Quantcast
2019 CX3 Battery issue - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2019 CX3 Battery issue

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Flexray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he can get the battery replaced under warranty, he should. But I wouldn't get the dealer to diagnose the draw. Manufacturers try everything they can to deny warranty claims.

Dealership technicians are paid flat rate (piece work). Easy things like fluid services, brakes, steering, and suspension pay well and are easy to make time on. Diagnostics and problem solving are a lot harder to make time on. If the technician is not good at time management he/she is going to get hosed on his paycheque. This forces the technician to put the need to get paid above what is best for the customer and their vehicle. It has created a system where the more you know the less you make. This has driven most of the talent out of the dealership. Each dealer usually has one or two skilled old guys that are close to retirement and are just riding it out. But the shop is generally staffed with a bunch of parts throwers.

Parasitic draws are one of the hardest and most expensive problems to solve. It will take a skilled technician a few hours to figure out and usually results in a $2000 module being replaced. If it gets misdiagnosed, sadly the customer still gets arm-twisted into paying the bill and still has a broken vehicle.
    TLDR, a $50 battery maintainer is cheaper.

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    TLDR, a $50 battery maintainer is cheaper.
    I'm sorry that you cannot afford to fix your vehicle properly. Owning a vehicle on a tight budget must be hard.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Flexray View Post
    I'm sorry that you cannot afford to fix your vehicle properly. Owning a vehicle on a tight budget must be hard.
    I'm sorry the stealership doesn't pay you what you feel you're worth...perhaps you should find another job

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    I'm sorry the stealership doesn't pay you what you feel you're worth...perhaps you should find another job
    I don't work for a dealer. That is kinda my point, dealerships are not paying technicians what they are worth. So they are leaving. Almost every dealer in Calgary is always looking for techs.

I gave the OP my opinion about the problem that he is having, just trying to help the guy out.
    Last edited by Flexray; 01-12-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Update:

I brought the car back to the dealership. They once again replaced the battery (no charge, which I appreciated). They were unable to find a parasitic draw. I was told to drive the car every day for at least 30 minutes. Currently, I drive my car about three times a week.

They also suggested I purchase a battery maintainer. I know many people with similar vehicles that drive their cars even less that I do but do not have this problem. If I were using the car only a couple of times a month, I would understand the battery issue, but I am struggling getting my head around having to drive a car daily in order to maintain a battery!

My Questions:
    Is this battery draw problem common in the CX3?
    Is there a specific number of km or miles I must drive each day/week to prevent this?
    Is there a specific number of minutes I must drive daily to prevent this?

Could this yet be an undiagnosed parasitic drain?
    Is this simply a lemon or would this happen with any vehicle, Mazda or otherwise?
    Last edited by duckley; 03-20-2022 at 11:43 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

1) Parasitic drains are a widespread issue. They are also very difficult to diagnose and repair.
    2) driving the car more often is a poor solution
    3) battery maintainer is a very good and simple solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

I feel that there is definitely something wrong wrt parasitic draw and they have failed to diagnose it yet. While it's not easy to do, a dealership should be familiar enough with their lineup to have this nailed and they don't.
    The battery tender is a solution to the problem which hasn't been fixed and you can live the rest of the car's life this way with almost no inconvenience. So, that's a pretty good option.

The second option is to find a more competent shop and pay major dollars to find the issue and fix it. Maybe try a different Mazda dealer?

Can anyone explain how the battery maintainer is used. I assume it cannot be installed. I don't have a garage. If I have to open my hood and to attach and detach clamps everyday that seems a tad inconvenient to me.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by duckley View Post
    Can anyone explain how the battery maintainer is used. I assume it cannot be installed. I don't have a garage. If I have to open my hood and to attach and detach clamps everyday that seems a tad inconvenient to me.
    It's simpler than that. They come with a + & - that you permanently connect to the battery and at the other end is a simple plug-in connector.
    You open hood, connect, close hood and sleep easy. The charger part lives in your garage plugged into an outlet near the front of your car.

Name:  Screenshot_20220320-135829_Gallery.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  478.7 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Canadian Tire has multiple options for you. All will come with ring terminal for permanent attachment. Clamps not required.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

So the battery maintainer is installed permanently under the hood and it just plugs in like a block heater? All I have to do is plug the car in? I do not have a garage.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There's two types. Permanent "onboard" type (noco 2D for example) then the kind that has a detachable harness on the battery, and the charger itself stays outside the hood. You'll figure it out.

My Ride
    *The First*

So the battery maintainer is installed permanently under the hood and it just plugs in like a block heater? All I have to do is plug the car in? I do not have a garage.
    Without a garage, you'd simply install the wires on the battery and then plug the charger in every time you parked at home, but the added inconvenience would be that you'd need to set the charging unit somewhere under the hood and close it.
    This is getting to be an unreasonable amount of ass pain for a new vehicle. Find a dealer that can find the real problem and fix it while it's still under warranty.

It does seem ridiculous. I will try another dealer or find the money to see if another mechanic can find the problem

I'm currently working on this same issue with my car. Got it narrowed down to the door lock or central locking system. What I think is happening is micro switch in the door lock senses the door open even when it's closed and thus not allowing the car to go into sleep mode

I recently heard about this. Hope you can fix it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

dbl post
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-20-2022 at 08:58 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-GENIUS2D-...dp/B07W3QSMF9/

Tiny, mount somewhere under the hood and route the plug to front bump wherever is safe. Then it's just another plug like a block heater.

But really, if you only drive the car a couple times a month and it's street parked so it's soaked with whatever shit City of Calgary is throwing on the road every winter, it's probably rusted somewhere causing the parasitic loss. Just sell you car and ride uber or something. Do you really need the headache for something that sit there and depreciate and give you headache?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-20-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    https://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-GENIUS2D-...dp/B07W3QSMF9/

Tiny, mount somewhere under the hood and route the plug to front bump wherever is safe. Then it's just another plug like a block heater.

But really, if you only drive the car a couple times a month and it's street parked so it's soaked with whatever shit City of Calgary is throwing on the road every winter, it's probably rusted somewhere causing the parasitic loss. Just sell you car and ride uber or something. Do you really need the headache for something that sit there and depreciate and give you headache?
    Thanks for the link - I drive the car three or four times a week so my car is well used. I have a driveway and can do a plug in.

There are ways to check parasitic drain.
    Multimeter and start pulling fuses and have a friend check the readings. That'll help narrow it.
    Try jabjabs circuit first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast