Quantcast
Ordered a 2019 Toyota Rav4, will be getting a 2020 instead but have to pay $700 more - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordered a 2019 Toyota Rav4, will be getting a 2020 instead but have to pay $700 more

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Default Ordered a 2019 Toyota Rav4, will be getting a 2020 instead but have to pay $700 more

Ordered a 2019 Rav4 this past June, paid a $5k deposit and negotiated a good price below MSRP. Was told vehicle would arrive around September, fast forward to today and we still don't have a VIN# and Toyota has moved onto building 2020's now. Toyota has increased the MSRP price by $700 for the same trim and dealership wants to charge me the extra $700 which I disagree with since it is Toyota's fault they could not fulfill the 2019 order before 2020 production. From what I've read on the RAV4 forum, at least a few people said their dealerships maintained the original agreed upon price for the 2019 (without having to dispute it).

Anyone been in a similar situation? Do I have a shot at fighting the $700 off?
    Last edited by gyu; 10-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yeah, I'd say so. Escalate to general manager or higher if you need to. Don't waste time with someone if you're just spinning wheels.

If you ordered since June, and expected it in Sept, it's past October now man.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

yeah that's bullshit, they're the ones delaying it, they're the ones who are braking the agreement, no way you should be paying for it. Keep going up, hell i'd even give corporate a call if you cant get anything done at the dealership level.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks it is BS. The salesperson told me that it is the general sales manager who said I need to pay the $700.

Absolutely they should pay it, and I'm sure you are giving them a lot more than $700 in pure profit anyway.

I'd walk from the deal if I were you and buy a 2020 from a different dealership. Or watch them instantly become your best friend when you threaten to walk. Hopefully you can get your deposit back because their side of the deal completely changed.

Start inquiring about how to get out of the deal entirely and I bet that $700 disappears. Then do go a different dealer anyway because that is shady AF.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

That is bollocks.
    Read the details of the contract you signed and see if there is any clause for them to do this. Its a scare tactic if anything.
    If thats all good and they wont budge, walk away.
    Sales are slow on the Toyota side, so they will want you business.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'd start calling or emailing other dealerships and explain the situation and basically see if they'll price match what you already have negotiated to pick up a easy sale. Then refuse to pay the difference and ask for your deposit back.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Looking at it more rationally, RAV4's sell like hotcakes. Looking at the 2019 vs 2020 prices it's the Hybrid Limited AWD model that you went for with the $700 difference. That's their most popular model. From their perspective, they don't really need the sale. You go elsewhere and you'll get the same price (I'd do it for the satisfaction if they won't bend over for $700). Clearly all the 2019's were long gone (assuming you wanted some exact spec that wasn't available) you're not getting it. The 2020's are set for retail release in October, so they've long been building 2020's.

On the bright side, Android auto in 2020's if you're on Android. Great choice, I've driven the Hybrid a couple times, really loved it. Wanted to get this for the MIL a couple years ago.

There's nothing in the contract that's enforceable. It's for a 2019 which isn't available. They're not forced to sell a 2020 at the same price.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Looking at it more rationally, RAV4's sell like hotcakes. Looking at the 2019 vs 2020 prices it's the Hybrid Limited AWD model that you went for with the $700 difference. That's their most popular model. From their perspective, they don't really need the sale. You go elsewhere and you'll get the same price (I'd do it for the satisfaction if they won't bend over for $700). Clearly all the 2019's were long gone (assuming you wanted some exact spec that wasn't available) you're not getting it. The 2020's are set for retail release in October, so they've long been building 2020's.

On the bright side, Android auto in 2020's if you're on Android. Great choice, I've driven the Hybrid a couple times, really loved it. Wanted to get this for the MIL a couple years ago.

There's nothing in the contract that's enforceable. It's for a 2019 which isn't available. They're not forced to sell a 2020 at the same price.
    It's the XSE that I ordered which I don't think is as popular as the Limited but also doesn't seem like Toyota is much of them. In addition to your points, another concern is having to restart our position in the queue if we walked away and went elsewhere. I could potentially have to wait another 5+ months.

Its a Rav4. Aren't there like a million on the lots come October? Does it really need to be ordered?

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Its a Rav4. Aren't there like a million on the lots come October? Does it really need to be ordered?
    Toyota really stepped it up with the new gen hybrids. Better than the gas models in every way (more power, way more fuel efficient, projector headlights for only about $1,400 more over the gas model). Gas models are plentiful but hybrids are not due to battery shortages and also demand for the hybrid is up in North America 147% in July 2019 over July 2018 https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...ly-2019-sales/

to give you an idea on the demand-supply situation.
    Last edited by gyu; 10-11-2019 at 03:02 PM. Reason: correction

If they took an order in June for a 2019 model they must have been trying to source it from another dealership. It seems odd that Toyota be building 2019's in June to me.

If it were me I'd just ask for my 5k back since they didn't deliver the vehicle and take the chance they just return it instead of giving the $700 off. I don't think you will be waiting in a queue for the 2020's since they are building them now and the dealerships should have them on the lot unless you are looking for something very specific.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

when i ordered my GTI years back, they were no longer were selling 2011 models and the factory was starting the switch over.
    I ordered a 2012 using 2011 prices (2012 prices had not been released yet), MSRP went up $1200, i paid based on what was written up on the 2011. I fully expected them to pass along the increase so was happy they did not.

I'd fight it.

My Ride
    golfR

Quote Originally Posted by gyu View Post
    Ordered a 2019 Rav4 this past June, paid a $5k deposit and negotiated a good price below MSRP. Was told vehicle would arrive around September, fast forward to today and we still don't have a VIN# and Toyota has moved onto building 2020's now. Toyota has increased the MSRP price by $700 for the same trim and dealership wants to charge me the extra $700 which I disagree with since it is Toyota's fault they could not fulfill the 2019 order before 2020 production. From what I've read on the RAV4 forum, at least a few people said their dealerships maintained the original agreed upon price for the 2019 (without having to dispute it).

Anyone been in a similar situation? Do I have a shot at fighting the $700 off?
    Same thing happened to my parents a while back. Ordered a 2014 Highlander in May and put down a deposit and was told they'll take delivery in a week or two. Date went by and past and we kept following it up and they keep telling us it's coming. Then around September they said it's ready to be picked up but it's no longer the 2014 and they're now on the 2015s and are charging us more. Told them that wasn't the agreed upon price and if they can't keep it then we just want our deposit back. During the conversation the sales guy told me that it's a very high demand vehicle and we won't be able to get the 2015 at the negotiated 2014 price. I told him that it's even better for them since the moment we cancel the sale and get our deposit back they'll be able to sell the vehicle pretty quick. An hour later they told us they'll honour the agreed upon price and gave us a 2015 based on the negotiated 2014 price.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

They aren't screwing you over, as long as they'll permit you to cancel the deal and give your deposit back. This happens and it's not always the dealerships fault. You are free to shop around now.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I won't even waste my time. Take the deposit back and shop somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by chongkee_ View Post
    Same thing happened to my parents a while back. Ordered a 2014 Highlander in May and put down a deposit and was told they'll take delivery in a week or two. Date went by and past and we kept following it up and they keep telling us it's coming. Then around September they said it's ready to be picked up but it's no longer the 2014 and they're now on the 2015s and are charging us more. Told them that wasn't the agreed upon price and if they can't keep it then we just want our deposit back. During the conversation the sales guy told me that it's a very high demand vehicle and we won't be able to get the 2015 at the negotiated 2014 price. I told him that it's even better for them since the moment we cancel the sale and get our deposit back they'll be able to sell the vehicle pretty quick. An hour later they told us they'll honour the agreed upon price and gave us a 2015 based on the negotiated 2014 price.

I would do this same thing. Don't fall for the shit the salesperson tells you.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I will pay $700 for a newer model year..

Put it this way, the resell value for 2020 will be better than 2019 for sure, say a 2015 and 2016 RAV4 for sale, even same km, but $700 difference, which one would you buy?

By the way, if you are talking the Hybrid, there is a big shortage and huge demand for Hybrid vehicles from Toyota/Lexus now... most models been sold out for months!

I am sure if you want to take your deposit back, no problem, but I doubt you can get extra $700 off on a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid, and expect a long waiting time.
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Drayton Valley Toyota has a Hybrid XSE 2019 in stock on their site.

Have you tried emailing other stores around AB?

My Ride
    V8s

I agree that in principle the dealer is dicking you around... but $700 on a $40k car? I'd threaten to walk and if they didn't budge, probably just pay the money for the newer car. Not worth the headache, and potential of winding up on another wait list.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast