Quantcast
U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012 - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Ah that's too bad, I'll make sure to avoid that one.

Ah c'mon, I'm going to look extra pervy but I think it's a great cause! You're a married man right, chicks love moustache rides :rofl

Having some trouble recruiting people within the program, none of the international students understand it.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 11-01-2018 at 01:48 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Does the MBA program get any better? Just wrapping up the first semester and between the quality of professors and material, the whole program has been an absolute joke and waste of my time. The accounting course is the only useful thing to me so far.

So far I had MGST 611 - managerial Econ, OBHR 601 - .org behaviour, MGST 623 - managerial modeling, SGMA 601 - strategic mgmt, BSEB 777 - business law, ACCT 601 - accounting.

Beginning to feel that my time is much better spent doing other things..

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Managerial Econ was pretty unorganized, strategic management was terrible.

Accounting was good (but I hear this Varys significant by prof), I had OBHR with Justin which was pretty fluffy but ended up being a lot of work in a topic I had never really addressed before.

I haven’t taken 777 (but I think my 777 is different than yours since the program requirements have changed.

I really got a lot out of the finance courses personally.

Overall I maintain that you get out of the courses what you want to, if they don’t interest you I doubt you will get much out of them.

I also took them at a much different pace (2-3 at a time in the evening) rather than full time.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-04-2018 at 06:45 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Does the MBA program get any better? Just wrapping up the first semester and between the quality of professors and material, the whole program has been an absolute joke and waste of my time. The accounting course is the only useful thing to me so far.

So far I had MGST 611 - managerial Econ, OBHR 601 - .org behaviour, MGST 623 - managerial modeling, SGMA 601 - strategic mgmt, BSEB 777 - business law, ACCT 601 - accounting.

I have only had one dud course soo far. and that was ENTI 601 because the course instructor was crap. I took ENTI 783 (CDL) and MGST 715. The block week course was fairly interesting as well. The accelerated program has been pretty good with the students and quality of instructors has been good.

haha I tell everyone I meet in their first semester to keep expectations low and you'll enjoy the program because the program is brutal lol.

That's just my opinion. Happy to be done soon!

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by ickyflex View Post
    haha I tell everyone I meet in their first semester to keep expectations low and you'll enjoy the program because the program is brutal lol.

That's just my opinion. Happy to be done soon!
    Lol, good insight. It just keeps getting worse and more laughable as time goes on. My cohort is fucking terrible too, so certainly doesn't help. Most of the students haven't worked at all or were sales managers at enterprise rent a car or some shit. Great networking opportunity my ass. Thought they wanted everyone to have at least 5 years work experience.. Oh well, head down ass up for 3 more semesters and I'll never look back.

Just out of curiosity, but have any of you ever actually encountered an employer that cared about your grades? So many people are so worried about grades, but I've never encountered an employer who would weigh your application on your grades vs. work experience and work achievements....

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Only area I have heard where grades have ever come up is entry level ibanking positions. As a joke our ceo asked the last engineer we hired what his grades were in High school lol.

That sucks about your cohort, mine is definitely a good mix of people. But no one really takes evening unless they are already working with the exception of a few lazy weirdos who I stay the fuck away from.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

Lol, good insight. It just keeps getting worse and more laughable as time goes on. My cohort is fucking terrible too, so certainly doesn't help. Most of the students haven't worked at all or were sales managers at enterprise rent a car or some shit. Great networking opportunity my ass. Thought they wanted everyone to have at least 5 years work experience.. Oh well, head down ass up for 3 more semesters and I'll never look back.

Just out of curiosity, but have any of you ever actually encountered an employer that cared about your grades? So many people are so worried about grades, but I've never encountered an employer who would weigh your application on your grades vs. work experience and work achievements....
    If someone is asking about your MBA grades, you are in the wrong place having the wrong conversation about the wrong opportunity.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I didn't see any updates about this but could it be that BB's cohort sucks is because he's not in the evening program where most people are currently working?
    Or did he switch and in evening too?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Nope still daytime, looking at switching to evening next summer. Just gotta see if I can still finish in <2 years. I also value my spare time a lot, so not sure how badly I really want to make the move because I would want to return to work full time if I did evening. Sounds like the evening program + work is quite a lot? Did have a block week class recently with a bunch of evening dudes and they all seemed great though.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 01-07-2019 at 02:47 PM.

My Ride

Well honestly one reasons I would go into evening is so I'm not stuck with daytime unemployed folk with limited experience who are useless to network with.
    That in itself should be worth it.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Well honestly one reasons I would go into evening is so I'm not stuck with daytime unemployed folk with limited experience who are useless to network with.
    That in itself should be worth it.
    This is why I'm targeting EMBA programs. Cohort should be full of other people willing to bust ass while still working FT and taking care of family duties.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

EMBA are also more rigorous on work experience requirements. Pretty hard minimum or 7 years actual working experience.

Should weed out the undergrads who are just trying to upgrade their letters.

Working with daytime students is painful, they have no concept that I can’t just leave work for a couple hours to have a Bs discussion about a project. Then on the weekend before a big deadline they pull a “oh well I am going on a big ski trip so I can’t do anything until Monday”

fact.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    EMBA are also more rigorous on work experience requirements. Pretty hard minimum or 7 years actual working experience.
    Which IMO most people should have before even doing an MBA. EMBA should be minimum 10 I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Working with daytime students is painful, they have no concept that I can’t just leave work for a couple hours to have a Bs discussion about a project. Then on the weekend before a big deadline they pull a “oh well I am going on a big ski trip so I can’t do anything until Monday”
    Haha and what's worse is on their end, they're thinking you're lazy/not committed and have no life.

I'm in the evening program and generally feel as though most people I meet are fairly similar. I relay all of this back to work so people go into the program knowing what they are getting into. Nothing more disappointing then expecting it to be productive when it is not at all for all.

Never heard of anyone asking about grades, and honestly I probably have put in about 20% of the effort into my MBA than my undergrad and am doing far better than I ever did in undergrad. The idea that this program requires any sort of effort other than showing up is a lie lol. The profs will never fail you (<B-).

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Well one more semester I will switch to mostly evening classes and start becoming more involved with my businesses.

I think they've changed the narrative lately, and you can indeed fail. Over 4 students received failing grades last semester.

Talking with a lot of the EMBA students, they seem like a bunch of... Super intelligent individuals..

Well one more semester I will switch to mostly evening classes and start becoming more involved with my businesses.

I think they've changed the narrative lately, and you can indeed fail. Over 4 students received failing grades last semester.

Talking with a lot of the EMBA students, they seem like a bunch of... Super intelligent individuals..

I find that very surprising! I have never heard of anyone getting less than a B in a class. Maybe it's changed!

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I had a hard time deciding between the EMBA and the Evening MBA. Even though my company is paying I just could not justify the cost difference. So far evening has been fine. You really get a taste for the people difference when you have a block week class with the daytime folks.
    My evening program seems to be all employed working in decent jobs that dont seem to care too much about their grades. Working with the daytime group in blockweek is an entire different bag. Mostly full time students/unemployed/underemployed and younger by far with a focus on straight A's thinking that will get them a job.

This semester was MGST 797 for block week (was ok honestly) , then have OBHR 721, SGMA 751 and ENTI 797 (CDL) which should be fun.

My Ride
    2002 e46

Cohort can definitely matter, when I enrolled it was after the 2008 downturn, so there were a lot more professionals that used to have downtown gigs that were let go and looking to pivot. Not as many international students either. I also remember my cohort being super social so the networking was on more than a professional level....the next years cohort after us...duds; couple of gems, but not many.

None of my employers cared about the grades, but did require a copy of my degree (also didn't hurt having a letter of recommendation from Dewald)

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I did my evening MBA at the U of A a few years ago. One of the courses I did was a blended undergrad MBA class, so I ended up in a group with 3 undergrad business students. Eff that! I forgot how immature undergrads were and that made me double check all my future courses to make sure that never happened again.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast