Quantcast
Bike build and maintenance - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike build and maintenance

My Ride
    rally pig

^agree

For regular commuting I run Continental Ultra Sport II for 25$ a tire as there wouldn't be any noticeable gain on my under 20km commute other than making my wallet lighter.
    If I were to run on a race, then I would consider the GP4000 for sure.

I ride 25mm rear on my road for a softer ride.
    Likewise on my hybrid, I run 28mm in the summer and 32mm or 35mm during fall/winter.
    Benefit going smaller was slight save on weight, otherwise I can't perceive any difference between 28mm or 32mm.

Yea it could just be too much noise but my estimates show when I went from my slower 32mm continental pro contact to my 28mm gatorskins I saw a 2kph increase in average speed from 28kph to 30kph over my 21km commute. That translated to a 3 minute time difference or in distance it means when I arrive I’m 1.4km ahead of my previous setup.

So many variables so it’s possible it was something else, but I sure noticed a difference

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That table shows under a 4 minute savings on an 182km ride, I don't think it matters for most of us.
    so much for my KOM

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Yea it could just be too much noise but my estimates show when I went from my slower 32mm continental pro contact to my 28mm gatorskins I saw a 2kph increase in average speed from 28kph to 30kph over my 21km commute. That translated to a 3 minute time difference or in distance it means when I arrive I’m 1.4km ahead of my previous setup.

So many variables so it’s possible it was something else, but I sure noticed a difference
    Havent been timing myself in a while but last time I checked on my 15-20min commute ride (7-10km) difference between my road and hybrid bike was minimal, maybe 30-40seconds difference if even lol, but this is on a fairly flat ride.

if there was an uphill portion, then my 2x10 road bike will be faster than my heavier 1x10 hybrid

My Ride
    Wankels!

I've been running 28mm gatorskins for the past 7000km or so. Bought them last year for Maui and haven't taken them off since. For a training/commuter tire they;'re tough to beat given their puncture protection, comfort, and reasonable rolling resistance. I just bought a set of GP4000S in 25mm to drop rolling resistance though. The 28mm tires will go onto my heavier training wheels.
    Another nice thing about the gatorskins is they don't seem to suffer much in performance when you start dropping tire pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    I've been running 28mm gatorskins for the past 7000km or so. Bought them last year for Maui and haven't taken them off since. For a training/commuter tire they;'re tough to beat given their puncture protection, comfort, and reasonable rolling resistance. I just bought a set of GP4000S in 25mm to drop rolling resistance though. The 28mm tires will go onto my heavier training wheels.
    Another nice thing about the gatorskins is they don't seem to suffer much in performance when you start dropping tire pressure.
    What do you normally run yours at? I am running mine a little over 105, I think the max is something like 115. Major difference may have been going from a tire with max pressure of 85 (ran them right at the max) up to ~105 ish

Edit: I guess it depends quite a bit on rider weight. I’m a hefty 195
    Last edited by J-hop; 08-21-2018 at 03:51 PM.

My Ride
    07 997TT

I put conti 4000s 28mm on my cx and have gotten 2 flats this year. It made a big diff from the 33mm knobby tires that came stock.
    The used road bike I bought had new 23mm gatorskins on them and have had 0 flats. Could just be luck but the puncture protection seems to be better.

I’m don’t notice a diff in general. Don’t have enough time in the saddle to notice on my short commute if one is noticeably better than the other

I run 28mm Gatorskins on my everyday bike at about 80PSI. Knock on wood but no flats so far. I like the Rubino Pros a little bit more in terms of feel but for the distances I ride, it doesn't make much of a difference.
    My beater bike has Ultra Sport 2's which have been shockingly decent considering how cheap their are.

My Ride
    Wankels!

What do you normally run yours at? I am running mine a little over 105, I think the max is something like 115. Major difference may have been going from a tire with max pressure of 85 (ran them right at the max) up to ~105 ish

I'm 162lbs and run them at around 85psi. I've run them at higher pressures and find that all you gain is discomfort.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I've had really bad luck with Conti GP4000S. After 3 flats in IM Canada last year on a brand new set - I've moved away from them on most of my road bikes, and I'm running tubeless with either Hutchinson Fusions or Schwalbe Pro Ones. I have not had a flat since.

I think that's way to high of a pressure. I'm heavier than you and on 25s I run about 95 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    I think that's way to high of a pressure. I'm heavier than you and on 25s I run about 95 psi.
    Could be but it feels very comfortable and fast. I guess I do carry a pack that weighs over 20lbs for sure with my laptop, lunch, bike lock, gym shoes, workout clothes and sometimes around 500ml of water so I’m fairly heavy total

I always run a pretty high tire pressure for whatever reason it feels more comfortable and crisp. Over 10,000kms over the last 3 years and the only flat I’ve ever got was when a piece of glass punctured and stuck in my old tires.

What would be a potential downside of running too high? Traction seems good, I was a bit worried as it felt like it could be a bit squirrelly but went out to my usual training road (very steep and hard corners) and on my second day got back to and surpassed my previous top speed for that road so doesn’t seem like that’s an issue
    Last edited by J-hop; 08-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Potential downside? It could actually be slower on rougher rode than running a lower pressure as you have more deflection upwards instead of the tire absorbing small bumps. that's really about it I think.

Running higher pressure gives the illusion of going fast, but in reality its slower.

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    Running higher pressure gives the illusion of going fast, but in reality its slower.
    Is there actually data for that on normal asphalt? I can definitely see on broken/really bumpy stuff but I would think on normal asphalt the common rule applies: higher tire pressure=lower rolling resistance.

Is there actually data for that on normal asphalt? I can definitely see on broken/really bumpy stuff but I would think on normal asphalt the common rule applies: higher tire pressure=lower rolling resistance.
    You apply the same principles, but rather than bumps you notice, they're small bumps that still have a small effect on the rolling resistance you don't notice as much.
    When tire companies test rolling resistance in a lab, it's often done on a drum that simulates asphalt and compare it to a completely smooth drum. So I think it still applies.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Probably one of the better comparisons on rolling resistance - GP 4000S II in 23/25/28mm: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...0s-ii-23-25-28
    28mm has lower rolling resistance than 25mm and 23mm, though the test setup used does show slightly higher rolling resistance as pressure drops on all tires. There is also mention of the aerodynamic advantage of a narrower tire.

Velonews did a rolling resistance test once with gravel bikes and found that a lower tire pressure = lower rolling resistance (to a certain limit, of course). https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/fro...-gravel_468329

I would think that this should extrapolate to road tires somewhat unless you are on the velodrome / near perfect roads. Personally I like the fact that I can be more comfortable on a 28mm tire at 80psi and have the same rolling resistance as a the same 23mm tire at a ridiculous 120psi.

Yea GCN did a test with similar results but they were also on broken/very rough pavement and gravel

This testing seems to refute the idea that lower pressure = faster on smooth surfaces.

I’d be interested to see if there are any road results. It’s certainlu quite a bit different riding on gravel vs average asphalt. On average asphalt you aren’t moving up and down in my empirical experience, not like gravel biking at least. I would think any energy in the vertical direction is getting eaten up by your frame. That being said it’s a lot different riding on asphalt vs a drum

https://www.velonews.com/2014/12/bik...istance_355085

Regardless though when I do the math based on schwalbe’s rough guideline for rider+luggage weight I’m within 3 pounds of their recommended pressure so I don’t think I’m too out to lunch? I actually find at 105 it’s way more comfortable than 85. When I sprint I don’t feel like my tire is flexing under each stroke and cornering I don’t ever get the sense the tire is folding.

Might try playing with pressure next week. As I mentioned I saw a 2 kph average speed increase, but that could come from a handful of variables between the two tires

on a completely smooth surface, higher tire pressure is better.
    It's when you have these small bumps where there's a difference. The Velonews article says they found the same conclusion

On rough surfaces, however, a tire at lower pressure is able to absorb more of the bumps than a tire at higher pressure, with less deflection of the bike and its rider. This is the same “sprung vs. un-sprung weight” argument that demonstrates why suspension makes a bicycle faster on rough terrain — it takes less energy to keep the bike rolling if only a small amount of weight is lifted (like a small section of the tire) than if the entire bike and rider is lifted by the bump.
    Guess "rough surface" is subjective. If you're used to riding on freshly paved tarmac vs a bike path, the bike path would be considered a rough surface. If you're riding on rollers vs freshly paved tarmac, then the tarmac will be considered rough.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

So to summarize...what psi should i run my tires at on most road/pathway conditions. 170 lbs. 25 mm on roadie, 30s on commuter

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast