Quantcast
What value does a realtor add? (split) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What value does a realtor add? (split)

Default What value does a realtor add? (split)

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huge liability there. I can’t imagine any home owner or builder allowing people to enter their property unattended.
    How is a random realtor you've never met more trustworthy than a random home buyer?

Also, every single open house I've ever been too (a lot), the realtor hosting it doesn't leave the kitchen - people literally walk in from the street and tour someone else's home, by themselves with zero supervision and completely unattended. That's even worse than a scheduled showing from a random person IMO.

Our place is for sale right now and I can tell you the realtors accompanying people for showings are far from respectful - some of them don't even remove their filthy outdoor shoes. There's nothing stopping any of them from being a liability.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-03-2019 at 09:38 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Huge liability there. I can’t imagine any home owner or builder allowing people to enter their property unattended.
    this is one of the most easily solvable problems

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    How is a random realtor you've never met more trustworthy than a random home buyer?

Also, every single open house I've ever been too (a lot), the realtor hosting it doesn't leave the kitchen - people literally walk in from the street and tour someone else's home, by themselves with zero supervision and completely unattended. That's even worse than a scheduled showing from a random person IMO.

Our place is for sale right now and I can tell you the realtors accompanying people for showings are far from respectful - some of them don't even remove their filthy outdoor shoes. There's nothing stopping any of them from being a liability.

The random realtor is licensed. He/she has to go through a background check, licensed, bonded, insured. The moment they access a lockbox their information is recorded, they become liable for that property.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Then report them. I totally support cleaning up the garbage realtors, the part timers.

It’s like any industry, you get what you put into it.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

It’s funny.

I’ve seen hundreds of listings by owner, and low commission platforms and 99% of them are garbage. Priced too high, filthy, difficult to book, uneducated, the list goes on.

All the power to anyone wanting to sell on their own.

The random realtor is licensed. He/she has to go through a background check, licensed, bonded, insured. The moment they access a lockbox their information is recorded, they become liable for that property.
    Why not just licence and track the home buyers too then? Also, I imagine virtually every complaint is ignored because of the he-said-she-said scenario. If I say that a showing realtor or their clients damaged/stole something from my house, it would be impossible to prove and I am sure they don't just bend over and pay up. Everyone that has damaged things in my house over the years has been licensed, bonded, and insured and it was literally impossible to get a single penny out of them.

You didn't reply to my open house point - random people literally walk in off the street, don't have to sign in or give any personal information, and proceed to have free reign of a stranger's house and all their belongings - that is much worse than a random person booking a showing and having their data logged. Any complaints or accusations made would be pure hearsay and the homeowner would be SOL as usual.

Then report them. I totally support cleaning up the garbage realtors, the part timers.
    What would the point of that be? They would just say they didn't do it and the homeowner wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The homeowner isn't going to have before/after photos of every inch of the house and even then you could just say they were photoshopped or whatever else.

i'm totally on board with needing to go with a licensed realtor for a viewing. It would be a shitshow if any person off the street can book a showing and enter any home that is listed for sale.

Sure not all realtors are perfect, but the licensing and background check is at least a decent layer of security.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Why not just licence and track the home buyers too then? Also, I imagine virtually every complaint is ignored because of the he-said-she-said scenario. If I say that a showing realtor or their clients damaged/stole something from my house, it would be impossible to prove and I am sure they don't just bend over and pay up. Everyone that has damaged things in my house over the years has been licensed, bonded, and insured and it was literally impossible to get a single penny out of them.

You didn't reply to my open house point - random people literally walk in off the street, don't have to sign in or give any personal information, and proceed to have free reign of a stranger's house and all their belongings - that is much worse than a random person booking a showing and having their data logged. Any complaints or accusations made would be pure hearsay and the homeowner would be SOL as usual.

What would the point of that be? They would just say they didn't do it and the homeowner wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The homeowner isn't going to have before/after photos of every inch of the house and even then you could just say they were photoshopped or whatever else.
    You guys are complaining about costs, are you going to pay yearly fees to be licensed, tracked, insured.

Having an open house is optional and a good realtor should be alert and present at all times.

It sounds like you have had some really bad experiences with some shitty realtors.

You should always report someone.

You guys are complaining about costs, are you going to pay yearly fees to be licensed, tracked, insured.

Having an open house is optional and a good realtor should be alert and present at all times.

It sounds like you have had some really bad experiences with some shitty realtors.

You should always report someone.
    I think it would be completely fine for a home buyer to pay a reasonable fee to be licensed, etc. and held accountable (but not really) for any damage done to the home during a private showing. There would be absolutely no difference in that scenario to a realtor going in.

I dunno, I've easily been in over 100 open houses over the years and not one single hosting realtor has left the kitchen. Also, if you allow more than one person in the house, you can't follow everyone around. It's impossible to keep an eye on all the randoms filtering through. The most attentive realtor in the world can't be in 2 places at once, so it makes no difference. So, you can't really argue that letting randoms have private showings is a huge liability but allowing more than 1 person into an open house at a time is not.

So far the only issues we've had (that we know of) have been people wearing dirty shoes on the carpet.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I think it would be completely fine for a home buyer to pay a reasonable fee to be licensed, etc. and held accountable (but not really) for any damage done to the home during a private showing. There would be absolutely no difference in that scenario to a realtor going in.

I dunno, I've easily been in over 100 open houses over the years and not one single hosting realtor has left the kitchen. Also, if you allow more than one person in the house, you can't follow everyone around. It's impossible to keep an eye on all the randoms filtering through. The most attentive realtor in the world can't be in 2 places at once, so it makes no difference. So, you can't really argue that letting randoms have private showings is a huge liability but allowing more than 1 person into an open house at a time is not.

So far the only issues we've had (that we know of) have been people wearing dirty shoes on the carpet.
    Go get your license then and pay to stay active. Simple.

My Ride
    E46 M3

How economical is it to get your own realtor license to buy your own home?
    After the initial course fees, what do the annual dues/fees look like? Trying to see what they are through googling but hard to nail down a number for brokerages.
    Last edited by The BMW Guy; 10-03-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Go get your license then and pay to stay active. Simple.
    I'm not talking about a full realtor license, just one that would provide the necessary dog & pony show to create an illusion of accountability so people can privately book showings. Once you have found a home you like, then you can engage other services to close the deal if necessary. That should at least be an option for people IMO.

Like I said above, by far the biggest liability is open houses with more than 1 person in them at a time, which is literally every open house I've ever been in. I fail to see any difference whatsoever between that scenario or a complete random booking a showing in a home without a realtor present, other than the fact that people in open houses don't even have to sign in.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I'm not talking about a full realtor license, just one that would provide the necessary dog & pony show to create an illusion of accountability so people can privately book showings. Once you have found a home you like, then you can engage other services to close the deal if necessary.

Like I said above, by far the biggest liability open houses with more than 1 person in them at a time, which is literally every open house I've ever been in. I fail to see any difference whatsoever between that scenario or a complete random booking a showing in a home without a realtor present.
    Shouldn’t anyone that wants these privileges have to go through the same education?

Like any license it requires knowledge, an exam, and a pass showing you understand what you are being licensed for.

Shouldn’t anyone that wants these privileges have to go through the same education?

Like any license it requires knowledge, an exam, and a pass showing you understand what you are being licensed for.
    Why does someone need to take a course to open a lock box and view a home? Why should letting someone view a home you're trying to sell be a special privilege? I do professional real estate photography and 9/10 times I am in the house alone - I know how to open a lock box and turn on/off lights without taking a class. These people would just be viewing potential homes they want to buy themselves, not selling them to other people. The only thing that matters is that they are accountable for anything that happens while they're there, which we all know they wouldn't be, but having paid a small fee to be licensed/registered as a home "viewer" or whatever would be plenty. At least then you would know who was in the home last, unlike an open house where nobody has a clue who you are.

Again, if you're going to argue that letting randoms books showings is a huge liability, but in the same breath say that an open house with more than 1 person in it is fine, it can't be both.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I feel this got lost in the realtor defending his specialty discussion, but booking your own showings, without a realtor, is already a thing...

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

In all honesty the selling realtor should just do the tour. They’re already making a huge commission it should be part of their job

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    In all honesty the selling realtor should just do the tour. They’re already making a huge commission it should be part of their job
    When I sold my first house I thought this was how it worked actually, I was genuinely surprised to learn it wasn't. Originally I thought that was a big part of what you were paying for, but now I understand that you are basically paying for traffic and good marketing.

I can see both sides of it though - on one hand the potential buyer wants to be able to speak freely and point out any concerns, without the pressure of a selling realtor there who wouldn't have their best interest in mind. On the other hand, without the seller or selling realtor present, the potential buyers end up making wild assumptions, some of which may rule out your home in their eyes for something that isn't even an issue, and you never get an opportunity to explain or defend the perceived issue to put their mind at ease.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I think for those that feel it’s so easy to list and sell yourself should just do it haha.

You have all the resources available to you that allows it.

There is no monopoly.

My Ride
    ute

All of these services provided by realtors aren't without value.

The problem is they probably cost way, way too much. Realtors are useful, just a bad value usually.

This new data and other technologies over time will figure out how to chip away at the margins. Let the market determine how much value they put on the various realtor activities.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So I don’t think someone should be allowed to look at a house alone, that’s stupid. But I don’t see why a selling realtor doesn’t have that responsibility to earn their commission

But I seriously don’t think a buying realtor should have a place in the system anymore. I view them like travel agents; if you want one go ahead and use it but don’t punish the people willing to put in leg work.

A proper house inspector will find more issues with a home than a realtor will and a lawyer will provide better value to review the legal side of things and/or provide info on the reserve fund if applicable.

I’d much rather save the embedded cost of a buying realtor and expect to view more houses and pay a inspector multiple times to see a few houses as that’d still come out cheaper.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast