Quantcast
Small Business Owner Help MEGA Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Small Business Owner Help MEGA Thread

Default Small Business Owner Help MEGA Thread

Has something like this been tried before?

Basically, I find small business owner resources to be woefully lacking if you are doing anything outside the norm. Or everything is so spread out on the internet that it's difficult to aggregate useful info.

Maybe this thread could be of use. I'm thinking mostly for pointing to resources in a format like:

Stated problem
    Resource (be it website, person, or company) used to resolve the issue. I suppose even a suggested "procedure" for how to do something would be useful
    If you are happy with the resolution

I have a few small businesses that rely on shipping (both parcel and freight) so I've found some handy resources along the way.

Problem:
    Expensive/slow parcel shipments in North America (originating in Canada)

Resource:
    Paypal/Netparcel
    https://www.paypal.com/ca/business/shipping/net-parcel

This is a relatively new service Paypal started offering in Canada in 2019(?) . For someone starting an e-commerce based business, I can't find any rates lower (mainly through Purolator rates). UPS is also competitive. For shipping to the USA, this is a no brainer, next day shipping prices through UPS are great.

Now, you may get better rates elsewhere if you are established and have high volumes. I strictly am recommending this for new startups at this time as I don't know if it scales well.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Anything going to the US ship via ChitChats. They take packages down to Montana and mail them USPS from there. It's insane how much cheaper and faster it is.

Here to Florida under 1lb is about 5$, takes 3-5 days with full tracking. Canada Post that's 15-20$ and takes a couple weeks.

DYKPost does importing as well though their fees are high as they charge fuel, border storage, brokerage fees, etc but having something 2-day shipped to Montana then in Calgary the next day can be really handy. Also since many places have 'free' US shipping but then charge you the full amount to ship international its often cheaper to use them.

That's all really good info. My priorities were shipping speed and my items are small, but quite dense (minimum 1.5lb, but package size never over 8" x 8" x 8").

I'm going to look into those services if they can lower my costs further for people willing to wait.

Learned something new, appreciate it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's all really good info. My priorities were shipping speed and my items are small, but quite dense (minimum 1.5lb, but package size never over 8" x 8" x 8").

I'm going to look into those services if they can lower my costs further for people willing to wait.

Learned something new, appreciate it.
    For 1.5 lbs, 8x8x8 it says 16.5$cad via USPS priority. So it'd be there Thursday if shipped Monday by 6pm.

If you can fit it in the flat rate priority bubble mailers (9.5x12.5") which I still stick boxes in them, it just has to fit, then it's 12.8$ for any weight.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 02-22-2021 at 01:59 PM.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

If you don't have alot of SKUs and move enough products ( at least a few a day consistently), you can always consider just shipping bulk to a fulfillment center in the States and then ship from there.

What kind of shipping volume are you doing at the moment?