Quantcast
Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017 - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who is getting your vote for Mayor?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nenshi

94 44.76%
  • Bill Smith

96 45.71%
  • Chabot

7 3.33%
  • Other

13 6.19%
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017

My Ride
    Highlander

Why don't people realize that in most cases, every city council vote is equal? Nenshi has veto power if there's a tie, but stop worrying SO much about the figure head and research your alderman too.

Originally posted by suntan
    The thinking was that bikers would go south into the U of C, but the west end of the U of C is a mess so no one goes that way. Not even cars go on the west side of the U of C because of all the construction.

Also all the richy-rich faculty live south of the U of C.

That road is so quiet that the city removed the lights on the overpass.
    Ok so that is about 10 bikes that may choose that route so who else was this planned for

I love how the medians are so big that if you're driving a truck you have to hug the edge of the lane so you don't hit them. There is about 3 inches of clearance if you drive an f150 centered in the lane, any movement off centre and you'll hit the median.

Originally posted by J-hop

Ok so that is about 10 bikes that may choose that route so who else was this planned for

I love how the medians are so big that if you're driving a truck you have to hug the edge of the lane so you don't hit them. There is about 3 inches of clearance if you drive an f150 centered in the lane, any movement off centre and you'll hit the median.
    Each of the NB and SB lanes is at least 10 feet wide - now I agree that the Northland situation is a ridiculous mess but if you have an F150 that is 9'6" wide, then you've done some pretty serious modifications to it.

Originally posted by speedog

Each of the NB and SB lanes is at least 10 feet wide - now I agree that the Northland situation is a ridiculous mess but if you have an F150 that is 9'6" wide, then you've done some pretty serious modifications to it.
    Nope right lane is not full width where the medians are. Go take a look the medians are covered in black marks

Not saying it made any sense, just outlining what the motive was.

Honest truth is that all this bike infrastructure has done nothing to increase ridership. I guess it's made existing cyclists happier but putting in anything would've helped with that.

Not saying it made any sense, just outlining what the motive was.

Honest truth is that all this bike infrastructure has done nothing to increase ridership. I guess it's made existing cyclists happier but putting in anything would've helped with that.
    Yea I agree with you was poking fun at druh's logic

As I've stated before, Kerr the delusional bike dude has financial benefit pushing bike infrastructure. I'm sure he even doesn't believe all the BS he spews but if he started being reasonable he would start losing $$.

Nope right lane is not full width where the medians are. Go take a look the medians are covered in black marks
    Happened to be up there at Northland today and lo and behold, both through lanes in both directions are at least 10 feet wide. Scuff marks are most likely from CTS buses getting in and out of the far right lanes where their stops are but even they fit in one lane. Any F150's I saw easily fit in the lanes and had more than 3 inches on either side.

To this end, there's a Google Streetview picture from 2015 with what appears to be a 2005 or so Ford Ranger in it - that truck is around 67 inches wide (body width)and there's plenty of lane left for it. A 2016 Ford F150 s 97 inches wide with the mirrors extended which would still leave 23 inches of room in a 10 foot lane and the Google Streetview picture appears to show that both lanes are pretty much the same width.

I'd like to see the Ford F150 that only has 3 inches of room on either side in those lanes.

Now I'm not trying to be a dick but be realistic when making a statement. Is Northland Drive fucked up, hell ya. Could it be worse, hell ya, look at 12th Avenue - that is truly painful.

Whether we like it or not, bike lanes are here to stay but better implementation of them has to be done and where they are is important as well. Northland is the wrong place and 12th Avenue was implemented wrong.
    Last edited by speedog; 05-20-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Originally posted by Type_S1
    As I've stated before, Kerr the delusional bike dude has financial benefit pushing bike infrastructure. I'm sure he even doesn't believe all the BS he spews but if he started being reasonable he would start losing $$.
    What's his financial gain? I missed that.

Last edited by J-hop; 05-21-2017 at 03:43 PM.

What's his financial gain? I missed that.
    He will not disclose his financial interest but rest assured there is ine. I've called him out before on beyond and he went silent afterwards. He either works for the COC directly on the project or is high up in the retard bike advocacy group making $$ while pushing this stuff.

No logical and sane person would put so much effort in to defending something that has been so flawed with poor decisions made at every turn. It's his job plain and simple.

Originally posted by Type_S1

He will not disclose his financial interest but rest assured there is ine.
    No, there really isn't.

I've called him out before on beyond and he went silent afterwards.
    You're not going to accept me saying I don't have anything to do with the city or bike organizations, so why would I continue?

He either works for the COC directly on the project or is high up in the retard bike advocacy group making $$ while pushing this stuff.
    How much money do you think there is in this stuff?

No logical and sane person would put so much effort in to defending something that has been so flawed with poor decisions made at every turn. It's his job plain and simple.
    Yet it would seem weird that my position is not in line with the bike groups, who dislike Northland because it still has car-first turn priority and wasn't segregated from buses, and didn't remove entrances to the mall creating more situations for 'interactions' with cars.

Bike Calgary and the other bike advocacy groups do want these lanes to be better...by making things purposefully worse for cars. Not a byproduct, not part of mode-sharing, but that a necessary aspect of improving bicycle infrastructure is to inhibit the mobility of cars as much as possible, especially in a case like Northland (they have priority turn signals, MADNESS!).

So when you have people talking about "flawless" systems they're the delusional ones, because nobody has the same idea of what flawless is, and most of the time the ideas conflict with each other.

So multiple news stories out this morning regarding a report that recommended that the mayor's salary be rolled back 6% - no big deal as I see it but I am amused that the news articles all point to Nenshi being affected when in fact, he may not even be our mayor come this fall election. Such dumb news reporting.
    Will fuck off, again.

A CBC news article on some of the 2017 mayor hopefuls - interesting that the CBC did not bother to include Larry Heather in their list, link to news article.

For your continued entertainment???

http://www.larryforcalgary.ca/

A shipper/receiver and audio editor by profession - well, he'd probably be quite a treat to work with.

Three month bump... other candidates not yet listed, not sure if any dropped out.

Bill Smith http://www.billsmithformayor.ca/

David Tremblay http://www.onecalgary.org/

Dr. Emile Gabriel http://www.dr-egj.ca

If there is a large pool of people, I feel the election will likely favor the incumbent.

Interesting read: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...ncil-1.4259271

Wonder if Nenshi and Farrell will be re-elected?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Lol @ Tremblay's "Ban" list. Also Dr.Emile needs to hire someone a more competent web designer, that splash page is terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Three month bump... other candidates not yet listed, not sure if any dropped out.

Bill Smith http://www.billsmithformayor.ca/

David Tremblay http://www.onecalgary.org/

Dr. Emile Gabriel http://www.dr-egj.ca

If there is a large pool of people, I feel the election will likely favor the incumbent.
    Wow, Tremblay has quite a to do list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting read: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...ncil-1.4259271

Wonder if Nenshi and Farrell will be re-elected?
    Most likely.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

There doesn't seem to be much media buzz on the election at all, let alone any serious contenders.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast