing out of the car haha....it's when they show all the racers with the F1 music and then video montage in the background. Maybe it's not what it looks like to me at all, but the clip is so quick that I can never understand wtf is going on.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Who was shitting on Lewis for not doing well in Qualifying? What a fucking drive by him.

EDIT:
    What’s funny is the lack of aggressiveness was what won him the race by a country mile. This race even in hindsight was an easy 1-2 for rbr if their drivers weren’t so impatient. Their lap times were mostly faster than Mercedes, and even on worn tires once a dry line came out. All those spins and trying to cover it up with fresh tires really fucked them over.

Hamilton’s drive was textbook. Literally everything I said about Hamilton being better than MS in the other thread was applied in this race.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Could definitely draw points from your post to his drive today around his ability and his race-craft. He went from being a pit stop behind after the first 5-8 laps to win the race by his second-largest margin....ever. No business winning the race, after the weekend they put in before the lights went out.

Seems like RP fucked Stroll by pitting him and putting him on another set of inters. He trashed those tires but didn't wreck them enough for them to become slicks.

My Ride
    XT6

Maybe we watched a different race.

Comment still stands Lewis would not have won today if Max would have had some patience.

Really his pace only came out as the tarmac dried.
    Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post

EDIT:

My Ride
    Grimace

Gutted for lance. Had such a solid race until that second stop. His pace was definitely dropping off at the end of that stint though, not sure if he could have held of perez or lewis if he had stayed out anyways. Just shows what tire temps can do to your pace.
    Great race overall though, great drives by lewis perez and vettel. Leclerc though so hard on himself from that team radio.

My Ride
    ute

That leclerc move was insanely dumb

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    What’s funny is the lack of aggressiveness was what won him the race by a country mile. This race even in hindsight was an easy 1-2 for rbr if their drivers weren’t so impatient. Their lap times were mostly faster than Mercedes, and even on worn tires once a dry line came out. All those spins and trying to cover it up with fresh tires really fucked them over.
    Well I don't know about "lack of aggressiveness", because he basically 'sent it' at turn 1 by diving inside Ricciardo who had to avoid contact and crashed into Ocon, which in turn spun out Bottas.

HAM did have a relatively uneventful race, and his strategy gamble to stay out on old tires paid off. That was the key in finishing first. Good on him, he certainly kept it on the track for the most part. And I also prefer him winning the championship while being on the podium.

Verstappen lost that race by being way too aggressive and spinning out, flatspotting his tires and basically adding an unnecessary pit stop. And that's on him and him alone.

As for Stroll, I think the moment the track really began drying that he was a sitting duck with those new tires. But at the same time Perez kept it going, so who knows. He could have gotten frustrated. Or maybe it was a car setup issue.

All in all an eventful and fun race to watch. Probably one of the best weekends of the year.
    Last edited by OTown; 11-15-2020 at 08:18 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Rewatching the race, particularly in car cams that I missed the first time live.

Max was way too aggressive. Him and Albon had the fastest car. Max pushing 100% of the time wouldn’t have done wonders on those tires anyways. He was on the ass of everyone in front of him. Both took themselves out of a RBR 1-2 with their spins.

Stroll doesn’t know how to lead a race. Zero management in the lead even tho he was well ahead of Perez. Nobody was passing anyone aside from blatant mistakes (exception was probably Albon on Vettel). Stroll could’ve managed his tires and it destroyed them so early. His in car looks like a qualifying lap every lap.

Perez thought he was saving tires, but he actually drove quite aggressively in his first stint. Not sure why he changed his driving on inters, unless he was planning to attempt a 1 stopper.

Ham was just cruising slowly. Never attacked like Max did, except his late braking move on Vettel where he almost rear ended the guy. Mitigated risk by switching sides, driving wide, and losing a place. Not sure about the criticism at the start there, he was always on the inside and actually maintained a tight line till the track opened up after the spin. Ricciardo was the one that aimed for the apex with 2 cars inside of him.

You want to see a send it, take a look at Bottas divebomb into Ocon. I’m surprised there was no penalty on that one. Blatant divebomb crash on an impossible move.

Anyways, rbr was the fastest car on both wets and inters. Their drivers threw it away. Albon was faster than everyone not rbr. Max even after fucking up his race still drove balls out and fucking up everywhere destroying the tires.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Great race. On an unrelated matter, anyone know the scene from the opening of all F1 races where it shows what appears to be a driver outside of the car and falling down...almost looks like a driver bailing out of the car haha....it's when they show all the racers with the F1 music and then video montage in the background. Maybe it's not what it looks like to me at all, but the clip is so quick that I can never understand wtf is going on.
    Nigel Mansell 1984 at the Dallas GP. His car hit the wall on the last lap while he was in 5th and he managed to coast till the start finish straight but the car stopped before the finish line. He had to get out and push the car over the line to finish 6th but fainted just before the finish line due to the heat from it being 38 degrees out

My Ride
    ute

ya, it was, as the kids say nowadays, a Big Brain move.

My Ride
    Grimace

Update from racing point. I still think they had to pit him as his tire management isn't on the level obviously of perez or hamilton.
    https://twitter.com/RacingPointF1/st...14584177008640
    UPDATE: During the team’s routine post-race car set down, we discovered damage to the underside of @lance_stroll
    's front wing that was a significant contributor to the graining issues he experienced during his 2nd and 3rd stints on the intermediate tyres at the #TurkishGP. [1/5]

Lance reported poor tyre performance, significant understeer and graining from lap 17 onwards in the race. Pitting for a fresh set of intermediates on lap 36 failed to resolve the problem, with the graining becoming even more severe. [2/5]

One of the strakes on the underside of the front wing had come loose and lodged itself in such a way that the blockage caused a significant loss of front downforce. The resultant loss of front downforce contributed to increased levels of graining. [3/5]

Data during the race confirmed there was a significant loss of front downforce - but with no visible damage to the top side of the front wing, combined with the low-grip conditions, it was difficult to confirm whether the data was correct. [4/5]

It was only after the race, when the car returned to the garage, that the damage and blockage to the underside of the front wing was discovered. [5/5] #TurkishGP #F1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast