Quantcast
Hong Kong vs China 2019 - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong vs China 2019

My Ride
    370Z duhh

I just watched some dude drive his newer Audi slowly through a protest, the driver got out and didn't seem violent, in guessing he just wanted to go home, the protestors were trying to physically assualt him and were at the same time trashing his car.

The violent protesters are definitely ruining it.....
    But I believe that their ultimate goal is to get China to react violently. This is really sad as most of my family lives in Hong Kong. My father is from there and he agrees with the original intent of the protests. My personal view is if the US can't turn around their country, China (and Russia) will do whatever the hell they want.

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just watched some dude drive his newer Audi slowly through a protest, the driver got out and didn't seem violent, in guessing he just wanted to go home, the protestors were trying to physically assualt him and were at the same time trashing his car.

But I believe that their ultimate goal is to get China to react violently. This is really sad as most of my family lives in Hong Kong. My father is from there and he agrees with the original intent of the protests. My personal view is if the US can't turn around their country, China (and Russia) will do whatever the hell they want.

escalating the situation what they want, ultimately violence begets violence.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post

China will do sit and watch and wait until everyone will be pro China to get some peace. Just looking at last few posts, it seems to be working.

There is also hints that some of these are funded by CIA.

Regardless, the exodus started in HK again and urgency just got sped up by riots.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-05-2019 at 09:11 PM.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

This?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/831645...7802786615249/

It is just one of the many violence video..

They burn the police station and police vehicles too ...
    Last edited by C4S; 08-06-2019 at 01:12 AM.
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Silverado

I hope Canada is pushing a bunch of money and resources into these protests.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Why would we care? Its literally the other side of the world. Its not like we would get more cheese if Hong Kong gained independence (from Britain, or from China) Would China invest in having Alberta separate from Canada? Maybe, but it seems like an awful waste of money for tertiary benefit at best.

What China should have done: Written in a clause that it would come under French rule 99 years from now, on the requirement that it come under Chinese rule after that. There is no doubt to me that Hong Kong is not strong enough to stand on its own.

Canada US trade $600 Billion, Canada Hong Kong trade $3 Billion (very optimistic)
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-06-2019 at 05:26 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Unless JT can insta-post that shit. Why would he care?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

We are already in shit for Meng and talks just restarted. I doubt JT will do anything with election so close.

That said, CSIS is becoming more like CIA these days.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...n-threats.html

Looks like China is going to win this one too. The more trade war escalates, HK matters less and less.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-06-2019 at 08:37 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

It's hard to gauge from all the stuff floating around. It almost looks as bad as when a black guy gets killed by a white cop in the states. I agree with the merit to fight for democracy but I don't agree with the execution of violent protest. You lose my support once you turn violent with no regard of other people's lives. What's the point of democracy if the price is chaos. It's all so sad. I feel sorry for the citizen being in the cross fire. I'm sure there are shady things on both sides going on. It's hard to side. I would think most people just want to have means to live a happy life. When I visited China last year, people there didn't look that different than us. It's not like they live in concentration camps under the government. It's odd to think that I'd rather be in China than in HK at the moment. People really need to dial it back down a notch or two. HK is going to be absorbed by the Chinese government sooner or later, that's a fact. The only future HK has is to work with China together to make the area prosper again. It's gloomy if they want to fight against China regardless.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    It's hard to gauge from all the stuff floating around. It almost looks as bad as when a black guy gets killed by a white cop in the states. I agree with the merit to fight for democracy but I don't agree with the execution of violent protest. You lose my support once you turn violent with no regard of other people's lives. What's the point of democracy if the price is chaos. It's all so sad. I feel sorry for the citizen being in the cross fire. I'm sure there are shady things on both sides going on. It's hard to side. I would think most people just want to have means to live a happy life. When I visited China last year, people there didn't look that different than us. It's not like they live in concentration camps under the government. It's odd to think that I'd rather be in China than in HK at the moment. People really need to dial it back down a notch or two. HK is going to be absorbed by the Chinese government sooner or later, that's a fact. The only future HK has is to work with China together to make the area prosper again. It's gloomy if they want to fight against China regardless.
    What bothers me is that the goal of these protester is not only democracy but to isolate HK from mainland as much as possible and ultimately seeking indepedence, which appears to contradict the foundation of HK's economy. Let's say if they get what they want, in the end they still have to source utilities from mainland. HK is not a self-sustained economy, cutting business ties with China is suiside.

HK is doomed, low income tax rate does not help at all, if you live in HK earning a decent salary, you end up paying a significant amount for rent, basically is just another form of taxation. If these people really want to live a better life they should just leave and immigrant to places offering affordable housing, otherwise embrace China. But I see no one in this movement is targeting the top rich real estate oligopolies and the land policy, just blame everything on China.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by bob9979 View Post
    What bothers me is that the goal of these protester is not only democracy but to isolate HK from mainland as much as possible and ultimately seeking indepedence, which appears to contradict the foundation of HK's economy. Let's say if they get what they want, in the end they still have to source utilities from mainland. HK is not a self-sustained economy, cutting business ties with China is suiside.

HK is doomed, low income tax rate does not help at all, if you live in HK earning a decent salary, you end up paying a significant amount for rent, basically is just another form of taxation. If these people really want to live a better life they should just leave and immigrant to places offering affordable housing, otherwise embrace China. But I see no one in this movement is targeting the top rich real estate oligopolies and the land policy, just blame everything on China.
    If you want to pin it as kids are acting out before they can afford a home/life, you can both blame China and HK's tax policy.

Chinese's communist government and currency control is why everyone in China is trying to get money out of the country and HK ended up to be the closest safe haven. Even with limited amount of $ getting out, it's already caused havoc on GTA, GVR and Sydney's real estate prices and many other places around the world. HK is unnaturally boosted by this out flow of $.

The no/low tax regime of HK is advertised as competitive advantage to business but you are right that it basically offload the burden to the people for paying high rent/housing cost.

Now street rumor is that these protesters are paid around $500US each to riot. These are not the original protesters and the 2M+ that is actually fighting for something. If anything these violent protesters are counter-productive to the cause.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Chinese's communist government and currency control is why everyone in China is trying to get money out of the country and HK ended up to be the closest safe haven. Even with limited amount of $ getting out, it's already caused havoc on GTA, GVR and Sydney's real estate prices and many other places around the world. HK is unnaturally boosted by this out flow of $.
    So all we need to do is build Alberta catered to China's lifestyle/interest and we will be booming once again. No more reliance on O&G

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    So all we need to do is build Alberta catered to China's lifestyle/interest and we will be booming once again. No more reliance on O&G
    Fuck yeah!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Yeah but if that happens, how many more jabjab threads can Beyond take before critical overload?

Some of these protestors are sad. Just an exploitative opportunity to create chaos and damage.

Without China or Britain, Hong Kong would feel the full brunt of US invasion, heck - even the Saudis might take a shot at it. Taxes and economy are nice in Hong Kong exactly because they don't spend money on defense.

Rocks and sticks that Hong Kong has are even less than what Saddam had.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Name:  4C4C6CEE-E67B-4928-8070-9754F406C351.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  142.8 KB

HKG shut down. All flights cancelled. You know, I’m almost starting to side with China here. There are protests, then there are illegal protests.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Name:  4C4C6CEE-E67B-4928-8070-9754F406C351.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  142.8 KB

HKG shut down. All flights cancelled. You know, I’m almost starting to side with China here. There are protests, then there are illegal protests.
    I thought this is retaliation of someone losing an eye by rubber bullet?

At this point, I don't even know what the end game is. The 5 conditions to call it quits will never be met by China/HKG gov. And Chinese gov knows if they give in to these 5, there will be the next 5 and unrest will start in the rest of the country trying to get their piece.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

well, protests aren't effective if they aren't distruptive. However, HK destroying HK isn't a particularly well thought out strategy. China can let HK get wrecked, they have little to loose.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    well, protests aren't effective if they aren't distruptive. However, HK destroying HK isn't a particularly well thought out strategy. China can let HK get wrecked, they have little to loose.
    If anything, it's the mainland Chinese trying to get $ out of China has lots to lose. Which is fine by Chinese gov anyway as they are trying stop capital flight.

I got a feeling that someone in China is stopping Xi sending in PLA and give the wait and see a try.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-12-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast