Quantcast
Pokemon TCG Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon TCG Thread

Default Pokemon TCG Thread

So my son is in grade 2 and I was luckily able to avoid the entire Pokemon Go insanity last summer, but he recently started getting Pokemon cards from friends as gifts or in gift bags from birthday parties.

He asked me if I knew how to play the game and I didn't but was willing to learn. Turns out it is a pretty good game and has helped him with his reading and math skills along with other things like learning strategies and the effects of actions and consequences.

We attended the Sun and Moon pre-release this weekend at our local card shop and had a great time building decks and playing against others. We even pulled a hyper-rare Umbreon GX card.

It was also nice to see a bunch of smaller kids with their parents (who were also playing) there. It wasn't just a big smelly nerd fest (although they were represented to a degree).

Anyone else on Beyond playing/collecting?

Are the rare cards still worth $100+ like back in the day? I collected and played pokemon when they first came out while I was in elementary. I recently moved and found my collection...I have the first 4 sets complete with various 1st editions mixed in as well as a bunch of rare cards from sets 4 and 5. Also mixed in were yugioh and digimon cards...nastolgia was great flipping through them.

I collected a few of the recent sets - Breakthrough, Generations, Evolutions but have no desire to get any of the Sun & Moon sets.

I don't play though.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Is pokemon still just a basic version of Magic? I played magic as a kid and never got into pokemon as it came out while i already played magic (in like grade 5-6).

I nerded our and attended a magic draft tournament a few months back and it was fun (and dirt cheap... comparing to concerts or nights at the bar etc.) There were a few father son duos there.

Either way playing a CCG with your kid sounds like a good time!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My kid is getting into this. Is there a "Pokemon for dummies" guide anywhere that I can read?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    My kid is getting into this. Is there a "Pokemon for dummies" guide anywhere that I can read?
    Just download the iPad/PC app. It will walk you through the basic mechanics of the game.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have gotten into it, and so have my 2 girls.

I love how it is helping them with her reading skills, math skills, planning, critical thinking and all that, and it brings us all together, even Baygirl is into it.

I have a TON of extra cards if anyone wants some to flesh out their decks for their kids and such.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

I have tons of single's from Breakthrough, Generations & Evolutions. If any of your kids need any just lmk!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I refuse to buy friends' kids video games, but I'll get them Pokemon guides, comics, and cards any day of the week since it encourages them to read and interact with others more. Never got into it myself though.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

if you have stuff from one set (evo/generations etc) does that mean you can only play with folks who have that same set?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

My nephews are into it. They taught me how to play, though I'm not totally certain we're playing by the full set of rules.

Also, the oldest is cheating sonofabitch.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    if you have stuff from one set (evo/generations etc) does that mean you can only play with folks who have that same set?
    To the best of my knowledge, you can mix and match sets that are in the current rotation. There are some "banned" cards that were considered to be way over powered, or could not be countered in some fashion.

Older cards that are not in the current rotation, can not be played in all instances.

The current rotation (Standard Format) for 2017 is:
    XY—Primal Clash
    Double Crisis
    XY—Roaring Skies
    XY—Ancient Origins
    XY—BREAKthrough
    XY—BREAKpoint
    Generations
    XY—Fates Collide
    XY—Steam Siege
    McDonald's Collection 2015
    XY Trainer Kit—Latias and Latios
    XY Trainer Kit—Pikachu Libre and Suicune
    Black Star Promo Cards: XY36 and higher

The expanded format includes the following as well:
    Black & White
    Black & White—Emerging Powers
    Black & White—Noble Victories
    Black & White—Next Destinies
    Black & White—Dark Explorers
    Dragon Vault
    Black & White—Dragons Exalted
    Black & White—Boundaries Crossed
    Black & White—Plasma Storm
    Black & White—Plasma Freeze
    Black & White—Plasma Blast
    Black & White—Legendary Treasures
    Black & White Trainer Kit
    XY—Kalos Starter Set
    XY
    XY—Flashfire
    XY—Furious Fists
    XY—Phantom Forces
    XY—Primal Clash
    Double Crisis
    XY—Roaring Skies
    XY—Ancient Origins
    XY—BREAKthrough
    XY—BREAKpoint
    Generations
    XY—Fates Collide
    XY—Steam Siege
    McDonald's Collection 2011
    McDonald's Collection 2012
    McDonald's Collection 2013
    McDonald's Collection 2014
    McDonald's Collection 2015
    XY Trainer Kit
    XY Trainer Kit—Bisharp and Wigglytuff
    XY Trainer Kit—Latias and Latios
    XY Trainer Kit—Pikachu Libre and Suicune
    Black Star Promo Cards: BW01 and higher, XY01 and higher.

So depends on what you are doing. But, if you are just playing for fun, use any cards you like.

I also registered myself the kids for a sun and moon pre-release party on Saturday.

And Extraslow, if you want some more cards, Let me know, I have so many extras...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

anyone going to any of the pre-release events next weekend?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

So, my inner geek is going to be on full exposure here, but, after playing Pokemon with my kids, I really liked the TCG format, but found myself kinda bored at the idea of looking at pokemon all day. I started looking around and came across Magic: The Gathering as a more "adult" themed TCG. Way more critical thought and planning needed and i gotta say, the player base is HUGE! I can't believe I haven't heard of this before. I have started collecting Magic cards now and I am trying to build decks for when I want to geek out and have some adult time at a game store.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    rally pig

have lost interest with MTG 10 years ago but still have some old/rare cards for collection.

i find that the new rules are getting complicated but yeah, pretty fun game and nice artworks too

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    So, my inner geek is going to be on full exposure here, but, after playing Pokemon with my kids, I really liked the TCG format, but found myself kinda bored at the idea of looking at pokemon all day. I started looking around and came across Magic: The Gathering as a more "adult" themed TCG. Way more critical thought and planning needed and i gotta say, the player base is HUGE! I can't believe I haven't heard of this before. I have started collecting Magic cards now and I am trying to build decks for when I want to geek out and have some adult time at a game store.
    You should check out the commander variant. Tons of fun. My buddies and I play every other week. Just hang out, have some drinks and play MTG haha

also: the pre-release event for Dominaria is this weekend. Pre releases are always a good way to learn and try out the new mechanics in a set

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    have lost interest with MTG 10 years ago but still have some old/rare cards for collection.

i find that the new rules are getting complicated but yeah, pretty fun game and nice artworks too
    Yeah, I agree. There are a lot of weird "triggers" that are hard to keep track of, especially me as a newer player.

Quote Originally Posted by eglove View Post
    You should check out the commander variant. Tons of fun. My buddies and I play every other week. Just hang out, have some drinks and play MTG haha

also: the pre-release event for Dominaria is this weekend. Pre releases are always a good way to learn and try out the new mechanics in a set
    Yeah, i wanted to goto the pre-release this weekend, but i gotta work, unfortunately.

I have been playing standard now since about a week before Hour of Devastation came out, and a few buddies told me to make the leap to modern. So I made my first modern deck "Bogles" and played my first tournament last Saturday and went undefeated lol. Normally I get my ass handed to me and i often leave a tournament with 0-1 wins, so it was nice to finally smash some face.

I have built a random elves commander deck, but it is pretty weak. I get steamrolled with it pretty much every time.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    RSTi

I've been playing since 94...it's fun. Expensive as fuck, but fun haha.

Mostly prereleases and Commander.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Not sure if this is the right thread.. saw Pokemon cards and thats about my extent of knowledge.

Anyways... cleaning out some of the toys and items my kids dont play with anymore, and the Wife listed a binder of Pokemon cards (EX and GX I think?) on FB marketplace for $20 and was instantly swamped with replies. One person told her that they would be worth around $200 for what we had listed.. but we have no idea. Is there a good site or shop to being them to to find approximate value? Not sure if its like hockey cards that have to be graded etc..

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread.. saw Pokemon cards and thats about my extent of knowledge.

Anyways... cleaning out some of the toys and items my kids dont play with anymore, and the Wife listed a binder of Pokemon cards (EX and GX I think?) on FB marketplace for $20 and was instantly swamped with replies. One person told her that they would be worth around $200 for what we had listed.. but we have no idea. Is there a good site or shop to being them to to find approximate value? Not sure if its like hockey cards that have to be graded etc..
    Check ebay... I don't deal or have any knowledge of pokemon but that's generally the gold standard when it comes to collectible cards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast