Quantcast
What US State to buy Winter Home? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What US State to buy Winter Home?

My Ride
    V8s

Default What US State to buy Winter Home?

My parents have a house on the big island of Hawaii where they spend ~5 months a year, but they are thinking about selling it and buying something on the mainland. They like the climate (same weather every day) and slow pace. They are getting tired of the long flight there, and also want to be at a place that they'll see my family more often than once per winter (i.e. a place I could take my wife and kid for a long weekend, Hawaii obvi doesn't fit that bill).

Things they want:
    - Warm winter (i.e. pacific NW, Utah, other nice northern places are out)
    - Short-ish flight from Calgary, direct flight is a must (i.e. Florida and Georgia are out)
    - Easily accessible lake fishing (dad is a big fisherman, but it's too much of a production for him to take his boat out in Hawaii, and obviously there's not lakes there)
    - Reasonably easy access to crown land/wilderness (dad wants to be able to take side-by-sides out and rip around w/ family)
    - Not desert (would be nice for my mom to have a garden that's more than just rocks)
    - Pool, or at least located in gated community that has a pool/other amenities

I was thinking they should look somewhere near San Diego, but that may not be great for lake fishing. Scottsdale is also on the list, but winters can be pretty chilly there and no garden. Somewhere in Texas is a likely possibility (San Antonio, Austin). Also for consideration, they aren't "old". Dad is 59, Mom 62, so they aren't looking for a retirement community.

So, Beyond, tell me where they should move.

My Ride
    *The First*

I was going to buy in San Diego years ago but once I attended one of those seminars on US property ownership for Canadians, it was an easy decision to say "hard no!"
    Have you already considered all the complications and hurdles with owning US property?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to buy in San Diego years ago but once I attended one of those seminars on US property ownership for Canadians, it was an easy decision to say "hard no!"
    Have you already considered all the complications and hurdles with owning US property?
    His parents already own US property and are looking to own somewhere more convenient.

Says so in the opening of his post.

My Ride
    V8s

Ya, they've owned the Hawaii house for almost 10 years. The question is not if, it's where.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Aside from the no desert part I’d say Phoenix or a city on the outskirts would be perfect. My parents had a place in Mesa for a while and it’s exactly what you are describing. Always nice weather, everyone is quite chill and life does not move fast there, cheap direct flights from here. Lots of places have a pool, if she wants a garden you’d just have to water it lots is all. And I’m sure you could find somewhere to fish

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

My vote would be Cali, on the coast somewhere between SanFran and LA. The closer to Big Sur, the better.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Ya, they've owned the Hawaii house for almost 10 years. The question is not if, it's where.
    Oops. I'm sorry. I misread and thought they already had one and you were considering it.
    Reading >> Me on this one!

Not sure on the flight status, but South Carolina would be nice

My Ride
    Pushbroom

California looks nice at first, but the taxes there are obscene. Especially in the desert, (think Coachella valley.) not to mention it’s leftist liberal wingnut ground zero. There’s thousands of Californians leaving the state in droves right now for a reason.

My folks settled on southern Arizona (Tucson) because of the low taxes, amazing weather, and cheap cost of living, especially if you’re retired on a fixed income.

My Ride
    V8s

Cheap cost of living is secondary to the right location. Not fixed income/retired. If they were going to go desert, it would be Arizona; the advantage of Cali would be being nearer the coast, temperate climate, humidity, etc.

SC is east coast, so its a little far, and it's a little too cold (they'll rarely/never be there in the summer and winter avg temp is like 16*c).

Happy to see more suggestions if anyone has them!

My Ride
    ute

You're basically going to have to give up on one or more of those priorities.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You're basically going to have to give up on one or more of those priorities.
    Haha, that was where we got to in the discussion, and the reason I posted the thread. Was hoping someone would tell me about this place at the end of a rainbow that we couldn't think of that meets all the criteria.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I think no desert and short flight already killed 80% of destinations.

Anything east of Texas are not short flights, some requires connection.

Anything north of AZ are not warm.

Basically if it's warm, it's a desert in the west until you hit the pacific coast.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-17-2019 at 08:27 AM.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I like Austin.

I'm in Decatur, Georgia now, I can'y believe how cheap the homes/land prices are. Between the climate and proximity to several beach destinations (within driving distance), it's great. Yes, no direct flights, but it's still never more than a 1 hour layover in Denver or Minneapolis.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    My parents have a house on the big island of Hawaii where they spend ~5 months a year, but they are thinking about selling it and buying something on the mainland. They like the climate (same weather every day) and slow pace. They are getting tired of the long flight there, and also want to be at a place that they'll see my family more often than once per winter (i.e. a place I could take my wife and kid for a long weekend, Hawaii obvi doesn't fit that bill).

Things they want:
    - Warm winter (i.e. pacific NW, Utah, other nice northern places are out)
    - Short-ish flight from Calgary, direct flight is a must (i.e. Florida and Georgia are out)
    - Easily accessible lake fishing (dad is a big fisherman, but it's too much of a production for him to take his boat out in Hawaii, and obviously there's not lakes there)
    - Reasonably easy access to crown land/wilderness (dad wants to be able to take side-by-sides out and rip around w/ family)
    - Not desert (would be nice for my mom to have a garden that's more than just rocks)
    - Pool, or at least located in gated community that has a pool/other amenities

I was thinking they should look somewhere near San Diego, but that may not be great for lake fishing. Scottsdale is also on the list, but winters can be pretty chilly there and no garden. Somewhere in Texas is a likely possibility (San Antonio, Austin). Also for consideration, they aren't "old". Dad is 59, Mom 62, so they aren't looking for a retirement community.

So, Beyond, tell me where they should move.
    Vegas. Anything on that list you can't do can be faked. Fishing, Lake Mead. Gardening is probably your toughest one, googling shows that you can have a non desert like garden in Vegas, but it takes twice the effort than anywhere else, and life expectancy of plants are halved due to the heat.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I think Palm Springs hits most of those requirements...

- Warm winter (i.e. pacific NW, Utah, other nice northern places are out)---Check
    - Short-ish flight from Calgary, direct flight is a must (i.e. Florida and Georgia are out)---2.5 hours, 3-4 daily non stop flights from Calgary
    - Easily accessible lake fishing---Maybe a few hours drive, I do believe there are a few mountain streams etc towards Idlywild and San Diego. This is the only point where Im not 100% on.
    - Reasonably easy access to crown land/wilderness---Tons of Desert Area, and sand dunes trails etc. Glamis is fairly close, lots of other trails even closer.
    - Not desert--While technically in the desert, most homes/communities are quite lush. Lots of fruit trees etc around.
    - Pool, or at least located in gated community that has a pool/other amenities---Be hard pressed to find an area without pools there..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    I'm in Decatur, Georgia now
    You can get direct flights to Atlanta from Calgary.

My Ride
    Lariat

You are describing Scottsdale to a tee, minus the desert part.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Vietnam, or I mean Houston
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Vegas.
    x2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast